Excited for Leftwich

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Have not been impressed with Leftwich so far, he is in over his head (not surprising), even just with the play calling.

I hope he sticks as a QB coach with the new regime, because I like his mindset and he needs the experience.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Others have mentioned it but it would be intriguing to see if Leftwich doesn't pan out, hiring Jedd Fisch as OC next year. Fisch was on the UCLA staff last year with Rosen and they seemed to mesh well, after Mora got canned he was interim HC which was good experience for him too. He has a long career in the NFL, often working with QB's. He's on the Rams staff now and has known McVay for years. So you not only potentially get a good OC, you weaken the Rams.

I'm hoping Leftwich pans out but honestly if he does, it's just more fuel to the fire Wilks movement, if he had his best OC coaching the Qb's and had a lousy coach as the OC, he's not very good at recognizing what's in front of him and just went off experience.

I want to revive this take, because it's such a good take. Rosen would have to endorse the selection/talk about the experience.

Looking at his career, tho, you have to wonder why he's moved around so much. He's worked with a lot of great coaches. It's a bunch of one- and two-year stays, though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is Leftwich doing on the sideline? We don't have a QB coach, and the sideline has up until there's 15 seconds on the playclock to communicate with the quarterback. Good Coach Sean McVay uses every second of this to help prepare Jared Goff.

Leftwich doesn't seem to have much to say after calling in the play. Why not?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What is Leftwich doing on the sideline? We don't have a QB coach, and the sideline has up until there's 15 seconds on the playclock to communicate with the quarterback. Good Coach Sean McVay uses every second of this to help prepare Jared Goff.

Leftwich doesn't seem to have much to say after calling in the play. Why not?

I don't really think that Leftwich has enough experience to be able to handle nuances with his offense right now. Mayfield was interviewed after the game this week and mentioned Kitchens working with him bet2ween plays and series about reducing the noice in Mayfield's head/vision, and get him to focus on what the play call needs from him - then Stanton (remember him?) coaches him during half time on the needed adjustments based on what they saw from the opposition over the first half. Leftwich is really the equivalent of Stanton right now, basically a (former) player coach. He would really need to be a savant to be successful as an OC at this stage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
What drives me crazy about this is that there was so much complaining about WRs by this staff and a huge desire to get Chase snaps at RB. The solution is not tough to figure out.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have not been impressed with Leftwich so far, he is in over his head (not surprising), even just with the play calling.

I hope he sticks as a QB coach with the new regime, because I like his mindset and he needs the experience.

Launch them all. Let the new got coming in pick his entire coaching staff. Meddling in who he hires is a recipe for problems. Fair or not, Leftwich failed as OC here.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Leftwich. Tough to judge taking over McCoys playbook during the season and with the poor offensive line and wr group. However, if we hire a new coach, he should pick his own OC.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ahhgg there are at least 32 better OC candidates - not in the NFL right now! It’s not on Lefwich- he’s not prepared just like Wilks and the rest of this team - surprised the cheerleaders are holding up!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I want to revive this take, because it's such a good take. Rosen would have to endorse the selection/talk about the experience.

Looking at his career, tho, you have to wonder why he's moved around so much. He's worked with a lot of great coaches. It's a bunch of one- and two-year stays, though.

Brought up Fisch a while ago and stealing Zac Taylor from them wouldn’t be bad either. I don’t believe either are HC material though. I would be Todd Bowles if we could bring in those young guys under him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave