'Edge' ready to show his stuff for Cardinals

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5941364

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) - The running woes that have long plagued the Arizona Cardinals could be history. Now, Arizona has the 'Edge.'

After only a cameo appearance in the preseason, Edgerrin James will be on full display in the Cardinals' opener Sunday against San Francisco. It's time to earn that four-year, $30 million contract.

"I'd say Edge should get probably 25 runs and probably five touches with the pass," coach Dennis Green said after the Cardinals practiced Wednesday.

Cardinals fans packed the team's new stadium for two home preseason games, but only got a glimpse of their new star running back. James carried seven times for 1 yard in four preseason games, caught two passes for 11 yards, and would have preferred not to have played at all.

But it's for real now, and James is out to show fans that he is just as good a player in Arizona as he was in Indianapolis, where he gained at least 100 yards in 49 games and won two NFL rushing titles.

"They're going to see the same guy who's been doing the same thing for seven years," he said. "I only have one way to play, and that's at a high level."

James doesn't like preseason games because of the possibility of injury, but he makes up for it in practice.

"He's ready to go," Green said. "Keep in mind, he sees himself a certain way. He sees himself as being one of the most dynamic players in the game. He sees himself as being one of the best backs in the game. It's up to us to make sure that we fulfill our obligation to be a much-improved team, and then I think Edge will take care of his part."

James has topped 1,000 yards in a season five times, including the last three. The Cardinals, meanwhile, had the worst running game in the NFL last season. Not once did a back top 100 yards. Arizona hasn't had a 1,000-yard back since Adrian Murrell in 1998, the Cardinals' only winning season since the franchise arrived in 1988.

The major question for James' success is whether the offensive line can create any room for him to run. James said the line simply has to avoid mental errors.

"That's the main thing," he said. "As long as they go to the right people, I'm not worried about anything because athletically they're a good group."

The makeup of the line still is not settled. Reggie Wells, normally the starting left guard alongside mammoth tackle Leonard Davis, has worked some at right tackle in the absence of Oliver Ross, out for at least the opener with a knee injury.

Wells noted that James historically gets stronger as the game progresses, so don't expect anything spectacular early against the 49ers.

"We'll be fine. Edge has said it himself, he doesn't start off games and break 60- or 70-yard runs," Wells said. "I don't think many backs do in this league. It's all about sticking with it, perseverance. Once we get into the 15-to-20 carry mark, that's when we start gashing them. We're not worried about preseason stats, and we know he isn't, either."

James, who gets nearly $15 million this year, is also a major threat receiving and one of the best blocking backs in the NFL. That should only enhance the Arizona passing game, which features perhaps the best tandem of receivers in the league in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

"My mom used to work real hard whatever she did," James said. "If she cleaned somebody's house, she'd do it real well. That's the same approach I take to it. Anything I do, I want to do it well. I don't want to just be a body out there. That's the approach I take to playing this game."

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this Sunday's game is going to be special.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
I have a feeling that this Sunday's game is going to be special.

I dont know what to feel. We haven't won an opening game in seven years, and only two in the last twelve. Im excited, but worried.

Just win.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
"It's all about sticking with it, perseverance. Once we get into the 15-to-20 carry mark, that's when we start gashing them."

This is so true

To get to that 15 carry mark, the Cards have to be ahead ( or at least within one score) in games in the fourth quarter.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
le sigh...

Seriously, is it Sunday yet?

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so freaking excited! I can't wait to see him play his first real game as a Cardinal.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah this week is taking forever and its only thursday tommrow seems like this is taking a year for sunday to get here lol well off to play madden and ncaa 07 to pass the time GOD I CANT WAIT TILL SUNDAY GO CARDS :) THE EDGE WILL CARRY US TO VICTORY

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5941364

"My mom used to work real hard whatever she did," James said. "If she cleaned somebody's house, she'd do it real well. That's the same approach I take to it. Anything I do, I want to do it well. I don't want to just be a body out there. That's the approach I take to playing this game."

Like doing real well in preseason games! Oh wait... I'm just giving him a hard time :) I think he'll play well in his first game...

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I hope Rowen commits to running the ball 25 times. He has that Martz mentality.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:
I dont know what to feel. We haven't won an opening game in seven years, and only two in the last twelve. Im excited, but worried.

Just win.

We have also never had an opening week home game. And a home game in front of a sell out crown to boot.

The NFL has never done us any favors in that regard.

Reaction score
JPlay said:
I hope Rowen commits to running the ball 25 times. He has that Martz mentality.
Where does this assupmtion originate? Prior to becoming OC for the Cardinals, Rowen was the Offensive Line coach for the Kansas City Chiefs... No one wants to run the ball more than an OL (well OK the RB does, but...). KC over the last several years has been known for it's rushing attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA