MCU: Eternals

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a solid trailer until then end. Not that it ruined it but it looked quite different than your usual Marvel flick until that scene after the title card.

I never cared for the Eternals in the comics but the cast of this is too talented for it to stink. I think that's the right approach for a film like this. Since the characters have weird names and don't differentiate from one another that much, casting big names will help audiences familiarize themselves with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Heads up. Avoid social media and articles on The Eternals. There are spoilers out right now from the media screenings. So watch out if you want to go in fresh. I know a few people here got spoiled on the new Bond film and weren't happy about it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salma and Angelina Jolie, count me in!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean, I want to like it, but none of the trailers have actually given a plot (I haven't watched the above one because of the warnings). My basic impression is that they've been watching since ancient times, but now there's a horrible external threat and they decide to step in.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Jon Snow and Robb Stark survived.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fyi.... rt has it at 49%

Audience ratings are 86%

As is my usual, I'll go with the audience score. I'll see this soon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saw it last night.

It wasn't bad, certainly not as bad as the critics have made it out to be. I liked the direction a lot, Chloe Zhao is a fantastic director and the casting was actually quite good. I'm glad Gemma Chan is getting more exposure, she's actually a really great actress. I also wasn't sure how Angelina Jolie was going to fit in as a "supporting" character, but it worked, and she shows a lot of physicality in the role.

There is a twist about 3/4 of the way through that I didn't see coming, but wasn't surprised that much when it happened.

Still, this movie had a really hard task of introducing like 10 new characters for Phase 4 and Phase 5. And they did a pretty decent job of it. The final post-credit scene was great.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Not familiar with these characters. We tried watching on Disney+ and it was really boring. Maybe try another time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Eternals may have been too much for the general public. To a comic book kid I enjoyed it. Though introducing the celestials is tough to incorporate into the MCU imo. The universe is expanding at an exponential rate. I think it becomes difficult for the casual fan to keep track off.

That said, I’m excited for the introduction of BK (won’t expand on that without spoiler).

Stout

Reaction score
I think Eternals may have been too much for the general public. To a comic book kid I enjoyed it. Though introducing the celestials is tough to incorporate into the MCU imo. The universe is expanding at an exponential rate. I think it becomes difficult for the casual fan to keep track off.

That said, I’m excited for the introduction of BK (won’t expand on that without spoiler).
There was almost no plot for 1/2 the movie, then it was extremely weak plot, then it was a bad, predictable twist. This is why I couldn't figure out what the movie really was about from the trailers--it wasn't really anything but a broad introduction for more movies, which is why it (IMO and a lot of others') sucked so bad. It was basically, "So there are these eternals..."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Eternals should have been a series. That would have allowed them to explore their past more and how and where they fit in the MCU. Instead they've done series like Falcon & Winter Soldier that would have been better suited as a film. Give me 6 hour long episodes of The Eternal and a 140 minute film for F&WS.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it, the wife didn't.

While it's not a stinker, it is certainly well down the list of quality MCU movies. Hoop Head certainly has the right idea..... it should have been a series. No way are you going to stuff 6-8 hours of material into 2 1/2 houre and maintain qualty.

3 of 5 stars for me, mostly for effects.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This won’t be a popular opinion, but Marvel movies are pretty formulaic now. This went completely against the formula and it failed. Similar to why DC movies fail as well. They aren’t the formula and audiences don’t want anything except the formula.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it but didn't love it. I liked it because it was different and thematically, I liked where they were trying to go with it. Ultimately, though, I left the movie feeling like it was trying to lead you somewhere (much bigger story) and it didn't get there. Some of the characters were likable. I just found it odd that I liked it more than I thought I would but also understand why it was so divisive with fans.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it but didn't love it. I liked it because it was different and thematically, I liked where they were trying to go with it. Ultimately, though, I left the movie feeling like it was trying to lead you somewhere (much bigger story) and it didn't get there. Some of the characters were likable. I just found it odd that I liked it more than I thought I would but also understand why it was so divisive with fans.
So, you’re saying... you liked it? ;)

Stout

Reaction score
This won’t be a popular opinion, but Marvel movies are pretty formulaic now. This went completely against the formula and it failed. Similar to why DC movies fail as well. They aren’t the formula and audiences don’t want anything except the formula.
So you're trying to low-key say you love all what DC is doing now and not what Marvel is? Because I got a big Shang Chi to bust that argument.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So you're trying to low-key say you love all what DC is doing now and not what Marvel is? Because I got a big Shang Chi to bust that argument.
Huh? How did you come to that conclusion?

Geez, people just love to put words in my mouth today.

Stout

Reaction score
Huh? How did you come to that conclusion?

Geez, people just love to put words in my mouth today.
Sounded like you think all Marvel movies are alike (formulaic) and people love them for that and DC is "imaginative" and people don't like them for it.

IMO, Marvel is doing way too much in every property now to set up all the OTHER properties, and it's making the current property being shown, be it a movie or series, suffer for it. I'll probably cherry pick Marvel movies from now on, because many of them won't catch my interest. The shows I'm just going to avoid altogether. They were huge disappointments.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There was almost no plot for 1/2 the movie, then it was extremely weak plot, then it was a bad, predictable twist. This is why I couldn't figure out what the movie really was about from the trailers--it wasn't really anything but a broad introduction for more movies, which is why it (IMO and a lot of others') sucked so bad. It was basically, "So there are these eternals..."
Yeah tough to argue with that description. Like I said, I don’t think the Eternals was ever going to be easy. First, way to many to introduce. Second, way too many centuries to cover. Third, celestials.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Eternals should have been a series. That would have allowed them to explore their past more and how and where they fit in the MCU. Instead they've done series like Falcon & Winter Soldier that would have been better suited as a film. Give me 6 hour long episodes of The Eternal and a 140 minute film for F&WS.
I agree.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sounded like you think all Marvel movies are alike (formulaic) and people love them for that and DC is "imaginative" and people don't like them for it.

IMO, Marvel is doing way too much in every property now to set up all the OTHER properties, and it's making the current property being shown, be it a movie or series, suffer for it. I'll probably cherry pick Marvel movies from now on, because many of them won't catch my interest. The shows I'm just going to avoid altogether. They were huge disappointments.
People don’t like DC because it isn’t like Marvel. I believe that the normal audience appreciates and expects the formula. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but that doesn’t say anything whatsoever about my feelings one way or another about any of these movies other than I think Marvels are formulaic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose