Everything RV

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got there in the morning and it was snow covered and cloudy. Then the sun rose and the clouds blew away, and .......

You must be registered for see images attach

Yep, we went in March and there was snow on the ground too. It was majestic.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. We will probably rent this year since it appears our planned vacation isn't going to happen. We have started looking at possible retirement locations--we went to Galveston TX last year, probably head to Gulf Shores/Dauphin Island Alabama this year, will rent an RV to get there.

Are you considering those places due to family or cost of living or something? Those don't seem to be ideal retirement locations to me...

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Are you considering those places due to family or cost of living or something? Those don't seem to be ideal retirement locations to me...

Weather, cost of living and taxes for the most part.

Alabama does not tax pensions or social security--they have among the lowest property taxes in the country and when you turn 65 you no longer have to pay state property taxes.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax so no tax on pension, SS or 401k's--property taxes are high though but it freezes when you are 62 (no more tax hikes from then on).

Florida and Mississippi are the other 2 states I am considering--all places on the Gulf Coast...both are tax friendly for retirees as well.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I got there in the morning and it was snow covered and cloudy. Then the sun rose and the clouds blew away, and .......

I think this summer I'll be working at Crater Lake, since it's close to Depoe Bay, OR.

We bought a condotel at The Otter Crest Inn, and when we're not there it's in the rental pool. Summer is the busiest season, so we can have some income from the rental. More importantly, to get away from the summer heat in Phoenix, lol.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We were supposed to do a family vacation to Lassen, Crater Lake and Redwoods last summer. Even had rooms in the park.

Will try again in 2022

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My wife and I will absolutely Winter in FL and probably move our residence there. Taxation for retirees between PA & FL should be perfect.

Love this thread and vist the yearly RV Show in Hershey PA. It's massive.

My dad trains pointers in the Southwest and we went from a hand crank pop-up, to a Hi-Lo, to a 5th wheel. Loved them all.

People don't understand how easy it is to see America if you drive. I had been in every state before I graduated high school. Quite fun to hit the road my friends.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My wife and I will absolutely Winter in FL and probably move our residence there. Taxation for retirees between PA & FL should be perfect.

Love this thread and vist the yearly RV Show in Hershey PA. It's massive.

My dad trains pointers in the Southwest and we went from a hand crank pop-up, to a Hi-Lo, to a 5th wheel. Loved them all.

People don't understand how easy it is to see America if you drive. I had been in every state before I graduated high school. Quite fun to hit the road my friends.
I started with a pop-up as well. I don't miss that. Lol.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am in Indianapolis for work until the end of June so I decided that I will go to the RV show in Elkhart, IN at the end of April. Something like 80% of all RVs are manufactured in Indiana for some reason and Elkhart is the home to the RV Hall of Fame (which I did not know existed). The show is supposed to be really big so I am looking forward to it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I am in Indianapolis for work until the end of June so I decided that I will go to the RV show in Elkhart, IN at the end of April. Something like 80% of all RVs are manufactured in Indiana for some reason and Elkhart is the home to the RV Hall of Fame (which I did not know existed). The show is supposed to be really big so I am looking forward to it.
Yeah if you look at RVs here in Phx they will all have a couple thousand miles on them because they're driven here from Indiana.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Took the RV up to Utah and explored a few national parks. Awesome trip. Highway 12 is a must drive. Here’s a pic of Bryce Canyon. The Narrows at Zion was incredible too.

Attachments

• 40B9475C-6EFA-4B8F-A954-76C478D33F2C.jpeg
    40B9475C-6EFA-4B8F-A954-76C478D33F2C.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 3

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the RV up to Utah and explored a few national parks. Awesome trip. Highway 12 is a must drive. Here’s a pic of Bryce Canyon. The Narrows at Zion was incredible too.
Highway 12 is amazing - did that again last September. On the knife-edge section of the road - that must have been interesting in an RV.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Highway 12 is amazing - did that again last September. On the knife-edge section of the road - that must have been interesting in an RV.
As a dude afraid of heights I was jacked up! Best drive ever!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They canceled both RV shows I was planning on going to this year. I am hearing COVID is also disrupting the supply chain which of course is effecting manufacturing and dealers don't have a ton of inventory in stock right now and subsequently prices have gone up on just about everything.

I am glad I wasn't planning on buying this year because I'd probably be pretty disappointed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this has been asked earlier apologies. We've been looking at RV's we're kind of looking at one as a bridge from retirement at 56 1/2 to when we can get social security and IRA withdrawals penalty free so the RV would be our primary home.

