Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Grant had some pretty funny moments on stage.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in!

Last thing that I enjoyed from this IP was the cartoon. I hope they pull this off. Would likely be huge money.

Anyone else getting a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see they are not taking this too seriously. It might be a fun movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out this new fad of using modern language in historical-type movies. The word "OK" wasn't even invented until 1838 and is American in origin.

I get that this is Dungeon's & Dragons and isn't meant to be any kind of historically accurate, but nothing takes me out of movies set in what appears to be a middle ages time quite like bad writing does.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out this new fad of using modern language in historical-type movies. The word "OK" wasn't even invented until 1838 and is American in origin.

I get that this is Dungeon's & Dragons and isn't meant to be any kind of historically accurate, but nothing takes me out of movies set in what appears to be a middle ages time quite like bad writing does.
I used to feel that way too. After a Knights Tale using modern music (which is similar) and it working IMO? I don't mind as long as it's not historical. It doesn't hang me up anymore.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This movie is trying to capture what shows like Critical Role has done and keep it pretty snarky.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And then there is the opposite, like Romeo + Juliet - did that bother you?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And then there is the opposite, like Romeo + Juliet - did that bother you?
Wow, what a false equivalency. That said, I didn't care. Modern movies with that kind of language are few and far between. Hell, you had to go back almost 30 years to find that example.

I would enjoy Dungeons & Dragons if it had the language of say, Deadwood, instead. At least it would be different.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a false equivalency. That said, I didn't care. Modern movies with that kind of language are few and far between. Hell, you had to go back almost 30 years to find that example.

I would enjoy Dungeons & Dragons if it had the language of say, Deadwood, instead. At least it would be different.

How is that a false equivalency - it is a modern movie with historical language, so the same language disconnect you mentioned.

And it was just the first one that popped into my head.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

+1 This has been driving me crazy in a bunch of new titles. It always makes me feel like the writers didn't care enough to use appropriate language.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

American accents certainly didn't exist in this "time period" either.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For me, it all depends on the property. For instance, Willow, from the little I've seen thus far, is absolutely garbage with it. Knight's Tale, on the other hand, was brilliant with its anachronisms.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is that a false equivalency - it is a modern movie with historical language, so the same language disconnect you mentioned.

And it was just the first one that popped into my head.
Please illuminate us on the dozens of other properties that use old language in a modern context.

Because there are quite a few I can come up with the opposite off the top of my head. I’m not sure what you’re arguing. Wouldn’t saying, “I’m cool with it. It doesn’t bother me,” be enough?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please illuminate us on the dozens of other properties that use old language in a modern context.

Because there are quite a few I can come up with the opposite off the top of my head. I’m not sure what you’re arguing. Wouldn’t saying, “I’m cool with it. It doesn’t bother me,” be enough?
Chap, you're kinda coming off as the aggressor here. and still condescending with that opening line when Jon literally has done nothing but chime in with an opinion opposite yours.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not arguing anything. Just curious as to how you felt about the opposite.

As for modern language in an old setting, I'd rather that than a butchered or poorly executed version of what someone thought older language was (and if you go too far back, you'd need subtitles, anyways.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not arguing anything. Just curious as to how you felt about the opposite.

As for modern language in an old setting, I'd rather that than a butchered or poorly executed version of what someone thought older language was (and if you go too far back, you'd need subtitles, anyways.
I'm not saying they have to speak in Old English, I'm saying STOP using modern vernacular. That's it.

Look at the Lord of the Rings -- that language was perfect for that kind of movie. It's understandable and doesn't sound like it's written by someone who grew up on MTV.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they have to speak in Old English, I'm saying STOP using modern vernacular. That's it.

Look at the Lord of the Rings -- that language was perfect for that kind of movie. It's understandable and doesn't sound like it's written by someone who grew up on MTV.
We all have different things we wished a movie "got right".

Does it bother you that Lord of the Rings had bird calls and songs that wouldn't exist in a Middle-Earth based on Europe?

Or bird songs in a movie that is set in North Carolina that only occur on the West Coast?

Or would you even notice?

How many of the target audience for this movie would know when the term OK came into the vernacular?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We all have different things we wished a movie "got right".

Does it bother you that Lord of the Rings had bird calls and songs that wouldn't exist in a Middle-Earth based on Europe?

Or bird songs in a movie that is set in North Carolina that only occur on the West Coast?

Or would you even notice?

How many of the target audience for this movie would know when the term OK came into the vernacular?
Why are you making this such a big deal? You don't know that "OK" wasn't an actual word in the Middle Ages? I know how intelligent you are, so I know you know that it wasn't.

All I said is that I wish those kinds of movies didn't use modern vernacular - but you have expanded that to be even bigger and somehow that makes me... I don't know what. I'm not sure why. Probably shouldn't have said anything. Feel like I'm being policed. And of course I'm the aggressor. Ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose