English League Championship Promotion Race

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Has anyone glanced at the table in the Championship recently? WOW! It couldn't be tighter. 4 teams--Bournemouth, Derby, Watford and Middlesborough all tied at the top with 66 points, with only goal differential separating them. Norwich only a point back at 65, and Brentford on 62 to round out the playoff places. Ipswich on 61 points, just outside the playoff places. Any of them could win the Championship. Wolves are on 58, and could make the playoffs.

That's 8 teams still with the legitimate possibility of making the Premiership next season. Four of them atop the league with 66 points, and only 8 points separate the first from last. Damn!

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Definitely going to come down to the last game. Wish my team Fulham was in the mix. Oh well. Hoping they are not relegated any further.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Has anyone glanced at the table in the Championship recently? WOW! It couldn't be tighter. 4 teams--Bournemouth, Derby, Watford and Middlesborough all tied at the top with 66 points, with only goal differential separating them. Norwich only a point back at 65, and Brentford on 62 to round out the playoff places. Ipswich on 61 points, just outside the playoff places. Any of them could win the Championship. Wolves are on 58, and could make the playoffs.

That's 8 teams still with the legitimate possibility of making the Premiership next season. Four of them atop the league with 66 points, and only 8 points separate the first from last. Damn!
I'd like to see the wolves make it back one day.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Big Mick is the Ipswich manager now.

Dinosaur of football in many ways, but he gets the job done (mostly).

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Big Mick is the Ipswich manager now.

Dinosaur of football in many ways, but he gets the job done (mostly).

I looked up what he did with Wolverhampton. He really did an amazing job with them, and got screwed in the end. That said, yeah, I remember his reputation being as you describe.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Since we don't have a current premier league thread or a thread to really start this topic...I bumped this championship thread to ask what you guys think about steven gerrard's comments about the galaxy. he says he thinks the galaxy are better than he expected them to be and that they would compete well in the premier league. maybe not verbatim but I thought that is what I read.

do you guys think they (LA) would be championship level or below or premier level? or is this even a good debate? I thought his comments were interesting given his background. and although MLS is way stronger than it ever has been, maybe that he is over-selling MLS. I am not a galaxy fan nor do I really follow a particular MLS team, but I'd say in the last year or two I've seen a lot of growth and excitement that wasn't necessarily there before.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Since we don't have a current premier league thread or a thread to really start this topic...I bumped this championship thread to ask what you guys think about steven gerrard's comments about the galaxy. he says he thinks the galaxy are better than he expected them to be and that they would compete well in the premier league. maybe not verbatim but I thought that is what I read.

do you guys think they (LA) would be championship level or below or premier level? or is this even a good debate? I thought his comments were interesting given his background. and although MLS is way stronger than it ever has been, maybe that he is over-selling MLS. I am not a galaxy fan nor do I really follow a particular MLS team, but I'd say in the last year or two I've seen a lot of growth and excitement that wasn't necessarily there before.

I think it's a ridiculous comment, but it's understandable that he'd say it. It's his team now, after all. LA would probably be around Championship level, I'd say.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's a ridiculous comment, but it's understandable that he'd say it. It's his team now, after all. LA would probably be around Championship level, I'd say.

I would say high Championship or low Premiere level. Certainly a team that would flirt with relegation and promotion. I think they could be competitive with the big boys in the Premiere League, but they probably wouldn't win a lot of games against them.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would say high Championship or low Premiere level. Certainly a team that would flirt with relegation and promotion. I think they could be competitive with the big boys in the Premiere League, but they probably wouldn't win a lot of games against them.

They would be fighting relegation in the 2nd division.

To say that they would be competetive with the top teams in the premiere league is outrageous.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

To say that they would be competetive with the top teams in the premiere league is outrageous.

Stay in Germany and for the love of God STOP commenting on things you have absolutely NO knowledge of!

You barely understand European football and we're supposed to believe you know anything about MLS?

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Don't be absurd. You really do come out with some rubbish at times.

The top 6-7 teams in the Champ are roughly equal to the bottom 4-5 in the Prem. You're saying that the Galaxy are worse than my team. I can tell you, as somebody who has watched my team quite a bit, that you are wrong. Very wrong. You've proven a few times that your knowledge of the game isn't what you think it is.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Stay in Germany and for the love of God STOP commenting on things you have absolutely NO knowledge of!

You barely understand European football and we're supposed to believe you know anything about MLS?

Hahahaha I like this.