Fassel-Bugle-Williams

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Would you take that?

Fassel is in SF to see his son play in a bowl game. DeAnna told us he has a one way ticket from SF on Saturday.

Denny Green will already have been interviewed.

Joe Bugle is being interviewed on KDUS now, says he's had conversations with three people regarding joining a staff. Bugle lives here, and when asked if would like to work here again, he said it would be very interesting. He thinks Fassel would work wonders with our quarterback situation, and would be the best choice for us. Bugle went on to say that this town is starved for football, and the teams popularity would explode if it started winning.

Greg Williams will probably have to take a D-coordinator position, if he ended up here, it would be a gift from the NFL. Why not?

Head coach- Jim Fassel
Offensive coordinator- Joe Bugle
Defensive coordinator- Greg Williams

What do you think?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have Bugel as the line coach, but I'm not so sure about the OC position.

I'd take Williams as the DC in a second.

Fassel is a fine head coach, and I think the best fit for the Cardinals.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex

Head coach- Jim Fassel

What do you think?

I could live with that, although I would rather have Bugel doing the line.

pinnacle

Reaction score
lex: what was jurecki talking about at the end when he said" "are we going to lose him (bugel)?" He was implying how he might not be on next year...or so I think..I did not hear the entire thing...then they started saying how they (not sure who - assume station) would have to start paying them? Kind of lost me...were they implying bugel may be a coach next year? just wondering....

I would take him as an OC....he has been a head coach for two teams before - so I am sure he could handle it - and the most underperforming part of the team is the oline...which is obviously his specialty...I would argue he may have been the best head coach the cardinals have had since they moved to AZ...so he should be ok as a coordinator.

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
I look at it this way:

I want a head coach that holds one of those laminated sheets up to his mouth, as he tells the quarterback what play to run. Does that make the head coach the offensive coordinator?

I want an offensive coordinator, that can coach the line, and help decide which plays go on that laminated sheet the head coach holds during the game. Does that make the offensive coordinator the offensive line coach?

I want a proven d-coordinator. Greg Williams would be my #1 choice.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Listening to Bugle on The Duece the last few weeks and he seemed more and more animated about the Cardinals when talking. I would love to see what a guy with his track record could do with this offensive line.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle

I would take him as an OC....he has been a head coach for two teams before - so I am sure he could handle it - and the most underperforming part of the team is the oline...which is obviously his specialty...I would argue he may have been the best head coach the cardinals have had since they moved to AZ...so he should be ok as a coordinator.

I thought Bugel did a good job as a coach here - had the team on the right track, and was let go prematurely - do to bad advice to Bill Sr. to go after Cruddy Ryan.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luther,

I am very intrigued by the scenario you present before us.

Buges can get assistance on the OC duites from Fassel & Williams would be autonomous on Defense.

In-telllll-essssting. Vellllly velllly in-telllllllll-esssting.

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Pinnacle-

The impression I got, was that Buges knows a lot more about our situation than he was able to discuss.

I love the guy.

This morning he was talking about "tough guys" You know, if you're hurting, "tape an asprin on it, and get out there and play."

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Wiliams, Mac, Jouron (sp), and Cattrell will be getting tons of offers for DC positions. Hopefully we can land one. (Obviously it won't be Mac.)

pinnacle

Reaction score
a few people (bugel is one) who have alot of knowledge about the NFL and the Cardinals..have all pretty much said Fassel is our best choice....I am starting to agree with them....

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Williams was the DC for the Titans when they were in the Super Bowl, would be interesting if he could get the Freak in town.

JD

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
Would you take that?

Fassel is in SF to see his son play in a bowl game. DeAnna told us he has a one way ticket from SF on Saturday.

Denny Green will already have been interviewed.

Joe Bugle is being interviewed on KDUS now, says he's had conversations with three people regarding joining a staff. Bugle lives here, and when asked if would like to work here again, he said it would be very interesting. He thinks Fassel would work wonders with our quarterback situation, and would be the best choice for us. Bugle went on to say that this town is starved for football, and the teams popularity would explode if it started winning.

Greg Williams will probably have to take a D-coordinator position, if he ended up here, it would be a gift from the NFL. Why not?

Head coach- Jim Fassel

What do you think?
This would be a dream come true scenario! I'd jump on it!

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Why not?

The NFL owes us baby.

We've been the Washington Generals to the NFL for years.

We have a late game time slot, that would give TV networks a great national TV matchup, from the best venue in the country.

The owners and media love to come here in fall and winter. FORE!

It all makes sense to me.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I'd love to see Buges back here. If for no other reason than his descriptive vocabulary.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see the scenario Fassell, Buges and Williams (or possibly Cotrell). I'm sure after 10 years that Buges has a better array of offensive schemes than he did with Jerry Rhome.

Redalert

Reaction score
I was watching the Arizona Sports Report last night after the Coyotes game and Jurecki said " Bugel has been contacted by Fassel and will be coming with him". He didn't say, if he would be the O.C. or the O-line coach.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tidbits from Bugel's last season:

1) Despite going 7-9, we outscored our opponents by 57 for the season.

2) Ranked 9th in the NFL in points scored, 7th in points allowed

3) Had only one double digit loss (at SF, who went to the NFC title game that year). That was the only game lost decided by greater than a TD.

4) Had FIVE double digit wins, including a 30 point and a 28 point victories - sounds nice, huh?

5) Won 4 of last 5, including two on the road.

6) Lost to the eventual Super Bowl champs by only 7(home) and 5(road) - closer games than any Dallas had in the playoffs.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Dback Jon: I posted in a long lost thread from earlier in the season that Bugel claimed bidwill sr. did not want to fire him..but he was talked into it by someone who bugel referred to as "they" (as in they talked senior into it)..No one knows for sure who "they" are...and if Bugel knows he did not say. He said Senior was "tearing up" when he had to let him go - and bugel started some rant to senior like: don't let them talk you into this....

Speculation is that the real target was norv turner...but the redskings hired him..hard to believe we would fire a coach we were ok with to get an upgrade without putting out feelers to see if the upgrade is available to us...but I guess it could have happened...

Speculation was that "they" could have been: larry wilson, bill walsh of the 49ers (I Have not idea how he was thrown into the mix), one of the bidwill kids (but they were all pretty young and Michael was working for the DA's office)...

But..I assume "they" is no longer giving senior advice..whatever it was..it was bad advice.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
Dback Jon: I posted in a long lost thread from earlier in the season that Bugel claimed bidwill sr. did not want to fire him..but he was talked into it by someone who bugel referred to as "they" (as in they talked senior into it)..No one knows for sure who "they" are...and if Bugel knows he did not say. He said Senior was "tearing up" when he had to let him go - and bugel started some rant to senior like: don't let them talk you into this....

Speculation is that the real target was norv turner...but the redskings hired him..hard to believe we would fire a coach we were ok with to get an upgrade without putting out feelers to see if the upgrade is available to us...but I guess it could have happened...

Speculation was that "they" could have been: larry wilson, bill walsh of the 49ers (I Have not idea how he was thrown into the mix), one of the bidwill kids (but they were all pretty young and Michael was working for the DA's office)...

But..I assume "they" is no longer giving senior advice..whatever it was..it was bad advice.

I remember that thread - would be interesting to know who "they" were. Huge mistake at the time.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
There are two coaches I thought should not have been let go Stallings and Bugel I sent a letter to the Cards about Bugel. I love the guy has a Mac like personality. He would be a great O-coach. I think Fassel will have alot of control over the play callein.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would love too see Bugel here too. If we can't have Mac, 'bout the next best thing is Buges. :D

I would also love to see McNally here too. I see RedAlert posted that he heard Jurecki say (how's that for a "chain of command" LOL). that Bugel has been contacted by Fassel and would be coming with him.

I really like the sound of that. All these little tidbits seem to be adding up to Fassel being the man here. I hope these are all not just little red herrings.

I don't remember Bugel being that much of an OC, and that would kind of surprise me. I wouldn't cry about either him or McNally as OL coaches....that's a no-lose situation.

Maybe hire both. Make one asst HC. Possibly eliminate the TE coach pos. (just thinking "payroll" here. :) )

Fassel could still OC, but under that scenario, I think a QB coach would be very important.

I'd love to see Greg Williams as DC too, but my gut just tells me I don't think that's too likely. Fassels's DC now is Johnnie Lynn, and he's been tutored by David Brazil and Rod Rust, two very experienced and highly respected "biggies" as far as Defensive minds go. Both are old, and I don't think would be coming here. Especially Rust, who seems to be pretty much dedicated to coaching only in N.Y. and I'm not even sure he does that full time anymore.
My first Guess is Lynn would come with Fassel.