ESPN on KGB

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Should the Philadelphia Eagles lose defensive right end Hugh Douglas as an unrestricted free agent, don't be surprised if they attempt to sign Green Bay pass rusher Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila to a restricted free agent offer sheet. That is the red-hot rumor, at least, around the league. A three-year veteran, "KGB" is nearly six years younger than Douglas, and at age 25 should have his best football still ahead of him. The Packers have made a qualifying offer at the middle level "tender," of $1.318 million, to retain the right of first refusal. It means that, if any team signs Gbaja-Biamila to an offer sheet, the Packers can match the contract and assume that deal. If they passed, they would receive a first-round draft choice as compensation. The Packers don't have much cap space remaining, but can hardly afford to lose their young star. Defensive end Vonnie Holliday appears poised to depart Green Bay as an unrestricted free agent and last year's big veteran acquisition, defensive end Joe Johnson, is coming off a left triceps injury that limited his 2002 season to just five games. For the Eagles, getting Gbaja-Biamila would be an upgrade over anything Philadelphia is going to be able to add with the 30th choice in the first round. Such an offer sheet scenario would pit two of the best cap managers in the league. Joe Banner of the Eagles would have to craft an offer sheet he felt would be difficult for the Packers to match. And the Packers' Andy Brandt might have to carve out a little more cap room to retain "KGB." The young defensive end, who had never even started a game until last season, has 25½ sacks over the last two years.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense for the Eagles. The Redskins already made an offer to a backup Safety of the Packers who is a restricted free agent who they want to make a starter. The Packers could match it to hold onto him for depth, but then they are afraid they won't have the money to hold onto KGB if some team like the Eagles makes an offer for KGB. The Eagles could try to take advantage of that if Green Bay matches the Redskins offer for the safety.

The Eagles and Packers aren't in the same division, but I always believed if possible, go after free agents from teams in your division if they have someone that fits your team's needs. You can weaken your oppenent and strengthen your team at the same time.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They could use the #30 pick to draft Antwan Peek from Cincinnati and he'd cost about 80% less.

Peek is going to slide somewhere into round 2 because he's under 250 pounds but, like KGB, mark my words he will finish in the top 10 of the league in sacks.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
I'll quote myself.

Hey, dude, I was completely wrong. It happens all the time. Feel better?

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah. I just very much resent your implication that I was lying to the readers. I don't do that. If Boston wasn't garnering interest on the open market I would have reported it that way.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Yes, there should be accountability for slamming people. If you're wrong on something, own up to it immediately. Or, nothing else you write can be taken seriously.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
They could use the #30 pick to draft Antwan Peek from Cincinnati and he'd cost about 80% less.

Peek is going to slide somewhere into round 2 because he's under 250 pounds but, like KGB, mark my words he will finish in the top 10 of the league in sacks.

I read a quote the other week from a sports writer who said he did some research a couple years ago that showed only 23.6% of first-round picks, taken 14 or lower, ever make the Pro Bowl. KGB didn't make the ProBowl this year, but he was an alternate behind Hugh Douglas of Philadelphia, Simeon Rice of Tampa Bay and Michael Strahan of the New York Giants. Based on those stats, I still think it makes sense if the Eagles make a run at KGB if they lose Douglas since they are drafting late in the first round.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I started out the post season all excited about Peek because of what someone said on this bb. So I watched him (Cincy had a late season game on the tube). He didn't impress me at all. If you're looking for a second-echelon DE to draft early in Round 2, Dwayne White may be your guy. I watched a late Louisville game and he flashed some pass rushing talent. Nice mean streak too.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B

I'd be surprised if Peek goes before the 3rd round. He may sneak into the late 2nd but that's a stretch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose