Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ha ha, just another "yeah right, that could happen" movie that I will probably enjoy!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's sadder: this movie, or the love it's getting :eek:

Where Jason Statham goes, so go I. I'd feel better if it had no connection to the F&F series but there aren't a lot of big budget action movies these days that aren't comic book based so I'll take what I can get.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even watch fast and furious movies but this one looks fun.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's sadder: this movie, or the love it's getting :eek:

what's sad about what looks like a completely self-aware ridiculous big dumb action movie?

They ain't trying to make First Blood here.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don’t see this without eating some red meat and baked potato first.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't wait. most anticipated movie of the summer for me.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Release date: August 2, 2019
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: David Leitch
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: Chris Morgan
Genre: Action

Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Vanessa Kirby, Idris Elba, Eddie Marsan

Plot Summary: The "Fast & Furious" spin-off will be a team-up between Dwayne Johnson’s Agent Luke Hobbs and Jason Statham’s Deckard Shaw.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really didn't care for Elba as the antagonist. He became unlikable for reasons other than being the bad guy (somehow overacting, yet lacking emotion - was just 'off'). Could have just been the poor backstory stitched haphazardly into the dialogue.

Other than that it was a good popcorn movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they just gave away all the big set pieces in the trailer which made the movie a little less enjoyable. also, it just seems like almost zero though is put into these characters' one-liners. Having the Rock say "I'm going to open up a can of whoop-ass on you" is the easiest line in the world to write. That was always one of the best aspects of the 80's/early 90's action movies... great one-liners.

Funny cameos tho... if they make a sequel, those guys should become part of the team moving forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
they just gave away all the big set pieces in the trailer which made the movie a little less enjoyable. also, it just seems like almost zero though is put into these characters' one-liners. Having the Rock say "I'm going to open up a can of whoop-ass on you" is the easiest line in the world to write. That was always one of the best aspects of the 80's/early 90's action movies... great one-liners.

Funny cameos tho... if they make a sequel, those guys should become part of the team moving forward.
Pretty much this.

There seemed to be a lot of red herrings and mcguffins too. Guns that can be rendered unusable by computer (and thus able to be hacked)? Why would a terrorist organization want that? I'd think the cops would want it more than terrorists. What a waste of money that would be.

I actually enjoyed Jason Statham more than the Rock in this one, however, I will say that I enjoyed the Rock much much more here than his turn as the character in Fast Five (the last F&F movie I've seen). Fast Five, while a decent movie, was probably my least favorite Dwayne Johnson performance.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have not seen it yet. Been so busy since this came out. I am going to try and go see it this weekend.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I saw this last Friday ($5 each at Harkins).

Great popcorn movie. We both enjoyed it. My wife has never seen any of the F&F movies beyond the original and she felt she didn't miss a beat (in fact - she saw the trailer and immediately wanted to see it).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Yes! Like the one-liners in Commando. "I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!" Lol, there are so many great cheesy lines in that one.

This was alright, but I guess I was expecting it to be a bit better.

This is cool news:

Dwayne Johnson said he tried hard to get Jason Momoa to play the role of Hobbs' brother, but scheduling issues prevented it from happening. However, Dwayne gave fans hope for a future collaboration, adding, "Next Hobbs movie for sure."