Dune: Part One (2021)(HBO Max/theaters)

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Am I the only one excited about this movie? Loved the books when I was a kid, was kind of meh on the original theatre release in 1984, but this new version looks epic.

Cast:
• Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
• Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica
• Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
• Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
• Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
• Dave Bautista as Glossu Rabban
• Stephen McKinley Henderson as Thufir Hawat
• Zendaya as Chani
• David Dastmalchian as Piter De Vries
• Chang Chen as Dr. Wellington Yueh
• Sharon Duncan-Brewster as Dr. Liet-Kynes
• Charlotte Rampling as Gaius Helen Mohiam
• Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho
• Javier Bardem as Stilgar

New Trailer:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm apprehensive on it. I really want it to be a good movie. I like Villeneuve a lot as a director so that's a plus. There's just little faith on my part right now for Hollywood to make an adaptation of an existing property and stay true to it. Hopefully they do with it and it succeeds so that they can do the additional movies or a TV show to finish off the material.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dune: Director Explains Why His Adaptation Will Be Split Across Two Movies​

Denis Villeneuve has said that his Dune adaptation will be split into two movies because the world of Frank Herbert's seminal sci-fi novel is "too complex" to fit into a single feature film.

"I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie," Villeneuve told Vanity Fair. "The world is too complex. It's a world that takes its power in details."

-----------------------------

I really hope that Part One does well because the second film has not been greenlit yet and the studio is waiting to see how the first film does before moving forward with Part Two.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The director was not pleased when it was originally announced that Dune would also be released on the HBO Max platform...

‘Dune’ Director Denis Villeneuve Blasts HBO Max Deal​

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The director was not pleased when it was originally announced that Dune would also be released on the HBO Max platform...

‘Dune’ Director Denis Villeneuve Blasts HBO Max Deal​

Welp, he was wrong about the pandemic being over by the Fall. Wonder if he’s cool delaying release by another year to keep his artistic integrity of cinema in a communal viewing vehicle?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, he was wrong about the pandemic being over by the Fall. Wonder if he’s cool delaying release by another year to keep his artistic integrity of cinema in a communal viewing vehicle?
Directors and theater chains may have to face reality that things are not getting back to normal in the foreseeable future. Not a single movie has come close to breaking 200 million. I have been a couple times and I admit, this guy having a coughing attack in the back of the theater has made me hesitant to return but I will since I am vaccinated. Both times the theater was maybe a third full, if that, to boot. The wife and I have friends that still refuse to go.

If you are a studio, you will get more people in front of the film simultaneously releasing it in the theater and streaming until things get back to normal. It sucks because I love the theater experience but things are not looking good in terms of getting back to normal in theaters. You can't force people back to them either. It likely won't work.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Directors and theater chains may have to face reality that things are not getting back to normal in the foreseeable future. Not a single movie has come close to breaking 200 million. I have been a couple times and I admit, this guy having a coughing attack in the back of the theater has made me hesitant to return but I will since I am vaccinated. Both times the theater was maybe a third full, if that, to boot. The wife and I have friends that still refuse to go.

If you are a studio, you will get more people in front of the film simultaneously releasing it in the theater and streaming until things get back to normal. It sucks because I love the theater experience but things are not looking good in terms of getting back to normal in theaters. You can't force people back to them either. It likely won't work.

To be fair, they haven't really released a good movie either. All we've really gotten are bad sequels and a too late franchise movie. Black Window should have done that but it was a dud. The national organization of theater owners blasted Disney the other other day of the way it was handled for the underperformance.* It's starting to look like it's going to be the MCU's Solo.

Godzilla vs Kong actually didn't do horribly. Domestically it was only $10m less than King of the Monsters. Internationally it comparatively crushed it doing $362m, about $90m more than KotM.` The studio has to consider that a success with it only having a $155m budget. Plus it also made whatever part of HBO+ it gets credit for.

Personally, I haven't been going to the theater for years since I have better home theater experience. I normally wait for the UHD before seeing a movie. I had always been on the "let's get simultaneous releases" bandwagon but not any more. Godzilla vs Kong killed that for me. The streaming quality was so bad compared to what the theaters and UHD got that I'm gun shy on it now. A few of the new releases, like Nobody, I waited for disc.

Surprisingly, the one movie since Godzilla that I did steam was Black Widow. The graphs that the guys put out showed it to actually be decent quality and watching it the PQ and AQ was great. It's really surprising since even the UHD discs the last few years from Disney sucked for audio. They're usually filtered at 30 Hz (BW wasn't) and they've known as having Atmouse because they hardcode the heights to either 2 or 4 channels instead of leaving them object based. So I'm hoping Disney might be turning the corner on that stuff.

*https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/19/mov...g-black-widow-in-theaters-and-streaming-.html
`https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/...the-Monsters-(2019)#tab=day_by_day_comparison

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is true, but they did keep the biggest of the biggies off the schedule. Even F9, you’re looking at a decent haul of 163 million and counting domestic. F8 barely scratched 200 domestic. Without the Rock and Brian (forgot the guy who died’s name), the series was bound to start suffering from the law of diminishing returns.

Widow just felt like yesterday’s news. It probably makes another 40 million than it would have as is, but I would have been STUNNED if it made over 300 domestic.

Quiet Place 2 probably makes a little more too, but not much more than the original.

biggest test will be Holidays time. The final Craig Bond and new Spider-Man and Top Gun 2 will be the better test of if the box office is really going to come back. If none of those break 200 million domestic, that ain’t good.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
this is true, but they did keep the biggest of the biggies off the schedule. Even F9, you’re looking at a decent haul of 163 million and counting domestic. F8 barely scratched 200 domestic. Without the Rock and Brian (forgot the guy who died’s name), the series was bound to start suffering from the law of diminishing returns.

Widow just felt like yesterday’s news. It probably makes another 40 million than it would have as is, but I would have been STUNNED if it made over 300 domestic.

Quiet Place 2 probably makes a little more too, but not much more than the original.

biggest test will be Holidays time. The final Craig Bond and new Spider-Man and Top Gun 2 will be the better test of if the box office is really going to come back. If none of those break 200 million domestic, that ain’t good.
Add Ghostbuster to the list as a possibility too. It was getting good buzz off of its trailer. Those four are probably the only ones with a chance and it'll depend on how covid goes between now and then. The rest of the release lineup for the year is pretty weak.

After last weekend I don't think BW gets another $40m unless they drag it out in the theaters. It dropped another 55% this weekend and only did $11.6m. It's probably going to end up in the $175-180 range.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add Ghostbuster to the list as a possibility too. It was getting good buzz off of its trailer. Those four are probably the only ones with a chance and it'll depend on how covid goes between now and then. The rest of the release lineup for the year is pretty weak.

After last weekend I don't think BW gets another $40m unless they drag it out in the theaters. It dropped another 55% this weekend and only did $11.6m. It's probably going to end up in the $175-180 range.

I doubt Ghostbusters breaks 120. I think that brand just doesn’t have a lot of value at this point because of the 2016 reboot and the fact that it’s not going the Force Awakens route making the old guys major characters who are handing off to the younger generation. The old guys are supppsed to make appearances but not to the extent Harrison Ford and Fisher did in Awakens.

And agree on Widow. It ain’t getting to 200. That said, Disney showed it made 60 million opening weekend on streaming. And after all this time, an opening weekend of 140 million combined sounds about right if it were comparable to normal times.

what I think is happening is that 75% of diehard movie fans are going opening weekend to the biggies (F9, Widow) but after that first rush, there’s still a ton of people hesistant to go to the theaters so whatever movies would have legs, pretty much have none at this point, unless they’re really good... like Quiet Place 2 had decent legs before it jumped to Paramount Plus.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I doubt Ghostbusters breaks 120. I think that brand just doesn’t have a lot of value at this point because of the 2016 reboot and the fact that it’s not going the Force Awakens route making the old guys major characters who are handing off to the younger generation. The old guys are supppsed to make appearances but not to the extent Harrison Ford and Fisher did in Awakens.

And agree on Widow. It ain’t getting to 200. That said, Disney showed it made 60 million opening weekend on streaming. And after all this time, an opening weekend of 140 million combined sounds about right if it were comparable to normal times.

what I think is happening is that 75% of diehard movie fans are going opening weekend to the biggies (F9, Widow) but after that first rush, there’s still a ton of people hesistant to go to the theaters so whatever movies would have legs, pretty much have none at this point, unless they’re really good... like Quiet Place 2 had decent legs before it jumped to Paramount Plus.
I'm looking at Ghostbuster as a wildcard. It might do what you're saying due to how bad 2016 hurt the franchise. I think there might still be enough goodwill from the first 2 though that if it's a good and fun movie then it might over perform. I can really see it going either way.

I think you're right about opening weekend getting the diehards too. But what this also shows I think is the quality of the movies, or at least how much the audience is liking them. Word of mouth from that 75% isn't drawing people in nor are we seeing a large amount of repeat viewings like what drove movies like Endgame to its huge box office number.

Personally, I'm starting to really get sick of everything being a sequel or remake. I want some fresh and creative stuff to come out. There's too much paint by numbers now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

An unintended consequence for this might be that we start seeing more independent originals instead of huge tentpole movies because the profit margin is lower than it used to be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An unintended consequence for this might be that we start seeing more independent originals instead of huge tentpole movies because the profit margin is lower than it used to be.

I hope so, but my fear is the little movies make literally next to nothing and are relegated to the streaming platforms of the world forever. but I would love to see a comeback of the mid-budget major... the 20-40 million dollar adult movies that seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. The diehards are going early and the casuals have not returned. Even Quiet Place 2, which I watched in the theater with the wife, I knew multiple people who were going to wait until it hit streaming. They had no intention of seeing it in the theater. That's the movie I mentioned earlier where we had the guy hacking a lung. I swear I almost stood up and said..."this is supposed to be the Quiet Place". :D

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I hope so, but my fear is the little movies make literally next to nothing and are relegated to the streaming platforms of the world forever. but I would love to see a comeback of the mid-budget major... the 20-40 million dollar adult movies that seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
I've been hoping that Joker might have helped with this. A $55m R rated moving bringing in over a billion at the box office had to have caught the eye of an executive or two. I'm hoping we see more of that with the big blockbusters starting to struggle.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
On the Dune topic, my friend, an avid Dune fan, thinks it will be an abomination of the actual story even though it may end up being a good "movie." Said they're very much focusing on an overall existential arc he just didn't have, that certain characters are depicted as exact polar opposites in the trailer to what they really were, and...well, I haven't seen the trailer yet, and haven't read the book in forever, but Fremen mechs?

I trust him a lot on movies. Can someone address these issues/have thoughts about them?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been hoping that Joker might have helped with this. A $55m R rated moving bringing in over a billion at the box office had to have caught the eye of an executive or two. I'm hoping we see more of that with the big blockbusters starting to struggle.

that was still a MAJOR DC property.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The budget for Old was only $18 million. (Self-financed by M. Night) Almost immediately profitable even with reduced theater numbers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The budget for Old was only $18 million. (Self-financed by M. Night) Almost immediately profitable even with reduced theater numbers.

M. Night is one of the only directors who routinely gets to make these type of movies. And that’s because he’s proven himself after self financing The Visit, which brought him back from the dead.

no pun intended.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put this movie right into my veins! Loooooove the Dune books and I'll take anything I can get. I still would have preferred a GOT type of treatment from HBO or AMC maybe, but this will have to do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose