Favorite Hawaiian Foods

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been in Honolulu 3 months now and I've had the chance to try a lot of the local dishes.

I'm really, really liking Poke which is basically sashimi-grade ahi tuna (or salmon) marinaded with soy sauce, sesame oil, red chilis and some other spices. The local Costco sells several varieties of fresh made poke for about $15/pound. So, no - it's not cheap (but yummy).

Another one I really like is the Loco Moco - ultimate comfort food (high cholesterol count included!) Basically a scoop of white rice, topped with a burger patty, topped with a fried egg, all drenched in brown gravy.

One that is very popular here (but I find so-so) is the Spam Sushi (Musubi as it's called here). Every convenience store carries them and even McDonald's has it on their menus here.

http://www.hawaiifoodtours.com/hawaiianfood.html

You must be registered for see images attach

Spam Musubi

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm going to have to put you on ignore now...no offense. I can't get the aloha here, this hippie be starving. The "local" beef over there is to die for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
This Loco Moco looks yummy! Except the gravy should be OVER the egg, not the rice.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
These are the types of meals that let you only eat twice a day while staying active. This is why folks on the islands are so sexy, if your active. :D Man...you can surf for 8 hours on a good meal.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love loco moco. My wife and I ate at a place on Oahu, Hukilau Cafe, I really liked their loco moco. I think it was on Man vs Food or Diners Drive ins and Dives. Can't remember which.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kalua pork is the best Hawaiian food EVER!
You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the pork? That plate better not cost more than $5 will all the crap lettuce and rice. #whereisthepork :)

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Where is the pork? That plate better not cost more than $5 will all the crap lettuce and rice. #whereisthepork :)

That's what is called a plate lunch. Always includes a scoops of white rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. Good thing a lot of places offer a "mini-plate" which is a half portion size.

They usually cost around $8-$9 for the regular size.

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And ask them to hold the lettuce.

There is no lettuce in a plate lunch. That's cabbage.

Best Hawaiian food I've found in AZ: Leo's Island BBQ in Peoria. (On Bell in front of the Barnes and Noble.)

They talk pidgin, lots of hapas and I be happy when I go. Katsu chicken, ribs, you give me extra macaroni no cabbage? Mahalo.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been in Honolulu 3 months now and I've had the chance to try a lot of the local dishes.

I'm really, really liking Poke which is basically sashimi-grade ahi tuna (or salmon) marinaded with soy sauce, sesame oil, red chilis and some other spices. The local Costco sells several varieties of fresh made poke for about $15/pound. So, no - it's not cheap (but yummy).

Another one I really like is the Loco Moco - ultimate comfort food (high cholesterol count included!) Basically a scoop of white rice, topped with a burger patty, topped with a fried egg, all drenched in brown gravy.

One that is very popular here (but I find so-so) is the Spam Sushi (Musubi as it's called here). Every convenience store carries them and even McDonald's has it on their menus here.

Spam Musubi
Not a big Poke fan since I'm not a sushi fan that much overall

Loco Moco - yes, love that stuff. I try to make it at home, but just not the same.

Spam Musubi - another big winner here. Spam has a long tradition in HI. I actually like Ono's BBQ spam musubi. The rest of the stuff at Ono's blows.

YES!!!!

I tried it but was underwhelmed by it. Like shredded pork but with a smoky flavor. Maybe I should try it at a different place :shrug:
The only place to have good Kalua pork is in HI and I'd actually recommend one of the other islands besides Oahu/Honolulu since it's such a touristy area. Go to a luau since kalua pork is supposed to be cooked in the ground, not some electrical device.

I've had good luck with kalua pork on Kauai. On the mainland you won't find many places that make actual kalua pork unless it's cooked it in the ground - it is a 7hr process. Even then, unless they wrap the pig like it should be (banana leaves, koa wood, burlap, etc) it won't be close.

Oh, and where is the love for poi poi????? That's quite possibly one of the worst things I've ever eaten no matter how people suggest to flavor it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Spam Musubi

We are headed to Hawaii in a week. Love the food there.

Poke is to die for and Spam Sushi is awesome.

Malasadas are awesome.

Hawaiian Linguica is awesome. It's basically a sweeter version of the Portuguese sausage.

Hawaiian Shaved Ice is a favorite of mine as well.

Of course Hawaiian BBQ plates are to die for. Basically a version of Korean BBQ.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
We are headed to Hawaii in a week. Love the food there.

Poke is to die for and Spam Sushi is awesome.

Malasadas are awesome.

Hawaiian Linguica is awesome. It's basically a sweeter version of the Portuguese sausage.

Hawaiian Shaved Ice is a favorite of mine as well.

Of course Hawaiian BBQ plates are to die for. Basically a version of Korean BBQ.

Don't forget the Hula Dogs! (in Waikiki)

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Oh yeah that reminds me. Dole Whip from the Dole plantation. Basically Pineapple soft serve ice cream.

that stuff is yummy ... may have to make a trip up there this weekend to get some.

OT: The west coast of Oahu (or Ewa-bound as the locals call it) kinda reminds me of Sedona. A lot drier and you actually see some cacti heading towards Ko'olina.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that stuff is yummy ... may have to make a trip up there this weekend to get some.

OT: The west coast of Oahu (or Ewa-bound as the locals call it) kinda reminds me of Sedona. A lot drier and you actually see some cacti heading towards Ko'olina.

Yeah we will be hitting up the Dole plantation at least a couple of times next week. Got to get my Dole Whip fix.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it racist of me to wonder if you get good Filipino food in the Islands?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot they sold Poke at Costco in Hawaii.

My wife and I are going to have to load up on that! We have been on a high protein diet and I'm tired of chicken breasts.
I gave up chicken a few months ago. Don't miss it at all. Salmon at Costco can be good, but check the expiration dates.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave up chicken a few months ago. Don't miss it at all. Salmon at Costco can be good, but check the expiration dates.

Yeah I like the wild caught sockeye salmon but that season is done now. Not a big fan of the Atlantic farmed crap that they have there now.