Dune: Part One (2021)(HBO Max/theaters)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
M. Night is one of the only directors who routinely gets to make these type of movies. And that’s because he’s proven himself after self financing The Visit, which brought him back from the dead.

no pun intended.
I am not as harsh as others about M. Night. I can find almost something in every one of his films that I like. Except maybe Avatar. That was a major stinker. He just struggles putting together complete packages so to speak. I have not seen this but I will maybe this weekend. I appreciate the kind of film maker he is even if I don't find all of his films great. If that makes sense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am not as harsh as others about M. Night. I can find almost something in every one of his films that I like. Except maybe Avatar. That was a major stinker. He just struggles putting together complete packages so to speak. I have not seen this but I will maybe this weekend. I appreciate the kind of film maker he is even if I don't find all of his films great. If that makes sense.
More power to you if you find some good in Lady in the Water and the killer wind movie The Happening. Oh, and the Village, which is possibly the single worst movie I've ever seen in a theater.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More power to you if you find some good in Lady in the Water and the killer wind movie The Happening.
Easy. I liked that he attempted new source material at the time using creatures from folklore. It's really about overcoming fears and finding your place. Was the execution lousy? Yep. The Happening was pretty bad but there were parallels to nationalism, fears post terror attacks and the absolute helplessness you feel when you're up against something you can't control. Again was the execution lousy? Yep. It didn't help that MW was as convincing in this role as Shaq playing a leprechaun.

Everybody always complains about writers/directors not taking any chances and doing original stuff. Like I said I can appreciate what he attempts to do even if the outcome isn't so great.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Easy. I liked that he attempted new source material at the time using creatures from folklore. It's really about overcoming fears and finding your place. Was the execution lousy? Yep. The Happening was pretty bad but there were parallels to nationalism, fears post terror attacks and the absolute helplessness you feel when you're up against something you can't control. Again was the execution lousy? Yep. It didn't help that MW was as convincing in this role as Shaq playing a leprechaun.

Everybody always complains about writers/directors not taking any chances and doing original stuff. Like I said I can appreciate what he attempts to do even if the outcome isn't so great.
Sure you can appreciate the chances he takes, but if the product isn't any good, it being original is not a good enough reason for me to fork over my money.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure you can appreciate the chances he takes, but if the product isn't any good, it being original is not a good enough reason for me to fork over my money.
Chap? "I appreciate the kind of film maker he is even if I don't find all of his films great. If that makes sense."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought The Visit was a lot of fun and dug Split too. Both were solid, small comeback vehicles. Glass wasn’t my cup of tea. But the trailers for Old and two of his last three being winners has me enough to go see it at some point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More power to you if you find some good in Lady in the Water and the killer wind movie The Happening. Oh, and the Village, which is possibly the single worst movie I've ever seen in a theater.

Lady In The Water destroys The Village if we’re talking worst Night movie.

I thought the first half of the Village at least was solid from an atmospheric standpoint even though I suspected the big twist at the end. Second half of the movie was awful.

Lady In The Water was truly atrocious in every way, IMO, and stands above the rest merely for making Night a writer in the movie who’s book was going to save the world. I mean... have a LITTLE humility dude!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does this movie seem like it's not getting the hype it deserves? I mean the marketing seems pretty tame considering the content and the cast.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The latest trailer is fantastic. And yes, the novel still remains a major part of the zeitgeist.
A major part of zeitgeist, sure. But does it generate sales with the generations that followed our’s?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the novel still well-read these days?
First published in 1965. In 2003 when it had sold over 12 million copies it was declared the best-selling science fiction novel of all time. It currently has sold more than 20 million copies. So it seems to be pretty well-read. Translated into dozens of languages and sold worldwide, of course.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does this movie seem like it's not getting the hype it deserves? I mean the marketing seems pretty tame considering the content and the cast.

It might have something to do with the movie industry still struggling to find its most profitable path in the current environment.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Spectacular. Loved every minute of it.

The original for all its flaws presented a great story. This one looks better, the story is told better.

Wow.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Spectacular. Loved every minute of it.

The original for all its flaws presented a great story. This one looks better, the story is told better.

Wow.
As a fan of both the original movie and book I miss the inner monologue. Also I feel like some of the emotional range shown by Paul is inconsistent with his character(but much better than it was in the SyFy mini-series).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As a fan of both the original movie and book I miss the inner monologue. Also I feel like some of the emotional range shown by Paul is inconsistent with his character(but much better than it was in the SyFy mini-series).
I mean, the inner monologue told you what he's thinking sure, but this movie showed it more.

I haven't read the books (yet). Loved the original for all its flaws.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. It doesn't have the widespread popularity that other major properties have.

2. Warner Brothers seems to be kind of a mess in a lot of areas.

I thought it was visually stunning. I haven't read the books but it supposedly is closer.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Saw it in Imax today, loved it. I can understand if some are put off by it, but I'm absolutely in love with anything Denis Villeneuve puts out and in love with the book series so this was completely up my alley. Can't wait to see it again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, concerns that they distort characters and characteristics of Paul in this one? How was that handled? Were Guerney Halleck and Duncan Idaho weirdly juxtaposed, as in the trailer? Did they force the character of Paul into the too-weak, not ready boy that needs to become a man, VERY unlike the book, which was portrayed in the trailer? Inquiring minds want to know before...well, it's free, so I'll probably watch it anyway lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So, concerns that they distort characters and characteristics of Paul in this one? How was that handled? Were Guerney Halleck and Duncan Idaho weirdly juxtaposed, as in the trailer? Did they force the character of Paul into the too-weak, not ready boy that needs to become a man, VERY unlike the book, which was portrayed in the trailer? Inquiring minds want to know before...well, it's free, so I'll probably watch it anyway lol
I think I would have had to read the book to answer.

Duncan Idaho was featured a lot more than the Lynch version.

Yes they played the not quite ready Paul storyline, but by the end he's becoming a bad ass. There were some differences in the story to the Lynch version, but from what I've heard, its overall closer to the book.

I legit thought it was one of the best Sci Fi I've seen in a looooooong time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Saw it in Imax today, loved it. I can understand if some are put off by it, but I'm absolutely in love with anything Denis Villeneuve puts out and in love with the book series so this was completely up my alley. Can't wait to see it again.
I was saying to my girlfriend that this movie was better than any Star Wars movie. I hope they make more than just the first book.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose