Explaining the June 1st Designation

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

A very interesting read, and I was unaware of the following:

"When you designate someone as a June 1 cut the player and his current contract remain on the books until June 1. ...... By that point in time free agency is finished and the extra cap room does not do the team much good."

"The real purpose of the June 1 designation option is to benefit teams that have poor salary cap situations and need to either create space for rookie signings over the summer months or to cut players from the roster whose dead money charges are greater than their charge to remain on the team."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cardinals have two players that are candidates for Post-June 1st cuts, and it would free up a lot of money and lessen the dead money impact, but it would NOT help free agency. It could allow the team to spend right up to the cap during free agency tho. Then let the Cardinals wait till June 1st to do in-team extensions, and sign rookies. Not to mention some money for "Keim time" free agency.

For example,

Mike Iupati:
Pre-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 6.3mil, Dead Money: 3.4mil
Post-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 8mil, Dead Money: 1.7mil

Tyrann Mathieu:
Pre-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 4.8mil, Dead Money: 9.3mil
Post-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 11mil, Dead Money: 3.1mil

Thus if you were to cut both players before June 1st, the Cardinals free up 11.1 million dollars for the cap, and can use that extra money in free agency, yet it will cost them 12.7 million dollars in dead money. If the Cardinals cut both players as "Post-June 1st cuts, the Cardinals free up 19 million dollars for the cap, but cannot use that extra money in free agency when it hits in March until after June 1st, but the dead money hit would be 4.8 million.

The post-June 1st would not help free agency, but would help the cap numbers by allowing the Cardinals 7.9 million more dollars under the cap, and lessens the dead money impact by 7.9 million, which is almost a 16 million dollar swing total.

Its a big decision, and why getting Mathieu to restructure his contact is a best case scenario for the Cardinals both personnel wise, and cap wise in regards to impending free agency.

At a sensible price, and maybe a home town offer, I think both side benefit from it. It puts Mathieu on a high end, prove it deal with a new staff that is strong in the defensive backs coaching area, and in my personal opinion, puts Mathieu in a great spot to make more money potentially a year from now.

We will see.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

A very interesting read, and I was unaware of the following:

"When you designate someone as a June 1 cut the player and his current contract remain on the books until June 1. ...... By that point in time free agency is finished and the extra cap room does not do the team much good."

"The real purpose of the June 1 designation option is to benefit teams that have poor salary cap situations and need to either create space for rookie signings over the summer months or to cut players from the roster whose dead money charges are greater than their charge to remain on the team."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cardinals have two players that are candidates for Post-June 1st cuts, and it would free up a lot of money and lessen the dead money impact, but it would NOT help free agency. It could allow the team to spend right up to the cap during free agency tho. Then let the Cardinals wait till June 1st to do in-team extensions, and sign rookies. Not to mention some money for "Keim time" free agency.

For example,

Mike Iupati:
Pre-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 6.3mil, Dead Money: 3.4mil
Post-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 8mil, Dead Money: 1.7mil

Tyrann Mathieu:
Pre-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 4.8mil, Dead Money: 9.3mil
Post-June 1st cut numbers - Savings: 11mil, Dead Money: 3.1mil

Thus if you were to cut both players before June 1st, the Cardinals free up 11.1 million dollars for the cap, and can use that extra money in free agency, yet it will cost them 12.7 million dollars in dead money. If the Cardinals cut both players as "Post-June 1st cuts, the Cardinals free up 19 million dollars for the cap, but cannot use that extra money in free agency when it hits in March until after June 1st, but the dead money hit would be 4.8 million.

The post-June 1st would not help free agency, but would help the cap numbers by allowing the Cardinals 7.9 million more dollars under the cap, and lessens the dead money impact by 7.9 million, which is almost a 16 million dollar swing total.

Its a big decision, and why getting Mathieu to restructure his contact is a best case scenario for the Cardinals both personnel wise, and cap wise in regards to impending free agency.

At a sensible price, and maybe a home town offer, I think both side benefit from it. It puts Mathieu on a high end, prove it deal with a new staff that is strong in the defensive backs coaching area, and in my personal opinion, puts Mathieu in a great spot to make more money potentially a year from now.

We will see.

The Mathieu issue comes to a head on Day One, so to speak, of the new business year. As it stands they have to pay a bonus to retain his rights. As such, a post-June 1 cut makes little CAP "cents" sense. Perhaps, they can both cut him on day one and designate a post-June 1 cut at the same time; not sure. But, the fact remains, they'd have to retain the value of the deal through to June, which affects the amount of $$ available in FA.

Last edited:

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I thought you could "cut" a player at the start of the league year and designate it "post June 1st"...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is definitely interesting - I did a little bit of research into it because the article was written in 2013, and I thought those rules had changed to now apply to both the player and the team at the same time, but I can't find anything to support that... only my recollection of the talking heads on NFL Radio.

Regardless, yes, we could spend up to the cap and then have Iupati's money hit the books and leave us the room to sign our rookies.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This is definitely interesting - I did a little bit of research into it because the article was written in 2013, and I thought those rules had changed to now apply to both the player and the team at the same time, but I can't find anything to support that... only my recollection of the talking heads on NFL Radio.

Regardless, yes, we could spend up to the cap and then have Iupati's money hit the books and leave us the room to sign our rookies.

I am right there with you. I did not find anything in regards to this changing since 2013 either, BTW.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You have to be CAP compliant at all times.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

You are partly correct.

They can be over the cap, they just cannot sign anyone else until they get under the cap.

If I recall correctly, the Cardinals had this issue a few years back, and they needed to get Fitzgerald's deal re-done so they could get under the cap and sign someone.

Then I think there is a date before the season starts that the teams have to be under the cap or they are penalized in some sort of way.

Thus the Eagles are fine, but if they want to re-sign any players, or see free agents, they have to get under the cap before then.

Sidenote: If anyone wants to find JoeSchmo to fact check me, please do so. LOL. But I think that is correct what I have stated above.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

What I was meaning was what's been brought up in the article/posts - we can designate Iupati a cut, spend right up to the cap (not over), and then when his money is released, have the room to sign our rookies.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
when they designate post june 1 cuts they are not completely dodging dead money... just moving a portion of that dead money over to next season
at least thats my understanding of it.... just a matter of spreading it out Vs dealing with it all right now.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
when they designate post june 1 cuts they are not completely dodging dead money... just moving a portion of that dead money over to next season
at least thats my understanding of it.... just a matter of spreading it out Vs dealing with it all right now.

Correct. Its like reverse financing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson