Dune: Part One (2021)(HBO Max/theaters)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two word Dune review:

Appropriately Ginormous.

Def down to go back to the theaters to be blown back in my chair by the sheer size of the second half of the story.

I mean, that is a MOVIE THEATER MOVIE. Visionary look, tone and feel for the movie. Not overly invested in Paul, but love the worlds they’ve set up and watch them vie for power/survival.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, concerns that they distort characters and characteristics of Paul in this one? How was that handled? Were Guerney Halleck and Duncan Idaho weirdly juxtaposed, as in the trailer? Did they force the character of Paul into the too-weak, not ready boy that needs to become a man, VERY unlike the book, which was portrayed in the trailer? Inquiring minds want to know before...well, it's free, so I'll probably watch it anyway lol
"So, concerns that they distort characters and characteristics of Paul in this one? How was that handled?"

He was definitely more outwardly emotional than he was in the book. This is why the lack of the inner-monologue rubbed me a bit wrong. Without knowing what he's thinking you really can't make him a compelling character while being true to the books imo. He's just too calculating and stoic.

"Did they force the character of Paul into the too-weak, not ready boy that needs to become a man, VERY unlike the book, which was portrayed in the trailer?"

He doesn't come off as weak(or whiny like in the Syfy mini-series I found unwatchable), maybe unprepared would be a better way to describe it. Still not like the book but they are probably after some sort of character arc.

"Were Guerney Halleck and Duncan Idaho weirdly juxtaposed, as in the trailer?"

I didn't get this impression watching it. I actually quite liked the portrayal of Duncan in the movie. Wasn't as fond of Leto(none of the adaptations seem to do him justice), Lady Jessica or gender swapped Leit Kynes.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So looks like I have to eat my own words that i have zero interest in a new Dune unless Lynch is involved and watch it...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took my son to see this this weekend. We loved it. This is superior to the original in so many ways. So epic. The even managed to make some things that came off as so weird in the original seem more grounded and make sense. This movie was awesome. We can't wait for the sequel.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter and I watched it on HBO max last night and loved it. So much better than the original one. Can't wait for part two!

I might have to go watch this again in the theater now.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm definitely in the minority but I was extremely disappointed in this movie. I've read all the books in my youth and liked the first movie, but this was disappointing to me. The grandiose set pieces and musical score were outstanding (outstanding actually doesn't do either justice), but I'm very over Jason Momoa "acting" in anything. Every single scene he's in features an I know I'm gorgeous smirk. Yes, you are, now get off my screen. It doesn't matter if he's Aquaman or Duncan, he's never a different character, he's just Jason Momoa's stupid face smirking at me and winking. I thought Oscar Isaac was brilliant, as was Dave Bautista, but Josh Brolin for me fell into the Momoa category. Both were miscast imo and Momoa shouldn't even be in the film. I suppose it helps bring in younger people and makes it more accessible in some sense but for me it broke the film--I literally just rolled my eyes, which is never a good thing in a supposedly epic and serious film.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this for the first time.

I haven't read the books, but this was visually and audibly amazing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this for the first time.

I haven't read the books, but this was visually and audibly amazing.
It was kinda mind blowing from those standpoints in the IMAX.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA