Fair catch at the 10! And it will be placed at the 25 yard line. New rule.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That seems to be punitive to the kicking team. Wierd.
Meh...just have a kicker who can boot it through then endzone on every kickoff and save the ST guys from all the excess running. Looks like it doesn't apply to punts, though, so that's good.

Reactions: TRW

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I imagine it'll also reduce concussions and other injuries to quarterbacks trying to avoid safeties after being pinned by good punting

Speaking of good punting - this new rule may have teams looking purely for distance - leaving accuracy of little importance

Lastly, I wish they would forgo this rule during the last 5 minutes of games that are within 7pts

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine it'll also reduce concussions and other injuries to quarterbacks trying to avoid safeties after being pinned by good punting

Speaking of good punting - this new rule may have teams looking purely for distance - leaving accuracy of little importance

Lastly, I wish they would forgo this rule during the last 5 minutes of games that are within 7pts
Punt fair catches are not changed, only kickoffs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
somewhat on topic -- how many times have we seen this from the Cardinals:

1. playing a tight game and the opponent scores a TD to tie or take the lead in Q4. Card offense really needs to answer.
2. On the kickoff, the returner catches it 3 yards deep......... and decides to return it. Tackled at the 17 yard line.
3. Oh yeah, holding penalty too.
4. Critical drive starts inside the 10 vs the 25

so the good news: we wont see that again

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
somewhat on topic -- how many times have we seen this from the Cardinals:

1. playing a tight game and the opponent scores a TD to tie or take the lead in Q4. Card offense really needs to answer.
2. On the kickoff, the returner catches it 3 yards deep......... and decides to return it. Tackled at the 17 yard line.
3. Oh yeah, holding penalty too.
4. Critical drive starts inside the 10 vs the 25

so the good news: we wont see that again

Instead we'll see the Cards field a Fair Catch 3 yards deep but there will still be a holding penalty while the ball was in the air. First and 10 at the 12 yard line, followed by the obligatory 1 yard run, then the sack, and finally on 3rd and long the incompletion on a rushed throw.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
Reduce concussions, retain commercial/advertising revenue. ********. If this weren't the case, they'd simply end kickoffs. There's no point to "the kickoff" when 99% will be out of the back of the end zone or fair catches.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Are there any kickers still in the league who can't reliably put the ball out of or at least prohibitively deep into the end zone?

I suppose there might be the occasional returnable kickoff due to a penalty. Or if there is some strategic reason to squib kick. But at this point, any kickoff that's not onside is just about the most irrelevant play in football.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line, I missed fair catches on kickoffs. What if the person bobbles the fair catch. Can we hit him them then?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Instead we'll see the Cards field a Fair Catch 3 yards deep but there will still be a holding penalty while the ball was in the air. First and 10 at the 12 yard line, followed by the obligatory 1 yard run, then the sack, and finally on 3rd and long the incompletion on a rushed throw.
My biggest expectation and hope is that Gannon will run a MUCH tighter ship and we won’t lead the league in penalties EVERY DAMN YEAR.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line, I missed fair catches on kickoffs. What if the person bobbles the fair catch. Can we hit him them then?

Yes, it's a live ball. They can take a knee though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose