Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Release Date: April 15, 2022
Studio: Warner Bros.
Director: David Yates
Screenwriters: J.K. Rowling, Steve Kloves
Genre: Adventure | Family | Fantasy
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some fantasy action/violence.

Starring: Jude Law, Cara Mahoney, Mads Mikkelsen, Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Poppy Corby-Tuech, Maja Bloom, Ezra Miller

Plot Summary: Albus Dumbledore assigns Newt and his allies with a mission related to the rising power of Grindelwald.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard this is the best one, but still doesn't make up for the rest of the series.
Pretty much agree. Didn't hate the first two, but they were subpar compared to the original Harry Potter movies....

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny Depp was fired from this movie after filming one scene. Due to language in his contract he was still paid his full $16 million salary.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So this was the best of the 3 movies, but Eddie Redmayne's Newt is such a weak main character. The ensemble was decent and as is the strength with this series, the effects are top notch. The movie was enjoyable but not something to go crazy over. It had A LOT of Harry Potter references in it, which I really enjoyed.

Mads plays a great villain, that is for sure, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen the previous two movies, regardless of how bad they were.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter wants to see this, but I hope it's the last. This overall has been such a weak follow-up to the originals. Even the potential between some of the side characters was completely wasted.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, went to see this with the family. I think it's on par with the first one maybe a little better. Not a fan of the second. I agree with @Chaplin that it doesn't make up for everything. I really like some of the characters, but the writing never seemed to do any of them any justice. Also, the way they treated the Tina character in this one was horrible.

Not sure if Rowling just sucks at writing screen plays or this was never fully vetted out the way she writes books or what?

I hope this is it for "Fantastic Beasts". There was never enough meat to build around Newt's character.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read all the HP books and she can write, no doubt. I don't know what happened with the FB series. Definitely not on a par with the original.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose