Everything RV

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think I finally made my decision. 2021 Jayco Alante 27A, it has about 14K miles on it. I have a test drive scheduled for later this week and if I like I may make the purchase by the weekend from my local La Mesa RV. I already am pre approved for financing through Good Sam. The price is pretty good but I hope to be able to negotiate a few thousand more off the price based on what I see as the average retail range on JDPower for that coach.

I was also considering a 2020 Thor ACE 27.7 but it sold before I could test drive it.

After doing lots of research I decided a smaller Class A would more suit my wife and I than a Class C. I looked at a ton of different floor plans, watched YouTube videos and of course went to shows…decided on used over new as it is just more economical. Had to factor in storage and insurance as well.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Awesome! I reached the same conclusion (small class A rather than a class C). I had to convince my wife, so fortunately it worked out :) I have the same floorplan as yours, but the ward and bathroom are flipped.

I think you dodged a bullet with the Thor. I test drove a Thor and it felt like it was going to fall apart driving down the road. I went with a used 32ft Winnebago with 13k miles. It's been fantastic.

I'm curious what the interest rate is nowadays. We were at 6% when we bought it 4 years ago, but have since paid it off. I'm sure rates are pretty unfriendly at the moment.

If I could provide any advice, I'd say: 1)Buy the extended warranty...you're going to use it! 2)Take good notes at your walkthru...there is a lot to learn, especially for a first time owner.

Looking forward to pics after you buy it! The view driving down the road in a class A is incredible...a whole new world! I bring a swiffer with me when I travel so I can keep the windshield clean :)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was approved for 6.37% interest rate--which was below the posted rate on their website of 7.49%. The dealer thinks they can compete so I will give them a shot.

Good advice, I am 100% planning on getting the extended warranty and will also be joining Good Sam.

The dealer said the walk thru includes about a 2 hour orientation on how everything works, I will have no choice but to take notes, that much information will be a lot to absorb.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I did the test drive yesterday, I was surprised at how easy it handled. A few things to get used to from driving a car for years, braking distance, taking right turns wider than usual and not being one of the fastest vehicles on the road (I am not a lead foot but I am a 10MPH over type of guy). I decided to make the purchase after I did the drive.

I did a full walk around, didn't notice any defects, I tested what I could--basically the slides, electrical and drive--didn't do anything with the plumbing. The dealer does however schedule me to bring it back in after 30 days where they will address any issues I noticed in the first month of ownership.

I spent my day after the drive going around to find an affordable RV storage facility that had spots available, the snowbirds come down with their RVs and buy up most of the available spaces. I found one that is fully paved, has 24 hour security, RV dump station and a wash bay--he had 1 spot left to fit my coach (it's a 35 foot spot for my 30 footer)...it's an uncovered spot but that isn't a huge deal for me. I also finalized the insurance, got the Good Sam extended warranty (cheaper and more comprehensive than the dealership offer) and roadside assistance.

I won't pick it up until the 21st, I could have picked it up this week but my schedule is pretty packed so I pushed it to then.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the test drive yesterday, I was surprised at how easy it handled. A few things to get used to from driving a car for years, braking distance, taking right turns wider than usual and not being one of the fastest vehicles on the road (I am not a lead foot but I am a 10MPH over type of guy). I decided to make the purchase after I did the drive.

I did a full walk around, didn't notice any defects, I tested what I could--basically the slides, electrical and drive--didn't do anything with the plumbing. The dealer does however schedule me to bring it back in after 30 days where they will address any issues I noticed in the first month of ownership.

I spent my day after the drive going around to find an affordable RV storage facility that had spots available, the snowbirds come down with their RVs and buy up most of the available spaces. I found one that is fully paved, has 24 hour security, RV dump station and a wash bay--he had 1 spot left to fit my coach (it's a 35 foot spot for my 30 footer)...it's an uncovered spot but that isn't a huge deal for me. I also finalized the insurance, got the Good Sam extended warranty (cheaper and more comprehensive than the dealership offer) and roadside assistance.

I won't pick it up until the 21st, I could have picked it up this week but my schedule is pretty packed so I pushed it to then.

Congrats! Looking forward to a couple photos.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Unfortunately I broke the camera on my iPhone, a 50 lb dumbbell wins every time versus an iPhone--funny enough everything else works. So pics may be a while.

Here is a link to not my motorhome but the exact make, model, year and with the same options (overhead bunk, modern farmhouse interior package).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I broke the camera on my iPhone, a 50 lb dumbbell wins every time versus an iPhone--funny enough everything else works. So pics may be a while.

Here is a link to not my motorhome but the exact make, model, year and with the same options (overhead bunk, modern farmhouse interior package).

That's freakin' sick, dude!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I pick up the RV today. I was told to expect to spend 3 hours there as they go over every system and component to the coach one on one with me. Should be done just in time to get settled to watch the US play Wales in the World Cup.

Spent the past week getting things I need off of Amazon or at Target/Walmart. It’s like getting stuff for a new apartment…towels, bedding, dishes, not to mention RV specific stuff like hoses etc.

Also since my wife is nervous about driving it I signed us both up for RV driving school the week before Christmas. It’s 2 6 hour days, cost $$$ but worth it if it gives my wife some confidence when it comes to driving, I am sure I will learn some stuff too.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pick up the RV today. I was told to expect to spend 3 hours there as they go over every system and component to the coach one on one with me. Should be done just in time to get settled to watch the US play Wales in the World Cup.

Spent the past week getting things I need off of Amazon or at Target/Walmart. It’s like getting stuff for a new apartment…towels, bedding, dishes, not to mention RV specific stuff like hoses etc.

Also since my wife is nervous about driving it I signed us both up for RV driving school the week before Christmas. It’s 2 6 hour days, cost $$$ but worth it if it gives my wife some confidence when it comes to driving, I am sure I will learn some stuff too.

Smart. The best way to tackle those fears is to build up knowledge and confidence. I'm sure it will be well worth the investment.

I've always hoped to go down this road (yeah, I'm punny) someday, so your experience is very timely and invaluable! Appreciate you!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 92BDB6AC-6CB2-4862-82C8-67562B37830E.jpeg
    92BDB6AC-6CB2-4862-82C8-67562B37830E.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 3B78608D-2CD6-4C28-AF77-73388CE272AC.jpeg
    3B78608D-2CD6-4C28-AF77-73388CE272AC.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 8
  • F4980B9F-C675-4F6D-902B-487648F2D057.jpeg
    F4980B9F-C675-4F6D-902B-487648F2D057.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 8
  • E8CCBB76-8032-48F9-9B92-A32ECC77E4FD.jpeg
    E8CCBB76-8032-48F9-9B92-A32ECC77E4FD.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
La Mesa RV had a big red ribbon on my RV and a big sign congratulating me for my purchase. Super thorough with the walk through and they did a great job detailing it to have it ready for me to take home. Much better experience than dealing with car dealers.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Pics are with the slides in, I forgot to take pics with e slides out LOL

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I sgned my wife and I up for a 2 day RV driving school. It turned out to be really helpful, my wife was nervous and apprehensive at first but by the end of the course when asked by the instructor to rate her confidence on a scale of 1-10 she said an 8.

We practiced turns, backing the RV up, she got some time driving through the city and on the interstate and he went through each and every system even more thoroughly than the dealer did. It cost me almost $1000 but I think it was worth it.

My first trip is in January, just a short overnighter to Lake Okeechobee, its less than 100 miles away.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I sgned my wife and I up for a 2 day RV driving school. It turned out to be really helpful, my wife was nervous and apprehensive at first but by the end of the course when asked by the instructor to rate her confidence on a scale of 1-10 she said an 8.

We practiced turns, backing the RV up, she got some time driving through the city and on the interstate and he went through each and every system even more thoroughly than the dealer did. It cost me almost $1000 but I think it was worth it.

My first trip is in January, just a short overnighter to Lake Okeechobee, its less than 100 miles away.

Smart. We've had our RV for a few years and my wife has never driven it. We had a travel trailer for 7 years before that and she never drove. And then we also had a pop-up camper for a few years before that and she never pulled it. Not a very good plan if something happens to me lol.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart. We've had our RV for a few years and my wife has never driven it. We had a travel trailer for 7 years before that and she never drove. And then we also had a pop-up camper for a few years before that and she never pulled it. Not a very good plan if something happens to me lol.
Back when I was in college I worked for Budget Rent-A-Car in Flagstaff. We had an older couple in an RV that rented a car to get around while parking the RV. Man broke his foot at the Canyon, so couldn't drive. Wife didn't know how. So they hired myself and a co-worker to drive them and the RV back to San Diego.

Very eventful trip. I was driving when we got to Kingman. I noticed the gas gauge hadn't moved, so I asked if it was working and should we fill up. Man told me no, it gets great mileage. We ran out of gas half way between Needles and Barstow (middle of the desert, nothing around. My co-worker was driving, and didn't know about the aux tank. By the time we figured out what was going on, it wouldn't switch over.

After about an hour, I got it to switch over, and we made it to Ludlow. Filled up, asked if I should refill the aux tank - man says no, we will be fine. Wife chimed in "You better listen to him - you didn't in Kingman and look what happened!!"

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Saturday we take off on our first long road trip, a little over 2 weeks and heading up to MN to visit my in laws at their farm.

Should be an adventure. Not stopping anywhere exciting but it is a long drive and will be the longest time we've spent continually in the motorhome so far.

2 nights we are staying at different Loves RV Parks which are next to Loves Truck Stops--I guess it is a fairly new thing they are doing, nothing special but full hookups, a dog park, splash pad and being next to a Loves makes it convenient for snacks, fuel etc--wouldn't stay there long term but it works for a night.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We started out with a 22 foot travel trailer and truck and my wife never drove. We bought a used 24 1/2 foot motor home (Forest River Sunseeker) and she decided she was brave enough to drive it and does quite well. Still needs to slow down on turns though LOL. We just got back from a week up in the mountains and had a blast.

Last edited:

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm heading out in our trailer this weekend. Nothing special, just a little A-frame. Loved it because we could store it in our garage in phoenix. Little more difficult here in the city of Minneapolis with alley's so it's at a storage facility. We love it :) Don't want anything much bigger because we look to replace my truck with an EV SUV that can pull it.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Drive up to MN wasn’t bad, didn’t push it and limited myself to around 7 hours driving a day. There were only 2 times I was stressed out, Nashville—where between traffic, construction and left exits that forced me to cut across 3 lanes of traffic and in Illinois where I had to deal with a serious cross wind that made it a fight to stay in my lane.

We are in MN for another 6 days but staying in my mother in laws farm house rather than the RV. Weather has been nice but the freaking gnats and my allergies suck.

The only issues I’ve encountered with the RV is the auto leveling is not bringing me level but I read how to fix it and I have a couple of drawers that pop open during some turns (especially clover leaf exits).

I am planning a short trip once I get back to FL, probably to Lake Okeechobee, it’s only 2 hours from my home. Will do a couple of nights there.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the freeways in Nashville suck if you’re not used to them

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Drive up to MN wasn’t bad, didn’t push it and limited myself to around 7 hours driving a day. There were only 2 times I was stressed out, Nashville—where between traffic, construction and left exits that forced me to cut across 3 lanes of traffic and in Illinois where I had to deal with a serious cross wind that made it a fight to stay in my lane.

We are in MN for another 6 days but staying in my mother in laws farm house rather than the RV. Weather has been nice but the freaking gnats and my allergies suck.

The only issues I’ve encountered with the RV is the auto leveling is not bringing me level but I read how to fix it and I have a couple of drawers that pop open during some turns (especially clover leaf exits).

I am planning a short trip once I get back to FL, probably to Lake Okeechobee, it’s only 2 hours from my home. Will do a couple of nights there.

Wind is the worst! Probably the only thing that stresses me out while driving.

We were up in Show Low a few weeks ago. Those roads were pretty rough up there on the rim, apparently because of all the rain this winter.