Emergency Preparedness Kits

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Dback Jon, Feb 26, 2020.

1. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

Life boat water rations.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  2. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

3. Luciano

Luciano Registered

Yes !

4. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

I'm set for any possible catastrophe.

mac cheese.png

dscher, Russ Smith and UncleChris like this.
  5. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Did you pick up any Kirkland Black t-shirts while you were there? :shrug:

wa52lz and MrYeahbut like this.
  6. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

Too soon!

7. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

I have food, water, and a chair.

8. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

Where can I buy one of these chairs?

AzStevenCal and Kel Varnsen like this.
  9. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

CARBOLICIOUS!!!!!

10. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

I use the packets and rotate them in my car’s go to hell bag. I also take a well- insulated thermos-style water bottle filled with fresh water and ice cubes whenever I get in a car. When I get home I dump the excess on a plant.

Plus, because I,m a thirsty kind of a girl, I carry a small bottle of water in my purse.

11. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

yes. having that moment and realizing you were in such a rush to take a crap, that beyond having no toilet paper, you're also in the women's bathroom as a couple walk in.

true story, with much more disgusting details left out...

12. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

My emergency preparedness kit?

AR 15.

Your kit, becomes my kit. Welcome to the Thunderdome.

wa52lz likes this.
  13. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

LOL

Just have to make sure you're pointing it at someone who doesn't have anything to point back. ;)

LVG likes this.
  14. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

Several hundred rounds of 5.56 and several hundred rounds of 9mm are ordered and on their way from Cabela's, as I type.

I have all kinds of lifestraws, filtering pitchers, a few boxes of MREs and a pantry full of canned goods as well as boxes of instant rice plus a medium sack of non-instant rice at home. I also have my camping gear with many cans of propane and a camping stove already packed, as well as portable solar panels.

This weekend, I might go buy water. Whether its large jugs or a case of bottles will depend on what's available. I'd prefer smaller, reusable bottles.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Krangthebrain likes this.
  15. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

This is a subject near and dear to me. I take it pretty seriously, because there are so many ways things can go wrong. We don't take time daily to realize how lucky we are or how privileged. Being that privileged also makes us thoughtlessly dependent on everything around us going right at all times.

We're pretty lucky (those of us in Arizona) to live in a spot that possibly has the least concerns about natural disasters anywhere. No earthquakes. No hurricanes. No real flooding. No mudslides, or blizzards. No tornadoes. No tsunamis. It makes it easier to imagine that any shortage we would encounter of any length would be due to a man made occurrence.

What are the real risks? Acts of war or terrorism of course are on the list. It wouldn't be far fetch for some group or country to attack infrastructures. Remember the Kinder Morgan gas line break in Tucson about 8 years ago? Gasoline supplies were cut off for about four days and people lost their ****. It was weird. Long lines, price gouging, and angry confrontations.

The worst acts of war would involve NBC attacks. Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical. The Phoenix area is spread out enough that chemical attacks wouldn't affect a large part of the community. Natural or weaponized biological attacks would vary in result and may force someone to cut off interaction until it burned itself out. Nuclear attacks are either real big or small, like a dirty bomb that would only affect a local area with fallout concerns.

Based on these factors, you really need to consider whether in an emergency you'd bug out or burrow in. In our area, for the above reasons, staying put is more likely an outcome. Stockpiling staples for survival over a length of time is a good idea for lots of reasons.

I don't think an NBC attack is very likely at all. The biggest bang for the buck a bad actor could inflict would be an EMP attack, disabling huge portions of the electronics in the country. Most everything would grind to an immediate halt, including communication, food and water supply, transportation, and the like. That, would be a long term problem for everyone because it can't be fixed anytime soon. Months.

Actually, the thing that concerns me most of all in the long run is the blatant and criminal disregard our leaders have for the utter house of cards they've built our economy on. We are now TRILLIONS of dollars in the red every year, and paying for it by borrowing more money every year. It's not like we had a rough year and had to go in the hole for a moment and are paying it back. Nope. The house of cards is getting taller and weaker. The can keeps getting kicked down the road without even a fake attempt to reverse it. When the music stops and the pillars of the economy crumble, the worldwide depression will be like nothing ever seen before.

Anyway, to the point of preparedness. It didn't cost too much money to put the following together:

50 lbs of dry spaghetti
    50 lbs dry rice
    20 cans of textured vegetable proteins.
    6 tubs of protein powder
    20 cans of freeze dried fruits
    20 cans of freeze dried vegetables
    4 25 bags of dry beans
    75 lbs of dry flour.
    4 5-gallon tubs of dry oats.

A suitcase full of medical supplies

Lots of water and water purification supplies.

Solar cookers, fresnel cookers, and camping/survival gear all well organized and used for fun frequently.

I put together a medium sized solar generator that can power comm devices, a small fridge, cooking and cleaning items. It's packed in a Faraday box in a shed.
    Everything else is packed in tubs under beds and in closets, out of the way.

Safes and lockers full of a broad array of defensive weapons as well and the family fully trained in their usage.

I'm not paranoid, not worried about zombies or any such thing. It's just another form of insurance I hope I never use, but want to have if anything unfortunate happens. It's all good for 25 years or more. I wouldn't have to leave the house for a year if I didn't feel like it.

ASUCHRIS, LVG and DemsMyBoys like this.