Ellington limited in practice with foot injury

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now we'll see if Dwyer, Taylor, and Hughes are worth their roster spots. Next man up.

Is there a way Cards can pluck Grice off SD practice squad?

I like your idea if it can be done. Grice has good speed as a RB and is a good receiver as well. With Ellington out he would bring some of the same skills to the table.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever!

Just like you wanting to rush back TM & let him play because "he's been cleared".

All I know is knee injuries typically took 12-18 months to come back fully before AD miraculously broke the trend a few years back. It seems now that Docs have that timeframe engraved in there heads. They should re-evaluate their timeframe because in case you didn't notice 2 guys now coming back in less than a year are now gone for the season with ACL injuries!!! Bradford & Bulagas new ligament tears were caused by not what would considered bad hits or twisting or a direct hit.

Believe what u wanna believe but you're dead wrong on both issues...and let's hope TM doesn't meet the same fate as the other 2 players mentioned!!!

Do you have any actual medical evidence to support this contention that either were more susceptible to injury given the time of their returns?.

And Bulaga has a strain not a tear and will be back.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Not sure what first downs mean for anything. Someone's going to pick up first downs. I kind of expected that with interior blocking still being a problem, we'd have seen less of Ellington than we would have liked because we'd be seeing more of Taylor and Dwyer for blocking purposes.

I honestly don't think that anyone feared our backfield last season, either. Ellington had great rate stats, but how much of that was a factor of teams expecting us to pass over and over, as well?

Yes, it's bad that our offense lost it's third-best player. But it also lost a guy who gained fewer yards than Mendenhall. This team is likely going to be involved in a lot of shootouts, anyway, which means fewer opportunities to carry the ball in the run game.

IMHO, Ellington has become fairly overrated on the board based on the fact that our perception of runningbacks has been so skewed by the dreck that has been forced upon us for the last decade or so. Ellington's a fine back with some potential, but he's not a foundation back like Lynch or Peterson or Charles.

I'm not saying Ellington IS going to be Charles, but I don't know how you can write him off after one season when they're so similar to one another in almost every way. Their respective rookie seasons:

Jamaal Charles
67 carries @ 5.3 YPC 27 receptions @ 10.1 YPR Height 5'11 Weight 199

Andre Ellington
118 carries @ 5.5 YPC 39 receptions @ 9.5 YPR Height 5'9 Weight 199

I don't think losing him is a death blow but it certainly sucks. Without him there is no change of pace back and now defenses have absolutely no reason to worry about the run because there will be no homerun threat touching the ball in the backfield. Good old one dimensional Cardinals football, it's a joy to watch.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
When was the last time the Cardinals had a durable running-back-beast...?

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
We will be just fine..Our line is going to work extra duty to get some huge holes for them to run threw...

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Same old same old:

It doesn't seem to ever change from year to year. I guess all of us just forgot and had our hopes up again. The usual scenario for years now:

RB gets hurt and is either out or limited. Thus our running goes to hell. Defenses know this and put the pressure on our passing game. QB is overly pressured, can't find WR open, and throws an interception for every TD he throws.

Why don't they just run the same film every first or second week of the season for us.

What I don't get is how we each fell for the idea that this year would be any different. Aren't we ever going to learn. We are the Cardinals, for christ sake.

I actually agree with your statement.. Not sure if your being sarcastic though.

As I've been getting my hopes up all off season, I had this darkness in the back of my mind, I could just feel like I was getting too high, and it was inevitable for something like this to happen.

Losing Washington really hurt, losing 9-0 was pretty bad, but this is catastrophic.

I say all this not knowing how long Ellington is out for, for the record.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not saying Ellington IS going to be Charles, but I don't know how you can write him off after one season when they're so similar to one another in almost every way. Their respective rookie seasons:

Jamaal Charles
67 carries @ 5.3 YPC 27 receptions @ 10.1 YPR Height 5'11 Weight 199

Andre Ellington
118 carries @ 5.5 YPC 39 receptions @ 9.5 YPR Height 5'9 Weight 199

I don't think losing him is a death blow but it certainly sucks. Without him there is no change of pace back and now defenses have absolutely no reason to worry about the run because there will be no homerun threat touching the ball in the backfield. Good old one dimensional Cardinals football, it's a joy to watch.
Who's writing Ellington off? It's certainly not me. I like Ellington.

Whist separates Charles from Ellington to me isn't ability, but proven production and role in the offense. Your sample size above is too small to be meaningful, particularly for Charles. If Charles goes down, the KC offense is toast. Heck, if Charles gets a high ankle sprain, it's likely the difference between 9-7 and 6-10 for KC.

As I said, Ellington is no better than the third-best player in this offense.

That comparison you made IS pretty compelling. Thomas Jones was the guy standing in the way of Charles getting a greater share.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, if you lose an arm, just learn to tackle with the other one.
You're a running back and you've got a bad wheel? Just deal with it; hop faster.

Steve

Some good stuff. :D

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who's writing Ellington off? It's certainly not me. I like Ellington.

Whist separates Charles from Ellington to me isn't ability, but proven production and role in the offense. Your sample size above is too small to be meaningful, particularly for Charles. If Charles goes down, the KC offense is toast. Heck, if Charles gets a high ankle sprain, it's likely the difference between 9-7 and 6-10 for KC.

As I said, Ellington is no better than the third-best player in this offense.

That comparison you made IS pretty compelling. Thomas Jones was the guy standing in the way of Charles getting a greater share.

I agree with what you wrote and that's what has me concerned. BA said he was going to develop the offense around Ellington in the offseason and that still bothers me. I really truly hope that was hyperbole otherwise we're going to have issues.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with what you wrote and that's what has me concerned. BA said he was going to develop the offense around Ellington in the offseason and that still bothers me. I really truly hope that was hyperbole otherwise we're going to have issues.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BA says a lot of stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave