Filling the 15th Roster Spot

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Motley being waived yesterday the Suns now have 1 roster spot available and I think they'll need to fill it. If they don't fill that then they need to sign a big to the remaining Two-Way spot they have available because they don't have any depth at Center and could use some insurance for other positions as well.

I think backup C is the most glaring need, even with Saric pencilled in as a backup C like he was in the bubble. Saric won't be able to bang inside against the Lakers and Jazz of the league and Damien Jones shouldn't be more than the 3rd C on any depth chart, seeing about as many minutes as Diallo did last year, if not less.

So I thought I'd start this thread to discuss who is still out there that the Suns could sign to either backup Ayton, play 3rd string C, or be a Two-Way big. I know others here have mentioned grabbing another backup PG but I think we'll be fine with PG by committee like we have now with Payne, Carter, Galloway, Moore, and Point Book.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also recall talk of the league expanding available rosters for games to 15 this year because of concerns of COVID and the compacted schedule possibly reducing primary players minutes and availability. I'm not sure if that was approved or not but I recall talk that it would be approved so it would definitely benefit the Suns to go with 15 players, or at least utilizing both Two-Way spots. The number of games a Two-Way player can play has been increased to 50 this year because of concerns for player availability so using that second spot would also help.

Here is some info on that, but if anyone knows if this was definitely approved, expanding the active roster for games to 15 players, please let me know.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/03/report-nba-to-expand-active-game-roster-to-15-due-to-covid-19/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where talking Budget here not salary cap. Why have two cooks in the kitchen when only one is needed. If he gets sick hire another one.
Not very pro active but that's what well get.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where talking Budget here not salary cap. Why have two cooks in the kitchen when only one is needed. If he gets sick hire another one.
Not very pro active but that's what well get.

Damien Jones, the number 2 Center on the roster right now, is on a partially guaranteed deal and they could waive him if they find someone who would be an improvement. He signed for the league minimum and only 350k is guaranteed of the $1.73 he's due so budget wise it really wouldn't cost much at all to replace him and it would be worth it if they believe someone out there is better. They could even sign someone and make sure they're better before cutting Jones because that 350k he's guaranteed is what he'd make through approximately 1/5 of the season. After that is when the deal actually costs the Suns. I'm not sure of the date that deals become guaranteed this year but it used to be January 1st, 2 1/2 months into the season.

Signing someone to a minimum deal is basically all they can do since they're capped out. They have the Bi-Annual Exception available but I don't believe anyone available is worth that. So a minimum deal that isn't guaranteed is likely what they'd sign someone to if they weren't sure he'd stick around all season, which is a minimal investment.

EDIT: I just saw that Jones deal is fully guaranteed for the season if he's on the roster opening night. So he may still be waived and the Suns will just be on the hook for that $350k but they'll need to decide soon if they do plan on cutting him. Link to contract info for Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also recall talk of the league expanding available rosters for games to 15 this year because of concerns of COVID and the compacted schedule possibly reducing primary players minutes and availability. I'm not sure if that was approved or not but I recall talk that it would be approved so it would definitely benefit the Suns to go with 15 players, or at least utilizing both Two-Way spots. The number of games a Two-Way player can play has been increased to 50 this year because of concerns for player availability so using that second spot would also help.

Here is some info on that, but if anyone knows if this was definitely approved, expanding the active roster for games to 15 players, please let me know.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/03/report-nba-to-expand-active-game-roster-to-15-due-to-covid-19/

To my knowledge, it was approved for NBA teams to expand their active roster to 15 players on game day.

https://www.nba.com/news/teams-allowed-to-carry-15-players-on-active-roster-for-2020-21-season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damien Jones, the number 2 Center on the roster right now, is on a partially guaranteed deal and they could waive him if they find someone who would be an improvement. He signed for the league minimum and only 350k is guaranteed of the $1.73 he's due so budget wise it really wouldn't cost much at all to replace him and it would be worth it if they believe someone out there is better. They could even sign someone and make sure they're better before cutting Jones because that 350k he's guaranteed is what he'd make through approximately 1/5 of the season. After that is when the deal actually costs the Suns. I'm not sure of the date that deals become guaranteed this year but it used to be January 1st, 2 1/2 months into the season.

Signing someone to a minimum deal is basically all they can do since they're capped out. They have the Bi-Annual Exception available but I don't believe anyone available is worth that. So a minimum deal that isn't guaranteed is likely what they'd sign someone to if they weren't sure he'd stick around all season, which is a minimal investment.

EDIT: I just saw that Jones deal is fully guaranteed for the season if he's on the roster opening night. So he may still be waived and the Suns will just be on the hook for that $350k but they'll need to decide soon if they do plan on cutting him. Link to contract info for Jones.

Everything I have read indicates Monty is very pleased with Damian Jones.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Why do you keep saying Jones is the #2 center? He’s not.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw Gerald Green is out there. JJ loves his shooters!

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton plays 32 of the minutes at the 5.
Saric plays the other 16.

Nobody else available that’s nearly as good as Saric.
Just need to hope they stay healthy!

We have plenty of capable guards.
We could use a wing.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just saw AZ Sports is saying the Suns are at 15 AFTER waiving Motley???

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw AZ Sports is saying the Suns are at 15 AFTER waiving Motley???

Agree with ColdPickleNachos.

The Suns roster stands at 14 with one opening on the regular roster and room for another player on a two-way contract.

The other two-way contract belongs to Ty-Shon Alexander.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do you keep saying Jones is the #2 center? He’s not.

Saric is not a true C and will be splitting his time between small ball C and PF off the bench. When we play teams with size then Jones will be the #2 C on the roster. If you think someone else will then I'd like to know who because I don't see it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saric is not a true C and will be splitting his time between small ball C and PF off the bench. When we play teams with size then Jones will be the #2 C on the roster. If you think someone else will then I'd like to know who because I don't see it.
He will spend a majority of time at center. That’s just a fact.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jones has been the clear backup to Ayton the whole pre-season. I really hope that's not the case going forward. Saric can handle some minutes there, and you could even have Jae defend the 5 spot and play a small ball 3pt shooting lineup.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Jones has been the clear backup to Ayton the whole pre-season. I really hope that's not the case going forward. Saric can handle some minutes there, and you could even have Jae defend the 5 spot and play a small ball 3pt shooting lineup.
Because Saric was out. Why does everyone think Jones is a primary backup to Ayton??

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because Saric was out. Why does everyone think Jones is a primary backup to Ayton??

Saric is still out, and it doesn't look like he will be back in time for the start of the season...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damian Jones is the Suns only true backup center.

Saric might rotate there between the first and second unit along with Smith. However, if Saric is not ready to go, Jones and Smith will get some minutes there.

For example if Saric is out, the Suns will have match-up problems against Dallas bench players such as Marjanovic and Cauley-Stein. This is where the Suns will need Damian Jones.

The same can happen against the Kings. Who is going to match-up with Whiteside off the bench?

Suns could really use another big man when opposing teams go big with their second unit.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Against some teams he is the primary backup.

Last year proved that strong 7 footers can own Dario down low.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones will prove useful when we need to go bigger. Smith is obviously smaller than we thought. Jones provides huge athleticism that does two things, lobs and can make anyone think a little before they try to score on him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Jones will prove useful when we need to go bigger. Smith is obviously smaller than we thought. Jones provides huge athleticism that does two things, lobs and can make anyone think a little before they try to score on him.
I was impressed that the Lakers center tried to back down Stix and was not able to do it. So maybe he has that Bo Outlaw strength?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was impressed that the Lakers center tried to back down Stix and was not able to do it. So maybe he has that Bo Outlaw strength?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now the report (courtesy of rotoworld.com) is that Saric hasn't been able to progress beyond 5 on 0 drills in practice. He is at least a week from playing, if not significantly longer...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score