Duane Washington Jr. signs a two-way contract with the Suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he plays. He knows he has to produce to get more than the 2 way contract that often means the primary focus is scoring which he does attempt to do a lot but Monty is going to need him to run his offense to backup CP and Payne (maybe replace Payne...no Monty would never). He's not getting Booker's minutes. So will Monty let him build his brand to get paid? Or will Washington take it whenever he gets the chance? This is not a player who is receiving repeated trade requests so he kind of knows he'll have a spot somewhere else when his tenure is done. Monty certainly didn't do it for more deserving players. The only change to this team was replacing McGee, a center. The other potions are locked, thats a 9-10 players locked. And you got 4 guys all in the main postions getting paid a minimum of $20 mil. CamJ is a lock. Jae & Saric locks, they make it 6 locks paid at least $10 mil...then you got Shamet, 7 now folks at $10 mil, whom Monty going to get his money worth out of. Player #8, 9 (2 $5 mil players) and 10 ($3 mil player) are all ahead of Washington, the know coach system. Please Monty don't play Washington a extra extreme small ball center.

I think Washington is mostly roster insurance at guard if the Suns do a multiplayer trade, not that I don't think he can play if given an opportunity.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he plays. He knows he has to produce to get more than the 2 way contract that often means the primary focus is scoring which he does attempt to do a lot but Monty is going to need him to run his offense to backup CP and Payne (maybe replace Payne...no Monty would never). He's not getting Booker's minutes. So will Monty let him build his brand to get paid? Or will Washington take it whenever he gets the chance? This is not a player who is receiving repeated trade requests so he kind of knows he'll have a spot somewhere else when his tenure is done. Monty certainly didn't do it for more deserving players. The only change to this team was replacing McGee, a center. The other potions are locked, thats a 9-10 players locked. And you got 4 guys all in the main postions getting paid a minimum of $20 mil. CamJ is a lock. Jae & Saric locks, they make it 6 locks paid at least $10 mil...then you got Shamet, 7 now folks at $10 mil, whom Monty going to get his money worth out of. Player #8, 9 (2 $5 mil players) and 10 ($3 mil player) are all ahead of Washington, the know coach system. Please Monty don't play Washington a extra extreme small ball center.

I think we'll see more Shamet at PG than Washington. He looked good in the Dallas series when used there. Maybe that was an outlier but I'd like to see more of that next season. It can give us a lot of size in the backcourt. We'll see.

Washington will have plenty of time to catch on but he's definitely behind the others when it comes to experience with Monty but if he works hard, he could see time. Monty used Elfrid too much last season so he does give people opportunities.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Payton is 28 & been in the league for 8 years who was on a contract. Payton playing was to be expected. 2 way players don't play over contract players & high end paid contract players don't get treated like insurance policy 2 way players

The The only way Washington gets time is because he's a Monty type player where something about you I have a fetish for...or his back story of his dad, his uncle and knowing Booker is the headliner. Its not about just working hard. Monty got to have space to play him and being in win mode again for the 3rd year in a row leaves Monty with going with what he knows will work....certainly he's not playing a 2 way over one of his main core & Monty don't rest starters. He can't take a chance losing to a bottom feeder team.

I am not referring to how good a player Washington is, I just going on how Monty plays his players. Washington got to beat Biz out for time, he's the only more prominent player seeing more minutes. 9 other players are one more year experienced, one more year hungrier and know more about how to win. No matter how good he is contractly a low level player waiting for a spot to open.

Grandma used to say believe people when they show you who they are the first time. Don't deny what you see....you will live a more stress free and happier life and won't waste time. Monty for good or bad is not flexible at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton is 28 & been in the league for 8 years who was on a contract. Payton playing was to be expected. 2 way players don't play over contract players & high end paid contract players don't get treated like insurance policy 2 way players

The The only way Washington gets time is because he's a Monty type player where something about you I have a fetish for...or his back story of his dad, his uncle and knowing Booker is the headliner. Its not about just working hard. Monty got to have space to play him and being in win mode again for the 3rd year in a row leaves Monty with going with what he knows will work....certainly he's not playing a 2 way over one of his main core & Monty don't rest starters. He can't take a chance losing to a bottom feeder team.

I am not referring to how good a player Washington is, I just going on how Monty plays his players. Washington got to beat Biz out for time, he's the only more prominent player seeing more minutes. 9 other players are one more year experienced, one more year hungrier and know more about how to win. No matter how good he is contractly a low level player waiting for a spot to open.

Grandma used to say believe people when they show you who they are the first time. Don't deny what you see....you will live a more stress free and happier life and won't waste time. Monty for good or bad is not flexible at all.

I think we may be looking at the roster differently. You seem to be looking at it now, where I tend to anticipate future moves. I don't think it is a finished product.

For example, I don't think Washington is competing with Biyombo or really anyone else at the moment because he is on a two-way contract. Washington and Biyombo play different positions and Bismack is on the standard roster.

Perhaps you are looking at the roster as a whole?

If the Suns do a major trade, such as for Durant, they will likely have more outgoing players than incoming players. This is where Washington and/or Wainright may get an opportunity to play.

At the moment, Payne and perhaps Shamet will be handling backup point guard duties. Shamet is not really a point guard, but he can play there some.

At least we don't have to worry about Payton because he is no longer on the Suns roster.

Btw, I like your Grandma's quote. It is often true. Monty needs to be more flexible.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at now. You can't miss what you can't measure Grandma said too. So you can count on something you don't have yet. If the roster opens up, Monty may have no choice. But did KD sign up to play with 2 converted 2 ways or that strong core he doesn't have to bsbysit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at now. You can't miss what you can't measure Grandma said too. So you can count on something you don't have yet. If the roster opens up, Monty may have no choice. But did KD sign up to play with 2 converted 2 ways or that strong core he doesn't have to bsbysit.

Your Grandma is pretty cool.

I'm pretty confident the Suns will make some roster changes even if they don't land Durant. Those two-way contract players might move up to fill-in the tail end of the roster. So we are talking about spots like 13-15.

The Suns do still have an open roster spot and they have MLE to add a player.

I think they will look to add another playmaker/shooter and someone at the PF position to strengthen the roster via trade if they don't get Durant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the PHNX podcast today they aired about a 19 minute interview with Duane Washington Jr.

It starts at about the 37:00 minute mark.

Some great stuff as he talks about his uncle Derek Fisher, "Uncle Kobe" and Devin Booker among other things.

He has a great personality and should be a solid addition to the team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping he is a good pick-up. But then I liked the Holliday trade too.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think Washington has a good chance of being a nice scoring point guard in the NBA.

Of course, I felt Holiday could play this role too. Washington is about 3 inches taller, so he can play some shooting guard or combo guard as well. This increases his chances of making it in the NBA.