I've been strongly leaning to the Class B/C Leisure travel vans. I really like the ones made with a mercedes. The brand new ones are like 150K, used ones tend to hold their value but it seems like they tend to all be at dealerships I don't see too many used ones for sale by private owner.

The one I've been looking at is https://leisurevans.com/unity/ They have whole videos on youtube where they walk through the entire thing so we've seen lots of details on them.

Are there any thoughts on those?

our primary issues would be where do we stay, I'd like to travel around but apparently Covid has made RV's really popular so it's harder to do that. Where do we park it when we say go on vacation, storage yard? I have a Subaru she has a Mustang what do we do with our cars if our primary residence is an RV.

My biggest concern is you don't really know if you're going to like it until you do it and that's a huge first step to buy one and then a few months later decide we don't actually like it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this has been asked earlier apologies. We've been looking at RV's we're kind of looking at one as a bridge from retirement at 56 1/2 to when we can get social security and IRA withdrawals penalty free so the RV would be our primary home.

I've been strongly leaning to the Class B/C Leisure travel vans. I really like the ones made with a mercedes. The brand new ones are like 150K, used ones tend to hold their value but it seems like they tend to all be at dealerships I don't see too many used ones for sale by private owner.

The one I've been looking at is https://leisurevans.com/unity/ They have whole videos on youtube where they walk through the entire thing so we've seen lots of details on them.

our primary issues would be where do we stay, I'd like to travel around but apparently Covid has made RV's really popular so it's harder to do that. Where do we park it when we say go on vacation, storage yard? I have a Subaru she has a Mustang what do we do with our cars if our primary residence is an RV.

My biggest concern is you don't really know if you're going to like it until you do it and that's a huge first step to buy one and then a few months later decide we don't actually like it.

If you haven't RV'd/lived in an RV, a rental would be a great step to see if you can handle it.

There are RV Storage yards that rent parking spaces. You may be able to work something that you can park the cars in your space when RV'ing. That is what my parents did - drive the car to the storage lot, and switch vehicles in the space.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just in Compton, CA and several streets there were lined with RV's of various sizes and condition. Many obviously haven't run in months and are likely immovable (without a tow truck). Still tents everywhere, too, but it was different seeing so many using RV's as makeshift homes. Obviously - none were hooked up for electricity or water...

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

The biggest drawback IMO of Class B's is most have a wet bath, in other words you shower in the space you'd also be sitting on the toilet in.

Regarding Leisure Vans, there is a guy on Youtube that has a RV Review Channel (Matts RV Reviews) and he recently did a video on the Leisure Vans. It was nice but they say it is a 18-24 month delivery time! That is a long wait to get your RV delivered.

Here is the video...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't RV'd/lived in an RV, a rental would be a great step to see if you can handle it.

There are RV Storage yards that rent parking spaces. You may be able to work something that you can park the cars in your space when RV'ing. That is what my parents did - drive the car to the storage lot, and switch vehicles in the space.

Yeah I have my boat in a storage yard so I'm familiar with them my concern is half the vehicles in there are in terrible shape they just get parked there and forgotten which makes me wonder how many RV owners really regret the purchase?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest drawback IMO of Class B's is most have a wet bath, in other words you shower in the space you'd also be sitting on the toilet in.

Regarding Leisure Vans, there is a guy on Youtube that has a RV Review Channel (Matts RV Reviews) and he recently did a video on the Leisure Vans. It was nice but they say it is a 18-24 month delivery time! That is a long wait to get your RV delivered.

Here is the video...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yes on the wet baths that's definitely the most common setup in those and not sure how Lucy would like that. Wasn't aware of the delivery time that's another reason to buy used which was sort of my plan anyways.

Thanks

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Have you found one Russ? Interested to hear how the search is going or if you have rented one to see how you like it.

My youngest is a sophomore in high school so we have a couple of years before we can go on really long trips but we gone most of the summers.

Definitely get something with a generator (preferably not near the sleeping area) that can run AC when needed. Solar can’t generate enough to run AC. It’s really only good for LED lights and running a fan or two. Technology is getting better but you need something that can store a lot of batteries.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you found one Russ? Interested to hear how the search is going or if you have rented one to see how you like it.

My youngest is a sophomore in high school so we have a couple of years before we can go on really long trips but we gone most of the summers.

Definitely get something with a generator (preferably not near the sleeping area) that can run AC when needed. Solar can’t generate enough to run AC. It’s really only good for LED lights and running a fan or two. Technology is getting better but you need something that can store a lot of batteries.

Sorry just saw this. NO we have not really even pursued looking. I suspect we're a few years away from that point right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose