BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The article isn't pulling up, but if it mentions Jalen Smith as a potential contributor to the rotation this season, I can't give it any credence, and if Monty does so here, it would cause me to lose confidence in Monty.
Fixed it for you! Not relying on Styx...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fixed it for you! Not relying on Styx...

If all they are talking about is Center, fine, but Frank looked pretty darn awful in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, and the article still very much overestimates where Jalen Smith is at this stage of his development.

That being said, what they really need is a replacement for, if not an upgrade from, Torrey Smith.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all they are talking about is Center, fine, but Frank looked pretty darn awful in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, and the article still very much overestimates where Jalen Smith is at this stage of his development.

That being said, what they really need is a replacement for, if not an upgrade from, Torrey Smith.
I think we lost a popcorn vendor too, that might be tougher than replacing Craig's 602 minutes.

Snark aside, I like Craig but he really wasn't that critical for us. McGee and Shamet (healthy) will eat up more rotation minutes than everybody we lost (including Saric) so I don't see a problem. I'd much rather add someone more capable of filling the backup to the backup 4 spot, preferably someone that offers more traditional PF skills for the odd nights when Cameron is at a disadvantage.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we lost a popcorn vendor too, that might be tougher than replacing Craig's 602 minutes.

Snark aside, I like Craig but he really wasn't that critical for us. McGee and Shamet (healthy) will eat up more rotation minutes than everybody we lost (including Saric) so I don't see a problem. I'd much rather add someone more capable of filling the backup to the backup 4 spot, preferably someone that offers more traditional PF skills for the odd nights when Cameron is at a disadvantage.

Craig provided more of that than Cam, which is why he got more minutes than Cam in the NBA Finals. Cam is at a disadvantage at the 4 more nights than not, even when his shot is falling. We even saw that in the last preseason game, where Cam's shot was outstanding, but he wasn't keeping up on the boards or defensively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A couple of points. It's hard to dismiss the loss of Torrey Craig when the Suns haven't replaced him with anyone that can fill his role... added depth at the 4/5.

The Suns can't count on everyone staying healthy. If the Suns lose McGee like Saric they will be severely hurting for depth upfront. As much as I like Jalen Smith, depending upon him to contribute in the playoffs is too much to ask. If he does, that's like gravy.

Size is a factor in the NBA all things being equal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Suns are DEEP on bigs

Kellen Olsen outlines how we have a DEEP roster of bigs on the Suns. Our coach thinks so too! :)
It’s a good point that last season that would’ve been a panic shot from stix. Nice to see him create space with physicality. Hopefully he translates to the season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Craig provided more of that than Cam, which is why he got more minutes than Cam in the NBA Finals. Cam is at a disadvantage at the 4 more nights than not, even when his shot is falling. We even saw that in the last preseason game, where Cam's shot was outstanding, but he wasn't keeping up on the boards or defensively.
Cam played MORE THAN DOUBLE Craig's minutes in the finals. The advanced stats make a case that we shouldn't have played Craig at all, we got KILLED with him out there.

I suspect you're going to pretend as though, yet another post, calling your out on your nonsense didn't happen.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cam played MORE THAN DOUBLE Craig's minutes in the finals. The advanced stats make a case that we shouldn't have played Craig at all, we got KILLED with him out there.

I suspect you're going to pretend as though, yet another post, calling your out on your nonsense didn't happen.

You're right and I am wrong regarding minutes played.

I am right and you are wrong in terms of how the team performed with each on the floor. Cam had the worst average plus-minus on the team at -5.8 (though granted Craig was also bad at -4.0).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're right and I am wrong regarding minutes played.

I am right and you are wrong in terms of how the team performed with each on the floor. Cam had the worst average plus-minus on the team at -5.8 (though granted Craig was also bad at -4.0).
Obviously you didn't watch the games. Cam had limited minutes but he was arguably the most consistently good player we had throughout the entire playoffs. He never went off for a huge game, but he never had a bad game either. Many of us were clamoring for him to get more minutes instead of being thrown out with the bench, which of course contributed to his +/-.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Obviously you didn't watch the games. Cam had limited minutes but he was arguably the most consistently good player we had throughout the entire playoffs. He never went off for a huge game, but he never had a bad game either. Many of us were clamoring for him to get more minutes instead of being thrown out with the bench, which of course contributed to his +/-.

I was AT two of the NBA Finals games. Cam looked silky smooth and good on offense, but he struggled mightily on the boards and defensively against the bigger players he had to guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The main reasons Torrey Craig saw as much time as he did in the finals is because Dario got hurt and Craig was a Buck for half the season. Despite practicing with and having first hand knowledge of their strategies and playbook he was largely ineffective. We'll be fine with his minutes being split between Cam J, McGee, and Shamet.

I appreciated his play and added depth but I'm not concerned with losing him given the makeup of this roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I like to look at it. Saric was the Suns backup center last season and McGee is the Suns backup center this season.

Subtract both of them and then look at the Suns depth at center without Craig.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I like to look at it. Saric was the Suns backup center last season and McGee is the Suns backup center this season.

Subtract both of them and then look at the Suns depth at center without Craig.
I thought the worst thing we did last season was play Craig at center. It was bad for him and for us. I liked him a lot more at the 3 and 4 spots. And if he gets cut again midseason, I'd love to see us bring him back in that role.

I think Ayton, McGee and Kaminsky is a nice center rotation. Frank can play some 4 too but we need either another 4 or a 5 that can fit into the rotation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the worst thing we did last season was play Craig at center. It was bad for him and for us. I liked him a lot more at the 3 and 4 spots. And if he gets cut again midseason, I'd love to see us bring him back in that role.

I think Ayton, McGee and Kaminsky is a nice center rotation. Frank can play some 4 too but we need either another 4 or a 5 that can fit into the rotation.

For some reason Monty seemed to lose confidence in Kaminsky. I wouldn't mind seeing Frank play more center where mobility is not such an issue. In a lot of ways he brings a lot of the same things Saric brought to the table.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For some reason Monty seemed to lose confidence in Kaminsky. I wouldn't mind seeing Frank play more center where mobility is not such an issue. In a lot of ways he brings a lot of the same things Saric brought to the table.

I think Craig is a better overall player than Frank and that played into how and why Monty used Craig a lot at Center while Frank lost his spot once Craig came in. Now Monty will either be forced to use Frank if he doesn't like what Ayton or McGee are doing or go really small.

I almost think James Jones is saving Monty from himself because Torrey Craig at Center put us at a real disadvantage more than it helped.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Craig is a better overall player than Frank and that played into how and why Monty used Craig a lot at Center while Frank lost his spot once Craig came in. Now Monty will either be forced to use Frank if he doesn't like what Ayton or McGee are doing or go really small.

I almost think James Jones is saving Monty from himself because Torrey Craig at Center put us at a real disadvantage more than it helped.

I never looked at it this way. It could well be.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We saw in Game 1 of the NBA Finals exactly why Monty lost confidence in Kaminsky. When he isn't hot from 3, he's useless. Basically the front court version of Langston Galloway.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sounds like Kaminsky is transitioning to the 5, where his foot speed will be less of an issue, and it does look like he's trying to bulk up, to me. I doubt we see Frank at the 4 much.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like Kaminsky is transitioning to the 5, where his foot speed will be less of an issue, and it does look like he's trying to bulk up, to me. I doubt we see Frank at the 4 much.

Frank has always been a 5 but his shooting allows him to play at the 4, especially alongside guys like Dario who are 4's in size but play better as 5's. Allows them to play the 5 on one end and the 4 on the other. Ayton can also play the 4 defensively if needed, which is what he'll do with Frank also. If Frank did bulk up so he could actually be someone people won't try to posterize in the paint though it can only help him, and us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is better suited than Kaminski to play spot minutes at the 4 when necessary. He has the mobility to do it. If he can/will shoot the three when open, it should be no problem Please. I am not advocating playing him there any extended amount of time--just in spot minutes when the team needs to go bigger.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know people freak out about him playing the four, but it may be actually easier to have a guy like McGee play center and have Ayton play the four, instead of searching for a four. We may have the best 4 already.
Ayton is better suited than Kaminski to play spot minutes at the 4 when necessary. He has the mobility to do it. If he can/will shoot the three when open, it should be no problem Please. I am not advocating playing him there any extended amount of time--just in spot minutes when the team needs to go bigger

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know people freak out about him playing the four, but it may be actually easier to have a guy like McGee play center and have Ayton play the four, instead of searching for a four. We may have the best 4 already.

Then we need a legitimate third center who is better than Frank, so Ayton doesn't play afraid of picking up fouls, the way he did in the Finals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave