Euro 2016

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Surprised nobody has been talking about this.

Iceland beats England in what is perhaps the biggest upset in English history.

To put that in perspective, Iceland will be playing France in a stadium that holds 80,000 people. That is over a quarter of the ENTIRE POPULATION of Iceland! Amazing story.

Spain was also beat today by Italy, knocking them out of the tournament.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
I've seen us play worse, but not by much.

No desire and just same turgid 30 yard ball over the top and not a single play took his man on until Rashford came on with 3 minutes to go. Loads of possession....yeah great!! Ram it up your arse England!!!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
:shocker:

Wow, what a result. This has been an incredible tourney so far with some magnificent story lines. I really, really wish Ireland had held that 1 goal lead they got in the first minute over France, though ;)

I'm actually quite happy with the Iceland result. I'm an underdog guy, so there's that element, but I really felt Hodgson held them back quite a bit--and there's club resentment that goes along with it. Andros Townsend was in form and playing much better than some who were brought along, but Hodgson left him out. He didn't really pick any wide players, and it's cost him, dearly. I mean (as long as we keep him), it's better for Newcastle, because it leaves Townsend rested, but how many times did the announcers wish they had a true winger he could use? How often did they mention Kane was taking the free kicks because there was no other free kick taker good enough? I almost belly laughed every time, because Hodgson dug his own grave there.

Now, I'm not saying this is THE reason why they lost. The reasons are legion, I know. He also couldn't seem to pick the right starting eleven to save his life. I mean, why wasn't [insert a bunch of names] in the lineup? Even when they won, it was because he brought in subs who should have been starting already.

Zoiks, was Hodgson bad. Yes, the players were bad too, and that's a lethal combo. I liken it to Newcastle's situation. We were more talented than a relegation team, obviously, but we had a coach that killed our chances and inspired the players not at all. Once we got a good coach, those players started coming to life, although it ended up too little too late for us.

If England pick the right coach--and they need to go through this selection process carefully--there's no reason they can't do serious damage at WC 2018. They have plenty of time to get the team in order. Though, if they go on to hire Alan Pardew, I'll both laugh at and cry for the English :)

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gianluigi Buffon had some pretty big saves yesterday.
The games start again on Thursday?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Portugal vs Poland today, not sure who I am rooting for in this match up. I want to root for Portugal but Cristiano Ronaldo just irks me.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Totally missed it, but apparently it happened in the first two minutes of the game!

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Screw Wales, I've always rooted for a Home Nations, but that Wales video of them watching England v Iceland, they can ram it up theirs collective wrong uns!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, go Wales! The great thing is it wasn't just the Bale show, but a total team effort. Okay, go Iceland next, then go Wales and Iceland. How insane would that be? A Wales/Iceland final?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go Italy! They probably don't have much of a chance today against Germany, but it would nice to see an upset.:cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave