Father time vs LeBron

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three point shooting and turnovers are the main things people see I think.

Turnovers went from 3.6 to 4.1 a game while his assists went from 4.7 to 6.8 a game. He's averaging half a turnover more this year but he's also averaging 2 more assists, that's a fair trade, IMO.

His 3pt shooting went from 38% to 32% this year but his overall FG% went up from 43.2% to 45.4%. He's attempting just 6.5 3's a game this year to 7.1 last year as well, so I'll give him credit for lowering his attempts some while his shooting from out there has dipped. He's not getting nearly as many catch and shoot opportunities this year as he's been the primary PG for 2/3 of his time on the court.

His FG% on 2pt attempts has gone up substantially, which tells me he's getting to the basket for easier shots more often. Last year he shot 46% to this year's 52.1%. His FT attempts have gone up from 6.4 a game to 7.1 a game, which backs up the idea he's getting better looks closer to the basket. He shot 88% from the line last year and 86% this year, which is very good overall and is not enough of a change either way to worry about it.

Booker's eFG% went up from 50.1% to 50.7%, which isn't much but it is an improvement, and his TS% went up from 56.1% to 57.1%. He's doing all that while scoring more, 25.6 ppg compared to 24.9 ppg, and with 9 new teammates, 3 of which are starters with him, and a new coach.

So by almost any and every measurable stat that gets brought up about a players efficiency I would say Booker has become more efficient if anything, he hasn't regressed though. I could get behind the idea he hasn't improved as much as we'd like but we've seen him engaged on defense since the All-Star break with Oubre and I'll take that as an improvement this year. That won't show up in stats because it was only a dozen or so games but we should look for that version of Booker next year, at the least.

Source for all stats, Basketball-Reference

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We'll learn a lot more about Booker next season. He regressed this year, and that's a big concern from my perspective. If he has already peaked and his attitude will prevent him from getting to the next level, the Suns may have to start listening to trade offers. I agree that it's too soon now, however.
Absolutely. If he returns to his position of Shooting Guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lebron is already saying he's going to recruit for the Lakers this offseason, which isn't a surprise, but how he said everything seems to show he learned nothing from alienating the young core in LA already.

"That's why I came here. I came here to win. And obviously, we need to get better, as far as our personnel. We have an opportunity to get better. And there's a lot of talent out there, and a lot of guys that can help our franchise. So, I'll be as active as I need to be for us to get better and go from there."

“It (adding another star) is very critical to me and my future," James told Bleacher Report. “"Obviously, the franchise is going to live forever. But for me personally, it's very critical, because I want to compete, and I want to compete now."

I hope they strike out and he starts getting the Kobe treatment in the media. All of the talking heads said Kobe would help the Lakers make another run when they retooled with Dwight and Nash and then they fell apart and Kobe chased Dwight out of town. That's when the narrative changed to "When Kobe retires the Lakers can..." sort of talk. If the Lakers can't add a second star to pair with Lebron this offseason then I could see that happening with Lebron next year. I think they'll strike out on the top tier players like Durant, Kyrie, and Kawhi but I can see them spinning a Cousins max deal into being a great move. I hope that happens. Seeing Cousins and Lebron bicker in Purple & Gold at the lottery for the next 3 years will be great entertainment.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...-critical-my-future/xge3o8uyj4tc1b5tz4do62k9b

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson