Ellen Page Is Now Elliot Page as Actor Shares Transgender Identity

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need a pronoun that isn't tied to gender and I'd be in favor of encouraging its use for all people. I'm not in favor of making anyone's life tougher but I'm not in favor of the idea that each individual can adopt the meaning they choose for the pronoun they choose. That's a dead-end for me.

I'm willing to keep my mind open here. What are your concerns? Do you sense some unintended consequences resulting from this type of declaration?

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to keep my mind open here. What are your concerns? Do you sense some unintended consequences resulting from this type of declaration?

The declaration? Not at all. I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion of any worth. I was just talking about the ambiguity and potential communication issues that grow out of people simply adopting the pronoun they choose. But it's possible the confusion is at my end only and it's the result of my shallow understanding of the subject. What does Elliot mean when Elliot says my pronouns are "he/they". Specifically, when is "they" appropriate?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The declaration? Not at all. I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion of any worth. I was just talking about the ambiguity and potential communication issues that grow out of people simply adopting the pronoun they choose. But it's possible the confusion is at my end only and it's the result of my shallow understanding of the subject. What does Elliot mean when Elliot says my pronouns are "he/they". Specifically, when is "they" appropriate?

I'm certainly no expert and I think this is all new and maybe even a little confusing for many of us.

As I understand it, when Elliot is someone who identifies with the pronouns he/they, he is expressing that she/her aren't applicable any longer when referring to the person now known as Elliot Page.

So in casual conversation you might say, 'Elliot Page and Sharon Stone were in a new movie that just came out and they were terrific in it. Elliot really knows his emotions and Sharon can still prove she's got it.'

If I'm wrong, which is quite possible, I'd appreciate some insight from those more familiar than I with some of these preferences.

To me, Page is a fairly easy one to navigate but there are definitely some more complicated situations that pretty much will only be understood on a case by case basis. So, there is bound to be some confusion, but it doesn't really put me out to learn something new if it makes someone feel better or more comfortable. So, I don't really see it as a burden in any way. Keeps life interesting, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert and I think this is all new and maybe even a little confusing for many of us.

As I understand it, when Elliot is someone who identifies with the pronouns he/they, he is expressing that she/her aren't applicable any longer when referring to the person now known as Elliot Page.

So in casual conversation you might say, 'Elliot Page and Sharon Stone were in a new movie that just came out and they were terrific in it. Elliot really knows his emotions and Sharon can still prove she's got it.'

If I'm wrong, which is quite possible, I'd appreciate some insight from those more familiar than I with some of these preferences.

To me, Page is a fairly easy one to navigate but there are definitely some more complicated situations that pretty much will only be understood on a case by case basis. So, there is bound to be some confusion, but it doesn't really put me out to learn something new if it makes someone feel better or more comfortable. So, I don't really see it as a burden in any way. Keeps life interesting, in my opinion.

You could be right but I didn't see it that way. If that's all it is no big deal, but I don't see why "they" is even included then as that pronoun already works for any gender. I guess I was expecting there to be more to his words because of some of the situations I think you're alluding to, that being the belief that gender identity can be fluid.

To be clear, for me, it's not the pronoun he chose, it's the idea that a person can choose what a pronoun means. I do believe we need a pronoun that works for all genders and I'd support a movement to put it into heavy use so that it doesn't carry any stigma.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could be right but I didn't see it that way. If that's all it is no big deal, but I don't see why "they" is even included then as that pronoun already works for any gender. I guess I was expecting there to be more to his words because of some of the situations I think you're alluding to, that being the belief that gender identity can be fluid.

To be clear, for me, it's not the pronoun he chose, it's the idea that a person can choose what a pronoun means. I do believe we need a pronoun that works for all genders and I'd support a movement to put it into heavy use so that it doesn't carry any stigma.

I'm not sure on the 'they' thing. However, for those who aren't sure and don't wish to offend, 'they' is a very safe bet!

Words change meaning. Gay comes to mind as a quite recent one. One generation thinks it means festive/happy. For another, it means homosexual. When I was in high school, we used it as a pejorative. Times change and we adjust. I'm sure we can navigate this if we just let things evolve and allow our hearts and minds to be open to it.

mjb21aztd

Reaction score
No hate towards her choice

But always loved page in her movies she was cute as well

Least she open bout it....

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we need a pronoun that isn't tied to gender and I'd be in favor of encouraging its use for all people. I'm not in favor of making anyone's life tougher but I'm not in favor of the idea that each individual can adopt the meaning they choose for the pronoun they choose. That's a dead-end for me.
Why? Why is a limitation of language, which doesn’t actually impact you, more important to hold onto than making someone feel more comfortable?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Why? Why is a limitation of language, which doesn’t actually impact you, more important to hold onto than making someone feel more comfortable?
I have always wondered when the acknowledgement that a person has multiple identities moved from being a disorder to being a matter of comfortability.

Either way..... I think calling everyone dude is the right thing to do in this instance.

p.s. The dude comment was me kidding. No flame wars please.

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have always wondered when the acknowledgement that a person has multiple identities moved from being a disorder to being a matter of comfortability.

Either way..... I think calling everyone dude is the right thing to do in this instance.

p.s. The dude comment was me kidding. No flame wars please.

I have a good friend that has Dissociative Identity Disorder with 19 personalities and it's a been a bit of a comfort for since she found out. A lot of stuff started making sense and it's allowed them to get a lot of things in order by coordinating between each of them. Her life is running smoother and more normal now because it's not so disjoined.

On calling me dude:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has Dissociative Identity Disorder with 19 personalities and it's a been a bit of a comfort for since she found out. A lot of stuff started making sense and it's allowed them to get a lot of things in order by coordinating between each of them. Her life is running smoother and more normal now because it's not so disjoined.

On calling me dude:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's a good perspective. Thanks for that. It could provide some emotional cover to help one not feel as isolated. #EmpathyMatters

As for the song. Not my brand of whiskey. haha

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's a good perspective. Thanks for that. It could provide some emotional cover to help one not feel as isolated. #EmpathyMatters

As for the song. Not my brand of whiskey. haha

I didn't necessarily expect you to like the song. It's just a cautionary tale of calling someone dude. ;)