Drew Brees Question

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
If he doesnt sign the franchise tag, and holds out can he still be tagged again. Or will he be a free agent?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If he doesnt sign the franchise tag, and holds out can he still be tagged again. Or will he be a free agent?

Can't we sign him and give up 2 firsts to get him? If so, I call him right now and offer to make him the highest paid QB in history on a long-term deal, because he is worth it and does NOT want to settle for a franchise 1-yr deal.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Can't we sign him and give up 2 firsts to get him? If so, I call him right now and offer to make him the highest paid QB in history on a long-term deal, because he is worth it and does NOT want to settle for a franchise 1-yr deal.
I'm all in.

but we should of did this before Kolb bonus.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Nope. He got the exclusive tag which means Brees cannot negotiate with anyone else. Unless they remove the tag, Brees is Taints property.

OP
OP
thephoenixson28

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
They gave him the exclusive tag so he cant go nowhere. But they said he is livid and wont sign the franchise tag.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More likely is that he plays this year refuses to sign long term with the Saints and could be a FA next year. Then we get to go through this all over again.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
More likely is that he plays this year refuses to sign long term with the Saints and could be a FA next year. Then we get to go through this all over again.

Lol... Not again.

For Brees? Ok.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He'll get tagged next year as well if he doesn't sign a long term deal. Earliest he'd be available is in 2014.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah this is a mess with brees. the saints better figure this out though, because brees signed the tender in SD already in the past and he walked away from them scott free. that left a bad taste in his mouth because he has made mention of not doing it again.

now that was different because they had rivers that they obviously wanted to be their starter anyway and had no interest in an injured brees. but the saints have nothing without brees, who is clearly a top 3 qb in the NFL, and i feel like if they don't work him a deal soon he is going to walk on the first opportunity. he is probably enjoying watching peyton and is taking notes thinking that this time there are no questions about my ability. the interesting thing about brees is he apparantly has no interest in signing the tender based on his latest comments. I wonder if he will hold out...I don't think brees has any intention of playing football again until he has a real contract.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He'll get tagged next year as well if he doesn't sign a long term deal. Earliest he'd be available is in 2014.
I wonder if he will hold out until then or force his way out somehow...I don't think brees plays another down until he has his contract that he wants.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he will hold out until then or force his way out somehow...I don't think brees plays another down until he has his contract that he wants.

Agree. The Saints are really screwing this up. They should have given him a contract. Now all Brees has to do is wait until Manning signs with a team and Matt Flynn signs and that will set the upper and lower bars of a huge contract.

TJ

Reaction score
Agree. The Saints are really screwing this up. They should have given him a contract. Now all Brees has to do is wait until Manning signs with a team and Matt Flynn signs and that will set the upper and lower bars of a huge contract.

The Saints already offered Brees a contract which would have made him the highest paid player in NFL history, and he declined it. Then, Brees publicly complained about being franchised. As if the organization had any other options at that point.

Brees was also extremely vocal during the lockout.

I'm not sure how much I blame the Saints in these contract negotiations. I think Brees' perceived do-no-wrong personality is overrated and he's kind of a jerk.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Saints already offered Brees a contract which would have made him the highest paid player in NFL history, and he declined it. Then, Brees publicly complained about being franchised. As if the organization had any other options at that point.

Brees was also extremely vocal during the lockout.

I'm not sure how much I blame the Saints in these contract negotiations. I think Brees' perceived do-no-wrong personality is overrated and he's kind of a jerk.
where did you hear this? I never heard that? the key part of that deal would be the terms. drew brees probably wants 100 million with most, if not all guaranteed money. guaranteed money being the key term. I would think the richest deal in NFL history wouldn't mean anything to him unless most of the money was guaranteed.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
well I agree with you, the price is definitely going up

Lorenzo

Reaction score
"Moving the Chains" on Sirius NFL Radio.
was it a huge guaranteed deal? Drew probably wants the richest guaranteed contract in the history of football. and I can't say I don't blame him. if that makes him a jerk so be it. he deserves to be the NFL's highest paid player if you ask me. either he or tom brady, but tom isn't due a contract.

TJ

Reaction score
was it a huge guaranteed deal? Drew probably wants the richest guaranteed contract in the history of football. and I can't say I don't blame him. if that makes him a jerk so be it. he deserves to be the NFL's highest paid player if you ask me. either he or tom brady, but tom isn't due a contract.

They reported it was huge guaranteed $$$ (no numbers) and the overall total would have made him the highest paid player in league history.

I agree that he should be the highest paid player and guaranteed $$$ is a motivating factor. I have a difficult time believing the organization, who has been negotiating with the Brees camp for quite some time now, would short change him seeing how much he means to the team and the city of New Orleans.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They reported it was huge guaranteed $$$ (no numbers) and the overall total would have made him the highest paid player in league history.

I agree that he should be the highest paid player and guaranteed $$$ is a motivating factor. I have a difficult time believing the organization, who has been negotiating with the Brees camp for quite some time now, would short change him seeing how much he means to the team and the city of New Orleans.
I agree, it would be strange considering what he has done for that franchise. I don't know then...I guess we have to wait and see. I don't see why the saints then aren't standing up for themselves in the press(for their fans sake). because the last interview I heard from brees on ESPN sounded bad.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

No way. He has a ton of money, and has talked about how he was almost out of football because of one injury. I think he's paranoid about being hurt so bad he doesn't get a long-term contract and will sit out instead.

No way, IMO. He will either sit out or sign a long-term contract, IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson