Duane Washington Jr. signs a two-way contract with the Suns

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol

The suns obviously disagree with you since they didn’t sign him to a regular contract.
LOL. The Suns only have two two ways and the exemption to deal with, over the cap and now in luxury tax territory. What did you think they were going to do with a backup coming off his rookie year?

Plus, disagree with what? I said he can compete for the job because statistically they are similar. I didn't say he was a shoe in to take it or anything else. I just posted factual stats. You think they brought him in because they have total confidence in Payne being "Far Better"? LOL. No, they likely brought him in to either compete for the job or as insurance should Payne suck again.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payne can get frustrated when opponents take away the drive to the basket.

He needs to figure out some other shots to supplement the 3-pointer.

I think he plays better with a guy like Frank or Saric than McGee, someone who can keep the lane clear and is more of a threat to pick and pop. McGee's departure will probably help Payne's shooting numbers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he plays better with a guy like Frank or Saric than McGee, someone who can keep the lane clear and is more of a threat to pick and pop. McGee's departure will probably help Payne's shooting numbers.

Agree. I was hoping the Suns would find a way to bring Kaminsky back.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I was hoping the Suns would find a way to bring Kaminsky back.

I was too, I think he was a real glue guy for the team. Active in all the huddles, was a real presence, even in street clothes.

His knee might be shot though after 2 years of stress fractures.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was too, I think he was a real glue guy for the team. Active in all the huddles, was a real presence, even in street clothes.

The knee issue would be a concern. With Saric coming off a knee injury as well, the Suns probably didn't want to take the added risk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He signed with Atlanta. Not that that's an indication he'll be able to stay healthy but he will have a shot somewhere.

I wonder if the Suns past because of his knees or some other reason. He just signed for the minimum so it's not like cash was an issue.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He signed with Atlanta. Not that that's an indication he'll be able to stay healthy but he will have a shot somewhere.

I wonder if the Suns past because of his knees or some other reason. He just signed for the minimum so it's not like cash was an issue.

Like Mainstreet said, having two guys coming off major knee injuries at the same position is risky.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Everybody asking if Monty will give him a chance but the Suns aren't in a position to give players chances. They're competing for a championship. A player has to earn minutes and if they can't earn minutes then it's on them. I'm not going to blame Monty for not playing some raw kid who isn't very good. It makes sense to go with who has proven themselves already.

We also don't see practices. So no one here can say for certain that Washington is a better option than Payne, for example. Seeing Washington do something in garbage minutes isn't an indicator he'll be capable of doing that when minutes matter and teams are competing at their peak.

I'm not saying I hope this kid doesn't pan out. I hope he's a legit player who can lighten the load for others on the team but I'm not going to fault Monty if he doesn't cut it either.
Monty wouldn't take a chance on the least valued position. If we follow Monty's logic, there's no way he gives him time to the most important one especially if Monty is still looking to win and 9-10 established rotational players deep. That says nothing about the actual talent. If this kid had other offers and still chose the Suns at this stage in his career, he must really believe he is the exception to the rule...or this was the best offer he had. So I hope fans don't penalize him for things he can't control.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In comparing Cam Payne to Duane Washington Jr. in regard to assists, one should look at the assist to turnover ratio.

Payne was clearly better in this regard,

In 2022 Payne had 4.9 assists to 1.8 turnovers.

Washington Jr. had 1.8 assists to 1.2 turnovers.
I was looking at that, but arguably Cam had better scorers to give the ball to also. Would like to see Washington's numbers playing with our guys.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at that, but arguably Cam had better scorers to give the ball to also. Would like to see Washington's numbers playing with our guys.

I'm simply happy the Suns are looking to develop a young point guard.

Hopefully he will be another find like Cam Payne.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No kd ehhhhhh

However decent roll of the dice on a young tall pg 420 gl toke on him playing out his contract at a good lvl:)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again. I just don't see anything in him.
He gives us some toughness and the ability to occasionally knock down the three. Considering he's backing up the guys that are outside the rotation, I don't think you can expect much more.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's a slower Torrey Craig. Perhaps he's bulkier and stronger but I don't see him as being a rotation player.

I'd have preferred they went into camp with a Two-Way spot available instead of using it now on Ish. Thankfully it's just a Two-Way deal though so he shouldn't be counted on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns seemed intent on keeping Ish on the team in some capacity. Monty must really like him, so he must be a hard worker and a good chemistry player.

I'm just glad it's on a two-way contract and nothing more. However, if the Suns have a vacancy later in the season, I can see him making the 15-man roster again.

I was hoping Olivier Sarr or someone else might get the other two-way spot.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the Suns lock Ish up now. What if he does do what everybody expects him to do. Loyalty or really liking something only takes you so far. Somebody else will see & offer him more. 2 ways back to back when I've proven I can play don't sit well with me. The Suns should have given him a multi year league min contract. I mean being as though Monty likes him and he's a hard worker and all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a good defensive player, who has also developed a pretty good 3.

Also he got better as the season went on.

I really think he can give you just about everything Crowder does.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the Suns lock Ish up now. What if he does do what everybody expects him to do. Loyalty or really liking something only takes you so far. Somebody else will see & offer him more. 2 ways back to back when I've proven I can play don't sit well with me. The Suns should have given him a multi year league min contract. I mean being as though Monty likes him and he's a hard worker and all.
He’s not some young guy who is likely to develop into much more than he is already. Him being available for a two way this late in offseason says two way contract is right call.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In comparing Cam Payne to Duane Washington Jr. in regard to assists, one should look at the assist to turnover ratio.

Payne was clearly better in this regard,

In 2022 Payne had 4.9 assists to 1.8 turnovers.

Washington Jr. had 1.8 assists to 1.2 turnovers.
Assists are often dependent upon the offense, and the offensive abilities of teammates. I fully believe Washington would get more assists here. Not saying he is better, just doubting that stat is reflective of reality.

Washington did get 20 mins a game with the Pacers, so he actually has true NBA experience under his belt.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
He didn't have many assists was not due to his teammates. He often backed (and played beside) Hali up who averaged 10 assists (which was up since he left SAC) playing with the same teammates. The Pacers played with a different lineup every night since the trade deadline which would be the last 28 games (which includes his last 16 are often spoke on).

He didn't have many assists because he's a scoring guard. He's more like Booker than CP3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assists are often dependent upon the offense, and the offensive abilities of teammates. I fully believe Washington would get more assists here. Not saying he is better, just doubting that stat is reflective of reality.

Washington did get 20 mins a game with the Pacers, so he actually has true NBA experience under his belt.

I was responding to a comment that Washington Jr. is more efficient and turns the ball over less than Cam Payne.

One has to look at the assist to turnover ratio to get the proper perspective.

I'm excited about his potential especially on a two-way contract.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he plays. He knows he has to produce to get more than the 2 way contract that often means the primary focus is scoring which he does attempt to do a lot but Monty is going to need him to run his offense to backup CP and Payne (maybe replace Payne...no Monty would never). He's not getting Booker's minutes. So will Monty let him build his brand to get paid? Or will Washington take it whenever he gets the chance? This is not a player who is receiving repeated trade requests so he kind of knows he'll have a spot somewhere else when his tenure is done. Monty certainly didn't do it for more deserving players. The only change to this team was replacing McGee, a center. The other potions are locked, thats a 9-10 players locked. And you got 4 guys all in the main postions getting paid a minimum of $20 mil. CamJ is a lock. Jae & Saric locks, they make it 6 locks paid at least $10 mil...then you got Shamet, 7 now folks at $10 mil, whom Monty going to get his money worth out of. Player #8, 9 (2 $5 mil players) and 10 ($3 mil player) are all ahead of Washington, the know coach system. Please Monty don't play Washington a extra extreme small ball center.

Last edited: