Extensions

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how Joey Bosa's $27M/year extension will affect what Jones would expect from an extension....

...dave
I think it would great to extend Chandler Jones right now. Add a few years and get him at today’s prices. He is a leader and he has kept himself in great shape.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The concern I have with resigning players with more than 1 year left on a contract is that it sets a tone in the locker room with all. “I want my contract extended”. When does it end once you start?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless a couple of VG CB's arrive in the Desert, I think we have to resign PP. Also, $$ has to be considered, as age does matter. My wife keeps reminding me that I'm not getting smarter, just getting older.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The concern I have with resigning players with more than 1 year left on a contract is that it sets a tone in the locker room with all. “I want my contract extended”. When does it end once you start?
lol, I hope you realize the guys in the locker room are perfectly fine with their teammates/brothers getting new contracts before their old contract ends. They understand the business.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would great to extend Chandler Jones right now. Add a few years and get him at today’s prices. He is a leader and he has kept himself in great shape.

because of his age I don’t think you want to do a long term deal. I think we will franchise him for next year and then let him go.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We have Chandler signed through next season. Not just this one.

2020: Making almost 20mm this year
2021: Making 18.5mm next year
2022: Franchise tag est of 18mm per. Currently 16mm in 2020

I bet we maybe give him a sweetener next season to keep him happy (like Melvin Ingram got this year) and then we probably franchise him if his value still warrants it in 2022. It will probably be in the same ballpark of his 2021 salary making it much easier to budget for. By the end of the 2022 season he will be staring at his 33rd birthday and probably not be worth a monster deal like the one Joey Bosa got at age 27.

FYI... That was also the same age Chandler was at when we signed him to his deal in 2017.

Something that will probably also occur in the offseason before the 2023 season...... We will be giving Kyler roughly 300mm+. I'm guessing that will affect a lot of our decisions going forward.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
lol, I hope you realize the guys in the locker room are perfectly fine with their teammates/brothers getting new contracts before their old contract ends. They understand the business.

Kind of sort of... remember this guy named Boldin after Fitzgerald, because business also means me first :)