Family of Dead Celtics Fan Dressed Him in Kyrie Jersey Playing NBA2K at Wake

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

https://www.12up.com/posts/6112867-...e-jersey-playing-nba2k-at-wake/partners/43790

You must be registered for see images attach

After losing their son Renard Matthews in a tragic shooting in New Orleans, the Matthews family decided to celebrate his life in a pretty special way. Due to their son's passion for basketball and the Boston Celtics, the family had him wearing his Kyrie Irving jersey for the wake. Not only was he representing his favorite team, but he was also 'playing' NBA2K on his Xbox One.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

https://www.12up.com/posts/6112867-...e-jersey-playing-nba2k-at-wake/partners/43790

You must be registered for see images attach

After losing their son Renard Matthews in a tragic shooting in New Orleans, the Matthews family decided to celebrate his life in a pretty special way. Due to their son's passion for basketball and the Boston Celtics, the family had him wearing his Kyrie Irving jersey for the wake. Not only was he representing his favorite team, but he was also 'playing' NBA2K on his Xbox One.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If it works for them . . . but man that would creep me out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it works for them . . . but man that would creep me out.

Yeah, it's cool and it's creepy. I can't decide which one carries the day. But in the end, it's a family that lost a loved one far too soon, whatever helps them all grieve is fine by me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If he wasn't already dead, that snack table combination of root beer, Doritos, and Little Debbies would probably kill him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. I am just plain creeped out. No way around it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah I’d feel pretty uncomfortable even attending the ceremony itself but to each their own.

It’s the family’s loss and whatever method helps them grieve is worth it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I knew the person, I would be less uncomfortable because I would know he was represented as doing what he loved.

Presenting people as alive was not unheard of in the past.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't believe that photo (and especially the underlying circumstances) should be cause for a reaction of laughter... but I can't help it. This is surreal, bordering on the parodic.

Many condolences to the family, and as others said, possibly this helps them in their grieving process, so God bless.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I don't believe that photo (and especially the underlying circumstances) should be cause for a reaction of laughter... but I can't help it. This is surreal, bordering on the parodic.

Many condolences to the family, and as others said, possibly this helps them in their grieving process, so God bless.
It's got a Weekend at Bernie's vibe which could explain the reaction. I too do not want to make light of it and I hope it brings his family peace.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just hope he didn't fall over. That would have been embarrassing, among other things.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Peace out

They can prop me up playing Call of Duty next to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave