Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

Discussion in 'NAU and All Non-Arizona College Sports' started by Dback Jon, Feb 23, 2018.

1. TJ

TJ Suge White

NC State. No surprise.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Wondering if #2 is Louisville, Arizona or someone else? I initially assumed Arizona would be one of the first two based on the wording in the CBS story but now I'm not so sure.

3. TJ

TJ Suge White

Arizona wont be #2. Louisville, Kansas, USC, Auburn, or anyone else who had players ineligible.

4. Russ Smith

They changed the wording of that story to say it wasn't just schools that had ineligible players. That's why I had assumed it was going to be arizona when they said coaches who were mentioned in the most recent trial were going to be involved since Miller clearly was.

I had heard rumors yesterday that Arizona was about to get notified along with one other but now that I see NC State is the first I'm thinking it won't be because I assumed Louisville would be 1 of the first 2.

On that list I think Kansas is the only school who had an ineligible player and he didn't play and has been reinstated. USC sat Melton, Louisville never played Bowen he never even really got to school.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

They must have gotten lost on Tobacco Road and missed Duke and UNC.

Russ Smith likes this.
  6. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Like a horse with blinders. Jesus.

7. TJ

TJ Suge White

I never said that Arizona wasn’t getting nailed. I said it won’t be one of the ones who gets a NOA in the first wave. We didn’t have anyone who was ruled ineligible. Just facts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    ozzfloyd likes this.
  8. Russ Smith

So based on the transcripts the FBI released I would say the biggest concern for Arizona is if I'm reading Book and Dawkins correctly they are talking about Ayton, in June before he'd played, and discussing how he'll clear(NCAA clearinghouse) and they both are saying they think already has someone(an agent) and if he does that's ok, if not your boy(Miller) said he'd allow them(Dawkins and Book) to try and work a deal with him. And then Dawkins said he should already have a bag(money presumably) and they discuss Miller is taking care of them which gets into the 10 a month that came out in the trial.

So obviously it could just be Book talking BS but if I read that right, it's Book on tape telling Dawkins that a kid he expects to clear, Ayton, probably already has an agent, probably already has been paid, and if Miller would step aside might agree to work with them. Which would mean an assistant coach at Arizona is under the impression his star recruit has violated his amateur status, and yet is openly saying they think he'll clear meaning we are going to play a kid knowing full well he shouldn't actually be eligible.

They talk about Alkins too and that's the same old story they had reason to believe he wasn't eligible and played him but it all depends on if you believe he or his "cousin" actually got any money. The way its' worded it sounds like Alkins initially got money BEFORE Dawkins and the FBI got involved but it's not clear.

So certainly not a good look for Arizona but probably no smoking gun there beyond clearly if Book really believed what he said, he should have informed the compliance officer that Alkins and Ayton were ineligible.

9. Russ Smith

Utah's probation is certainly interesting. Cited for failure to have an atmosphere of compliance. Apparently the biggest violation was assistant Tommy Connor misread the recruiting calendar and not only contacted a recruiting during an NCAA dead period, he set up a visit with the entire coaching staff during the dead period. When their Coach K figured out the mistake they self reported to the Pac 12 and the NCAA. Another major violation cited by the NCAA was allowing coaches to attend a "scrimmage" that featured a recruitable age prospect who was not committed. that prospect, is one of Coach K's 3 sons, apparently they only had 9 guys so he was the 10th guy so they could run 5 on 5, the coaches being there was completely within NCAA rules, except for the 10th guy not being a Utah player. So they could have run the scrimmage but all the coaches by rule should have left the gym, failing to do so, gave them an unfair recruiting advantage with the recruitable age kid. Again I would think being his father was already a pretty big advantage, it's not clear which son it was but one of them is apparently in a post grad year and being recruited by Ivy league schools, the other one is not a Pac 12 level recruit, the 3rd was a soph in HS. So they're being cited for getting an unfair advantage with the coaches son, who they apparently are not even actually recruiting.

Connor got a 1 year show cause for his transgression.

10. DWKB

DWKB Registered

So, is Utah the second shoe? NCAA pulled a bait and switch right now.

11. Russ Smith

No, they weren't connected to the FBI story.

The thing is the NCAA doesn't publicize letters of allegations they just send them. NC State got one and made it public, Auburn publicly said they expect to get one. We have no idea if they sent out more and if so who got them because the NCAA doesn't tell us.

The assumption is based on what was said there will be 5 or 6 other schools getting them and some of them probably already got them and just haven't made it public

12. Russ Smith

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27390195/avenatti-filing-nike-okd-payments-zion-more

Some interesting stuff if Avenatti has the emails mentioned. They were going to pay Zion 35k, Romeo Langford 20, and unnamed minor kid believed to be Emoni Bates 15K. Zion went to a Nike school, Langford went to an Adidas school so presumably got more from them. Bates, was 13 when this discussion was ongoing.

If they have the emails will the NCAA actually look at Nike and Duke?

13. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I think the NCAA will continue their approach to have schools hold internal investigation and police themselves and hope this all goes away in time. Unless CONCRETE proof is discovered nothing will happen to the blue bloods. Coach K has a better chance of retiring than Duke getting hit with sanctions.

14. Russ Smith

Duke again denying any wrongdoing after reports Zion was one of the players involved in the scheme Avenatti is exposing.

Ayton again came up as ESPN says he's one of the players and there's details of payments of over 65K to his family and friends before he got to Arizona via Nike.