Exhibition game #2-Arizona Diamondbacks @ Los Angeles Dodgers. 07/20/20

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the simulated strike zone but it's better than the simulated fans. :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Vargas with a long solo HR for the D-backs in the top of the 2nd. 1-0 D-backs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Joc Pederson with a 2-run HR. And Betts with a 3-run HR. 5-1 Dodgers.

Clarke with 55 pitches in 1 2/3 innings and they call the 2nd inning with two outs.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chafin still sucks donkey butt, even in exhibition games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
11-1 L.A. following another Dodgers HR, before they cut the 5th inning short.

It is only exhibition games, but it can't be good to start by getting walloped
in the first two games.

So far, the Dodgers have outscored the D-backs 20-3 in the first game and a half.

And the pattern has been the same. A D-back HR to take the lead, then nothing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Mid season form.
The pitching can't be judged, because it's not our regular starters,

But that works both ways. Our hitters should be having a field day,
just as the Dodgers are doing.

The D-backs are an offense of line drive hitters. No one is going
to hit 40 HR's. But still, they try to "lift" every pitch. It is not a
winning philosophy.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Clarke is what he's going to be. Same as last year, he will pitch good for about 2-3 innings and then just get blasted to give up about 5 runs.

Same dbacks as last year. Can't string at bat's together to score runs. You'll get a couple long balls here and there or you get a double and they fail to bring him in.

At this point I'm starting to believe it's a culture problem

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m not overly concerned yet about the pitching, as the starters are bullpen at best for me. Big concern is the utter lack of offense, and overall ability to string hits together.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Clarke is what he's going to be. Same as last year, he will pitch good for about 2-3 innings and then just get blasted to give up about 5 runs.

Same dbacks as last year. Can't string at bat's together to score runs. You'll get a couple long balls here and there or you get a double and they fail to bring him in.

At this point I'm starting to believe it's a culture problem

I'll say it again! The D-backs two offensive problems are (1) lift and (2) not taking what
the defense gives you. That is not the players' fault. That is the Manager and Coaches.

Torey Lovullo is a nice guy. But he is evidently letting the players go for glory, rather
than winning games. And we've seen the results of it, right up to the last two games.

Time and time again, all last season, the D-backs greatest problem was LOB. Runners
left on base and in scoring position while uppercutting every swing.

How in the world can you hope to hit a round ball coming at you horizontally, with a
round bat by swinging vertically? It goes against the laws of physics. At least in the
D-backs case. Year after year.

I watched in disbelief last season (and posted) that we had the tying run on 3B in the
8th inning and all of the defense shifted to the right side except for one fielder on the
left side.

Did our batter poke the ball through the wide open left side to drive in the tying run?
Nope! He grounded out to the heavily covered right side, the inning was over and we
lost our chance. I screamed at the TV with every curse word I've ever learned, and that's
quite a bit. That is downright stupid!

The past two games were supposed to be a fresh start. But with our non-starting
pitchers vs. the Dodgers non-starters, we were humiliated 21-3. @&*?@% 21-3.

What more needs to be said? Culture problem indeed!

I really didn't want to see our play against competition continue this way.

If it changes as the short season starts, I'll be the first to compliment Lovullo.
If not, I will try to not take the D-backs seriously. Go Mercury . . . for #4. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...:thumbup:

That's the one good thing about the Mercury, D-backs and Suns playing at the same time.
We don't have to wait a half year to feel good about one of our teams! Y'hear that, Suns?

We are a one-horse town!

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll say it again! The D-backs two offensive problems are (1) lift and (2) not taking what
the defense gives you. That is not the players' fault. That is the Manager and Coaches.

Torey Lovullo is a nice guy. But he is evidently letting the players go for glory, rather
than winning games. And we've seen the results of it, right up to the last two games.

Time and time again, all last season, the D-backs greatest problem was LOB. Runners
left on base and in scoring position while uppercutting every swing.

How in the world can you hope to hit a round ball coming at you horizontally, with a
round bat by swinging vertically? It goes against the laws of physics. At least in the
D-backs case. Year after year.

I watched in disbelief last season (and posted) that we had the tying run on 3B in the
8th inning and all of the defense shifted to the right side except for one fielder on the
left side.

Did our batter poke the ball through the wide open left side to drive in the tying run?
Nope! He grounded out to the heavily covered right side, the inning was over and we
lost our chance. I screamed at the TV with every curse word I've ever learned, and that's
quite a bit. That is downright stupid!

The past two games were supposed to be a fresh start. But with our non-starting
pitchers vs. the Dodgers non-starters, we were humiliated 21-3. @&*?@% 21-3.

What more needs to be said? Culture problem indeed!

I really didn't want to see our play against competition continue this way.

If it changes as the short season starts, I'll be the first to compliment Lovullo.
If not, I will try to not take the D-backs seriously. Go Mercury . . . for #4. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...:thumbup:

That's the one good thing about the Mercury, D-backs and Suns playing at the same time.
We don't have to wait a half year to feel good about one of our teams! Y'hear that, Suns?

We are a one-horse town!
Lovullo certainly is the issue that continues. The team has taken on his personality. Even after getting wrecked in games, he comes out and says his generic response of "we will look at the film and see where we can improve". At what point will you actually take actions and also change the strategy? This team again will be a . 500 team. They will have some games they look great and at times look like a team who can't put any runs together.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lovullo certainly is the issue that continues. The team has taken on his personality. Even after getting wrecked in games, he comes out and says his generic response of "we will look at the film and see where we can improve". At what point will you actually take actions and also change the strategy? This team again will be a . 500 team. They will have some games they look great and at times look like a team who can't put any runs together.

Bob Brenly part Trois. (Bob Melvin was Bob Brenly part Deux.)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
To the tune of Frank Sinatra’s “One For My Baby (One More For The Road)”.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=11f3ede814d308bff3a4355842288bfb&action=view

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 21 to 3. There were no one in the stands except cardboard to see.

So set ‘em up Joe. I got a little story I think you oughtta know.

We’re drinking, my friend, to the end of a hope we all rode.

It was one to get started. Then one more on the road.

I know the routine. Get our hopes up, then get kicked in the spleen.

I’m feeling so bad. Won’t you make the music easy and sad.

I could tell you a lot. But we saw the D-backs explode.

21 to 3. Two bad losses on the road.

:( :(