Everything wrong with Kyler vs Seattle Part II - Revenge of the checkdown

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed HOW open Ertz is nearly every play as well. Murray is fricking scared man. He's just scared to sling it. That's what I'm seeing in all of this. He needs to get his confidence back.
I would love for him to have a gunslinger attitude.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I saw in a video today that I found interesting. It's the one with Frank Sanders in it and he said he thinks part of the "why does Kyler take the quick checkdown so often" is that he's conditioned now to think that Kliff is going to go for it on 4th down because we do so often and it's been weeks since we had a healthy kicker that we could count on. So Kyler is operating under the assumption that on 3rd and long he's probably going to have 2 plays anyways so if the quick hitter is there he takes it, when maybe he should wait and see if something better opens up.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would love for him to have a gunslinger attitude.
He has at times. That's why I'm frustrated with him. I KNOW he can do it. I know he can make the majority of these throws. What I don't think he is getting is that even if he threw a pick or two more, he'd have like 100 yards passing more per game. And that would open up the running game more too.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He has at times. That's why I'm frustrated with him. I KNOW he can do it. I know he can make the majority of these throws. What I don't think he is getting is that even if he threw a pick or two more, he'd have like 100 yards passing more per game. And that would open up the running game more too.
He's scared. He's Matt leinart after the shoulder, captain check-down. My fear is that this organization has ruined him. Once you get skittish like that and hyper sensitive it's very hard to correct even with a good offensive line, running game, great WRs etc.

I make fun of guys like Trent Dilfer routinely but they were never afraid!

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rams and Aaron Donald demoralized him that last playoff game. He was scared a few games before then too. But that game changed Kyler.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hindsight again. You were all for the Hudson trade and extension.

There is no way anybody could know Hudson would go from missing 1 game in 6 to 10 in 2. Or that he would consider hanging it up after last season.
That's why I'm not paid the big bucks. He's supposed to have foresight because he does get paid the big bucks.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I'm not paid the big bucks. He's supposed to have foresight because he does get paid the big bucks.

Some things are simply unforeseeable. Nobody is psychic no matter how good they are.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit lives in a strange world where coaches bear no responsibility for the performance of their players and general managers are held to the same standards as message board idiots.

I live in a world where players who are the 3rd highest paid in the league and in year 4 are responsible for their own performance.

Where highly paid professionals shouldn't need handling like a toddler.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I live in a world where players who are the 3rd highest paid in the league and in year 4 are responsible for their own performance.

Where highly paid professionals shouldn't need handling like a toddler.
Keep hanging his contract over his head, but his big deal doesn’t officially kick in for 2 more years. His salary right now isn’t hampering us. Does Kyler need to play better? Yes, but stop acting as if he’s a top 5 paid Qb right now. Players like Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and Jalen Hurts could all get massive pay days before his contract kicks in making him still not in the top 5 for highest paid QBs

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep hanging his contract over his head, but his big deal doesn’t officially kick in for 2 more years. His salary right now isn’t hampering us. Does Kyler need to play better? Yes, but stop acting as if he’s a top 5 paid Qb right now. Players like Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and Jalen Hurts could all get massive pay days before his contract kicks in making him still not in the top 5 for highest paid QBs

That's nonsense. His APY is $46.1m. How it's handled from a cap perspective makes no difference.

Sure, it doesn't kick in until next year but he still demanded to be paid like a top tier QB and he isn't playing anywhere near like one.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's nonsense. His APY is $46.1m. How it's handled from a cap perspective makes no difference.

Sure, it doesn't kick in until next year but he still demanded to be paid like a top tier QB and he isn't playing anywhere near like one.
His APY is $38.8m unless there’s something I’m missing. We have him for 6 more years after this one. His total amount he’ll be paid over these 7 years is $271.6m. Yes his big contract he signed is $46.1m but he’s not making that money yet. He will yes, but by that time as I stated he might not even be a top 5 paid QB. He’s playing bad now, but what would happen if we didn’t pay him? Restart the ranks with John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Derek Anderson, Sam Bradford, etc,. He’s playing like ass, but he’s 25 years old and not a retread that we can use for 3 years.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His APY is $38.8m unless there’s something I’m missing. We have him for 6 more years after this one. His total amount he’ll be paid over these 7 years is $271.6m. Yes his big contract he signed is $46.1m but he’s not making that money yet. He will yes, but by that time as I stated he might not even be a top 5 paid QB. He’s playing bad now, but what would happen if we didn’t pay him? Restart the ranks with John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Derek Anderson, Sam Bradford, etc,. He’s playing like ass, but he’s 25 years old and not a retread that we can use for 3 years.

One post your saying his deal doesn't really hit for 2 years and the next your trying to count his 5th year option into his deal which we always had anyway.

His APY is $46.1m.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One post your saying his deal doesn't really hit for 2 years and the next your trying to count his 5th year option into his deal which we always had anyway.

His APY is $46.1m.
That’s because his big deal doesn’t hit for 2 more years! This year his cap hit is $12m. Next year it’s $16m then his big contract hits! You can’t ignore what he makes these next 2 years when counting his salary/season. I said in 2 years when his contract is actually in effect, he could very well not be a top 5 paid QB in the league. Also in 2 years he could maybe find his stride again and play up to his contract. Right now he’s garbage but he’s also making $12m against the cap this year. Doesn’t excuse it, but you can’t hold it over his head this year like his salary is what’s killing this team. Lack of talent, good coaching, injuries, and QB play is hurting us, not what Kyler is making.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s because his big deal doesn’t hit for 2 more years! This year his cap hit is $12m. Next year it’s $16m then his big contract hits! You can’t ignore what he makes these next 2 years when counting his salary/season. I said in 2 years when his contract is actually in effect, he could very well not be a top 5 paid QB in the league. Also in 2 years he could maybe find his stride again and play up to his contract. Right now he’s garbage but he’s also making $12m against the cap this year. Doesn’t excuse it, but you can’t hold it over his head this year like his salary is what’s killing this team. Lack of talent, good coaching, injuries, and QB play is hurting us, not what Kyler is making.

His contract hits next year. The cap hit is low next year because it's higher in subsequent years but his APY is still $46.1m.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His contract hits next year. The cap hit is low next year because it's higher in subsequent years but his APY is still $46.1m.
No the cardinals can get out of his 5th year of his contract with no dead money. He is set to become a FA in 2029. That’s 6 more seasons. The contract was only a 5 year deal. He’s playing next year under his 5th year option that the Cardinals picked up in April if this season.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score