Eddie Johnson's take on the Shaq trade

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why Phoenix made the deal for Shaq

February 7, 2008 @ 9:17 am · Filed under Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, Shawn Marion, Shaquille O'Neal, Pau Gasol

Shaquille O'Neal - Icon Sports MediaA few weeks ago I heard about a potential deal the Suns might be involved in, but I brushed it off because around this time of year we hear all kinds of rumors. Then when the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol, my mind started to wonder and mainly because there are two teams that the Suns view as huge hurdles to the finals: the Lakers and the Spurs.

I again started to worry because it meant more Shawn Marion trade rumors and one more round of those rumors could really destroy any progress the Suns made since the Garnett discussions last summer with regards to the Matrix.

Well, here we are again and this time it’s a done deal.

Let’s get one thing straight before I talk about the value of this trade and give my five reasons why the Suns had to make a deal for Shaq and my five reasons why it could work… Shawn Marion is one the best people and players I have ever had the pleasure of watching and the Miami Heat will find out what working hard for 48 minutes is all about when the Matrix arrives in South Beach.

Marion leaves as one of the most consistent and popular Sun players ever and he will definitely be a candidate for the Suns Ring of Honor when he retires. Shawn is the best combination rebounder and defender in this league since Dennis Rodman and the Suns will have to find a combination of players to replace what Marion brought to the table every night in those hustle categories.

I also know Shawn well enough to say that he will indeed miss Phoenix, but he understands that being traded virtually head up for the most dominant player that has probably played is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Although the Matrix factor will be missed, the Suns had to do something. Yes, they have the best record in the Western Conference. But something was not right. The dominance that we were used to see was not there on a consistent basis. We did not see the blowout games or the 20 to 4 runs that this team has spoiled us with over the last three years. The games seemed to be a grind and it wore on the fans and critics and caused us to think that maybe the Suns were becoming vulnerable. That, combined with the improvement of the Hornets, Nuggets, Trail Blazers and Warriors at the bottom of the pack, made a trip to the Finals look hazy and difficult.

So we also must assume the Suns front office and coaching staff had some of the same anxiety because they are extremely giddy at having the opportunity to put Shaq in a Suns uniform.

Here are five reasons why the Suns had to make this move for Shaquille O’Neal:

Steve Nash’s window of opportunity is closing

As each year passes, the Suns cannot expect Nash to continue to create offensively for everyone. Pushing the ball on the fast break is one thing, but having to run the two-man game 40 possessions every night against physical defenses will eventually take its toll. Nash deserves a chance to add a title to his two MVP trophies.

Spurs have never won back-to-back championships

The last time this scenario came to bear, the Dallas Mavericks used a physical combination of Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop to wear down the Amare-less Suns to move on to the Finals against Shaq and the Heat. The Spurs have showed signs of wear and tear and the Suns do not want to miss out again on this opportunity.

Lakers add Pau Gasol factor

The Lakers could have said we traded for Pau Gasol on Halloween because it scared everyone in the Western Conference. I don’t even play anymore and it scared me. Imagine the frontline of Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum and Gasol. Then combine it with the athleticism and shooting of Kobe Bryant and it’s obvious how every team is saying, “Why is Phil Jackson so darn lucky and why can’t he suffer for long?”

Throw in Trevor Ariza, Jordan Farmar, Derek Fisher and Ronny Turiaf. The Lakers look like a championship team this year.

Suns are 2-6 against the top teams in the West

The Suns have beaten the Lakers without Bynum and they beat the Spurs early in the season. They are 0-2 against the Hornets, lost twice to the Lakers with Bynum and got beaten by the Mavericks. The major reason for the losses has been an inability to defend the paint and the lack of defensive rebounding. Proof lays in the stats of the teams interior players when they play the Suns. Bynum averages 21 and 12. Duncan averages 27 and 17. Chandler averages 15 and 15. All above their season averages. And if you want to look further, Al Jefferson, who plays on arguably the worst team in the league, averages 32 and 16 in two Timberwolves wins this season against the Suns.

Combine this with the foul trouble of the Suns best offensive player, Amare Stoudemire, and we see why the Suns chose to pursue Shaq.

The Portland Trail Blazers and the Greg Oden factor

The Blazers are the team of the future. If Greg Oden lives up to his promise and LaMarcus Aldridge and All-Star Brandon Roy continue to grow, the Suns will have another couple of big bodies to deal with over the next few years.

So now that I have given you why the Suns made the move, here are five reasons why it could work:

First let me say this… I have heard the comment about Shaq is a shell of himself so on and so forth. Give me a break. I predicted the Heat would struggle this year and it was not because of Shaq. It was because of the players Pat Riley surrounded him with. Riley basically signed and drafted players that can’t throw the ball into the post and most importantly did not strike fear in teams with their jump shooting ability. This can ruin any big man that is a threat to post up and be productive in this league, including one of the most dominant ever.

So it’s absurd to judge Shaq on what he has done this year. He deserves to be judged on what he can bring to the Suns.

Suns rise immediately to one of the most physical teams

Shaquille O’Neal is a wall. The most overhyped stat is blocked shot. What about deterrence and altering decisions with the ball? The Suns are at the top of the league in blocked shots, but are viewed as a weak defensive team. The reason they blocked shots is because they got a ton of opportunities. Now that statistic will go down, but the opposition’s in-the-paint scoring will too. That means teams will take more jump shots and the Suns are better at that game than anyone in the league and now they also have the interior scoring of Amare and Shaq to boot.

The Suns are the worst defensive rebounding team in the league because they could not command space. Shaq will allow Amare, Grant Hill, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, etcetera, to be better rebounders because he will eat up space and punish offensive rebounders with long outlet passes – thus allowing Nash and Leandro Barbosa to leak out.

Finally, Shaq will protect Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire from physical play. Players are physically afraid of him and he will punish you if you take shots at his teammates. I would love to see Robert Horry throw Nash to the floor with Shaq around to punish Parker or Duncan.

Three players that command serious defensive attention

Shaq, Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire will cause teams to change their defensive philosophy during the course of the game, which is extremely difficult to do.

Case in point. How will teams defend the Suns when they run the high pick-and-roll with Amare? Normally teams will rotate the weak side big defender over to challenge him. Well, if that occurs you have Shaq on the weak block flashing in for a pass from Nash or a guard trying to block him out. If teams get silly enough to rotate a small player to Amare, then they allow Raja Bell or Leandro Barbosa to have wide open three-point shots on the weak side.

Mike D’Antoni can use his full playbook now with the back-to-the-basket dominance of Shaq.

Improve the running game

The biggest fallacy about the Suns and their running game is that Shaq will slow them down. I believe it will speed them up and give them more opportunities to run. I have already talked about possessions and the physicality Shaq brings to the Suns.

Now couple that with better confidence with your defensive rebounding – thus allowing Nash, Barbosa, Hill and Bell to run out earlier. The Suns could be even more potent. Also throw in Amare running more because of not having to fight and box out big centers.

I never saw Kareem Abdul-Jabbar running the lanes for the Lakers, but I did see him igniting it with rebounding and long outlet passes, and then coming down on the block with commanding presence.

Amare will become more dominant

Because of the matchup nightmare Shaq would bring, Amare Stoudemire will benefit the most.

Foul trouble should decrease and scoring and rebounding should go up. Also watch for his weak side defense to produce more blocked shots and steals. We have never seen what Shaq could do with a young dominant power forward beside him and he has one of the best in Stoudemire, who should be ecstatic at the chance to stop battling centers every night.

Nash can play without dominating ball

This might be the most important cause of the Shaq trade and here is why.

D’Antoni would love to keep Nash on the floor and use him off the ball, but he knows the offense would stall. The addition of Shaq and his great passing out of the post will allow the NBA’s best three-point shooter to spot up for periods during the game and punish defenses for doubling.

Case in point. Grant Hill throws it in to Shaq with Nash and either Barbosa or Bell on the weak side and Amare on the elbow waiting for the short jumpshot or the run to the basket if they double off of him.

This will destroy any defense and if Shaq stays healthy the Suns will be the team to beat come playoff time.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great stuff from E.J.

Suns rise immediately to one of the most physical teams

Shaquille O’Neal is a wall. The most overhyped stat is blocked shot. What about deterrence and altering decisions with the ball? The Suns are at the top of the league in blocked shots, but are viewed as a weak defensive team. The reason they blocked shots is because they got a ton of opportunities. Now that statistic will go down, but the opposition’s in-the-paint scoring will too. That means teams will take more jump shots and the Suns are better at that game than anyone in the league and now they also have the interior scoring of Amare and Shaq to boot.
Excellent point about the the blocks vs altering shots & gameplanning.
Finally, Shaq will protect Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire from physical play. Players are physically afraid of him and he will punish you if you take shots at his teammates. I would love to see Robert Horry throw Nash to the floor with Shaq around to punish Parker or Duncan.
IMO this is huge. I've been whining about the SUNS pillow soft demeanor when challenged physically for years. I also hope that the next time a SUN extends his hand out to the opposition after knocking him down that Shaq tell's him(or any other teammates) "Hey, don't pick him up off the floor! You put him there for good reason. Just walk to the other end."

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/shaqtv_080206.html

The clips from the 2007 all-star game show Shaq with some quickness. Hmm. Has he lost that much in one year?

I've never been much of a Shaq fan--Lakers hater and all. But watching these clips of Shaq are giving me shivers. We have never had anything like that in a Suns uni. An that beside Amare. Here's hoping all the quips about his tank being empty are overblown.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why Phoenix made the deal for Shaq

February 7, 2008 @ 9:17 am · Filed under Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, Shawn Marion, Shaquille O'Neal, Pau Gasol

Improve the running game

The biggest fallacy about the Suns and their running game is that Shaq will slow them down. I believe it will speed them up and give them more opportunities to run. I have already talked about possessions and the physicality Shaq brings to the Suns.

Now couple that with better confidence with your defensive rebounding – thus allowing Nash, Barbosa, Hill and Bell to run out earlier. The Suns could be even more potent. Also throw in Amare running more because of not having to fight and box out big centers.

I never saw Kareem Abdul-Jabbar running the lanes for the Lakers, but I did see him igniting it with rebounding and long outlet passes, and then coming down on the block with commanding presence.

I agree with this. I have believed for the last few years that our lack of reboounding has stunted our running game. We have managed to still run off makes, but we have given up way to many second shots. This is the first national media type that I have heard say that Shaq will actually make us faster.

Its the lack of having Shawn that will slow us. Shaq will initiate the break, but no one was faster down the court than Shawn.

Ying and Yang.

Get Artest now, and we're good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/shaqtv_080206.html

The clips from the 2007 all-star game show Shaq with some quickness. Hmm. Has he lost that much in one year?

I've never been much of a Shaq fan--Lakers hater and all. But watching these clips of Shaq are giving me shivers. We have never had anything like that in a Suns uni. An that beside Amare. Here's hoping all the quips about his tank being empty are overblown.

The Suns FO did say they went back and looked at Shaq on film as I recall.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
U need a lot of film to understand Shaq's quickness ...

2006 ECF, Heat vs Piston, I don't remember which game, in crutch time, late 3rd or early 4th, score was close, Shaq went to perimeter defending a pick & roll by Sheed and Hamilton, off the screen Rip was about to launch his trademark jumper. Shaq rotated to him so quickly and jumped so high, blocked the shot, caught the ball and hold to it, ran past Rip, dribbled down the court like a guard, finished the fast break himself with a layup, with a couple of Pistons running after him eating dust... It was one of the top highlight of that year's playoff, I bet u can find it.

There is no physical problem on the big fella, guys. He is so smart that knows exactly how much left in his tank, he also knows so well when and where to spend them.

Last edited:

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I believe it was the 6th game and game that decided the series. He WANTED to go to the finals and played like it.

2006 ECF, Heat vs Piston, I don't remember which game, in crutch time, late 3rd or early 4th, score was close, Shaq went to perimeter defending a pick & roll by Sheed and Hamilton, off the screen Rip was about to launch his trademark jumper. Shaq rotated to him so quickly and jumped so high, blocked the shot, caught the ball and hold to it, ran down the court dribbling like a guard, finished the fast break himself with a layup, with a couple of Pistons running after him eating dust... It was one of the top highlight of that year's playoff, I bet u can find it.

There is no physical problem on the big fella, guys. He is so smart that knows exactly how much left in his tank, he also knows so well when and where to spend them.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
EJ is one of the best writers with a lot of basket ball smarts and knowledge. I always love reading EJ's take. Very good analysis. I really hope it works out the way analysis points out.

HooverDam

Reaction score
EJ seems like a cool guy, and he's great on tv, but lets be honest, he's the biggest Suns homer their is. The Suns could trade Steve Nash for a bag of wood screws and he'd love it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
EJ seems like a cool guy, and he's great on tv, but lets be honest, he's the biggest Suns homer their is. The Suns could trade Steve Nash for a bag of wood screws and he'd love it.

NOt a chance. He has been critical of the Suns in the past. He is also a close friend of Shawn Marion. So, what's the problem with his logic.

Eddie lays out some well thought out reasons why this is a good trade and we're supposed to believe "Shaq's a shell, Shaq's washed up, Shaq's a cripple" etc.

When you read all of the stories, the shallow, emotional, knee-jerk, takes are all against it.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score

2006 ECF, Heat vs Piston, I don't remember which game, in crutch time, late 3rd or early 4th, score was close, Shaq went to perimeter defending a pick & roll by Sheed and Hamilton, off the screen Rip was about to launch his trademark jumper. Shaq rotated to him so quickly and jumped so high, blocked the shot, caught the ball and hold to it, ran past Rip, dribbled down the court like a guard, finished the fast break himself with a layup, with a couple of Pistons running after him eating dust... It was one of the top highlight of that year's playoff, I bet u can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FbzLQHgOUA

HooverDam

Reaction score
NOt a chance. He has been critical of the Suns in the past. He is also a close friend of Shawn Marion. So, what's the problem with his logic.

Eddie lays out some well thought out reasons why this is a good trade and we're supposed to believe "Shaq's a shell, Shaq's washed up, Shaq's a cripple" etc.

When you read all of the stories, the shallow, emotional, knee-jerk, takes are all against it.

His criticisms are pretty light at best, I think if you talk to any fan from another city, they'd tell you EJ is a big Suns homer. I'm not saying thats BAD, I'm just saying it is.

Sounds like someone may miss small ball already.

Do you go out of your way to try to annoy me with your neanderthal like posting? We weren't at all discussing that but yet you felt the need to try to get in a little stab, pure class.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His criticisms are pretty light at best, I think if you talk to any fan from another city, they'd tell you EJ is a big Suns homer. I'm not saying thats BAD, I'm just saying it is.

Do you go out of your way to try to annoy me with your neanderthal like posting? We weren't at all discussing that but yet you felt the need to try to get in a little stab, pure class.
It's a two-way street.
It's equally annoying to have you play the antagonist role whenever somebody throws anything out there.
E.J. works for the SUNS. Of course he's a homer.