FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals give James Conner a one-year, $1.75 million contract

The Cardinals gave running back James Conner a one-year, $1.75 million contract, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com. The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus, and the entirety of the deal is fully guaranteed.

So when you add the signing bonus the real number is $1.75, correct?

Yes it's $1.75m. That's a very good deal.

Jamaal Williams got $3.
Fournette $3.25m.
Booker $2.75m (lol)
Hyde $2.25m

Hell even Samaje Perrine got $1.65m.

So it's a steal.

I'd still add another vet. There are lots of guys with experience and talent out there that could be had for vet min that would add something to this room.

Rex Burkhead, Brian Hill, McKinnon, Chris Thompson, D'onta Foreman, Wayne Gallman.

I want 3 solid backs going into the season. I think that's the way forward, especially with some concerns about Edmonds frame or Conners history. It doesn't stop us drafting anyone, these are all cuttable guys.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Jamaal Williams got $3.
Fournette $3.25m.
Booker $2.75m (lol)
Hyde $2.25m

So it's a steal.

I'd still add another vet. There are lots of guys with experience and talent out there that could be had for vet min that would add something to this room.

Rex Burkhead, Brian Hill, McKinnon, Chris Thompson, D'onta Foreman, Wayne Gallman.

I want 3 solid backs going into the season.

are you considering special teams play?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nelson still unsigned?

Yes, I think he's likely to stay that way until after the draft when signings stop counting against your comp picks.

I'm surprised they haven't brought Kirkpatrick back. He's wasn't good last year but with a better defensive group and a year in the scheme already he can't get worse and he'd be under the $2m comp pick limit.

Brian Poole would be a good add also. Had an 80 coverage grade per PFF last year in a bad Jets defense and a 77.1 overall grade. 79 grade the year before too so it was no fluke. And only 28.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I think he's likely to stay that way until after the draft when signings stop counting against your comp picks.

I'm surprised they haven't brought Kirkpatrick back. He's wasn't good last year but with a better defensive group and a year in the scheme already he can't get worse and he'd be under the $2m comp pick limit.

Brian Poole would be a good add also. Had an 80 coverage grade per PFF last year in a bad Jets defense and a 77.1 overall grade. 79 grade the year before too so it was no fluke. And only 28.

Yes both name are solid

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have watched him a bunch. He is one of those streaky players. Wouldn't do much for two games then he would explode another. Not a star in this league. Lot's of fans in Steelers country love this guy because he has heart. He is going to be a good locker room guy that hopefully can provide a spark now and then.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Poole is almost strictly a slot guy though.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since Nelson was cut, he doesn't count towards the Comp picks.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Jamaal Williams got $3.
Fournette $3.25m.
Booker $2.75m (lol)
Hyde $2.25m

So it's a steal.

I want 3 solid backs going into the season. I think that's the way forward, especially with some concerns about Edmonds frame or Conners history. It doesn't stop us drafting anyone, these are all cuttable guys.

At this price..... 100% yes.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind adding Gallman.

I agree, he would be a good addition. He's another player that is a little streaky. With Connor, Gallman and Edmunds you could go with the hot hand each week. This isn't a great a great RB room, but it's workable. The trick here is one of them needs to play special teams.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Football Outsiders: James Conner’s contract No. 1 in 2021 RB free agency

https://arizonasports.com/story/267...james-conners-contract-no-1-2021-free-agency/

The signing of running back James Conner to a 1-year, $1,750,000 contract was one of many moves in a busy free agency for the Arizona Cardinals in 2021.

Football Outsiders ranked the contract of the Cardinals’ new running back as the best in terms of value this offseason in their 2021 free agency cost-benefit analysis.

Last year for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Conner played in 13 games and started in 11, the second most starts in his NFL career.

The 26-year-old Conner rushed for 721 yards on 169 rushing attempts and caught 35 receptions for 215 yards with six total touchdowns in 2020.

More at the link: https://arizonasports.com/story/267...james-conners-contract-no-1-2021-free-agency/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave