Drake 4th in the NFL in Rushing Yards After 6 Weeks

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by LoyaltyisaCurse, Oct 21, 2020.

1. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

I was done with Drake after the first quarter, but by the end of the game he proved me wrong. As many have noted he finally started running north and south instead of east and west...And for whatever reason he really does get better as the game goes on.

I expect him to continue being the feature back in this offense, even if that reason is because we are paying him a lot of money for 1 year and want to preserve Edmonds body for many more carries that will be coming his way in 2021.

2. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

This so true. "If you take away this run and that run and if the other guy would have shed that tackle..." We deal in reality, not what if? If my aunt had a pen!$ she would be my uncle. :rolleyes:

Zeem_Freeze likes this.
  3. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

We all know how I feel about Drake.

But, I'm sorry, you don't get brownie points for production when the game is put away. Simply enough, we can't count on Kenyan to produce until the opposition has given up, or he breaks a long one. The good runningbacks in the NFL have value when they're part of something but a blowout win.

Drake's YPC has been pathetic this year until that run, and we have 4 games out of 14 with the Cards where the guy has managed to break 100 yards. He's not good, and he's not a factor in important games. Can any of you really bring up a time that Drake was the reason we won a game?

Sure, long runs count, but when your RB can only break runs when the rest of the team is dominating, they don't count all that much. He's a mediocre back, whose production could be replicated by plenty of other cheap options.

oaken1 likes this.
  4. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

He had 19 carries for 95 yards before the long run, so he had a good game anyway. His addition last season changed our offense for the better. He certainly won us that 9er game last year as well. No one is calling him HOF, but he is a top 10 RB in this league for this team.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  5. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

i dont really get the "he is only good in the 4th quarter" thing. Bickley was harping on that too.

I think every back gets better as the game goes on, especially if their team is ahead and feeds them. Defenses -- especially those that are suspect against the run -- can usually clamp down on carries 1-10 in a game. It is carries 11-20 where the yards show up.

6. Cards_Campos

Cards_Campos Registered

My fault. Yes. But probably only deserved 3. lol. We interfered

7. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

4th quarter is where you want your back to at their best...

8. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I'm sure others noticed but on MNF the announcers actually said they would not be surprised if Edmonds eventually becomes the #1 RB. That was said in last weeks game too.

I don't think that's an accident, clearly people on the Cards staff have sensed Drake was not running hard and so they sent a message to him by telling people who they knew would say it on tv, he could lose his job

9. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Yep, Drake was having maybe his best game of the season up until that run.

Again @Solar7 it's a silly exercise to remove plays. I doubt Dallas wanted to let him score there. He made a great cut, the blocking was perfect, and he beat 11 men to the end zone.

I don't think the Cardinals should resign Drake though. He will want more than they should pay. Draft a stud, sign a solid veteran, and platoon with Edmonds.

10. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

It's all about monitoring consistency. Maybe I'm a little too embroiled in fantasy football sometimes, but I want someone making plays that are replicable.

Running for a sub 4.0 YPC with little receiving action is unacceptable for a guy getting paid like he is. Dallas was a fine game, but I can't support an RB who goes off once every 6 games or so, but is a non-factor otherwise.

11. Krangthebrain

He's not a "non factor". He was still basically on pace for a 1000 yards. After a reasonably good, not outlandish game, he is now 4th in rushing.

12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

it was the best game of his career tied with last year against the Seahawks (164 Sunday/166 Seahawks) Throughout the rest of his entire career, he’s never gotten with 40 yards of his game last week. I’d call that outlandish.

thus is what I hate when people hyperbolize even in moments they don’t have to.

drake has been ok for the most part of the season and just came off one of his best games ever. Why not just say let’s hope he gets a little more consistent but is a solid piece of the puzzle right now?

Solar7 likes this.
  13. Krangthebrain

I didn't qualify ANYTHING in my statement other than saying he is 4th in yards.

166 isn't an outlandish rushing total. I could see treating it as an extreme outlier if he ran for Leshon Johnson against the Saints kind of yardage, but 166 is a standard good game.

Furthermore, it's a bit disingenuous to talk about his pre-Cardinals career as an indicator going forward. How often was he the actual lead back? Like none percent of his time there.

And if you read what I said earlier...I want the Cardinals to move on from him after this year. He is a transition player who isn't really worth his salary, but not having him could have been a big issue with Edmonds possible injury concerns.

14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I've said for a while I don't think they intend to resign Drake, or they didn't at least, but that could change. The CJ injury doesn't help, as doesn't his performances before the injury. I thought they might have a plan to draft a RB in 2021 with a fairly high pick. Possibly as high as round 2. But they may well now be thinking they need to prioritize OLB more along with CB.

Personally I would be fine with Edmonds plus a cheap free agent. I can see several FA running backs that will cost significantly less than Drake that are FA next year.

All these guys can replicate what Drake can do IMO considering the passing game isn't a concern.

Tevin Coleman
    Matt Breida
    Jerrick McKinnon
    James Connor
    Marlon Mack
    Mike Davis
    Chris Carson

Some of these are going to cost more than others, Mike Davis for example after the year he is having, but I'd sign any of these over paying Drake more than $7.5m per.

And I like Drake. I advocated picking up when he was at Miami. Always thought he had much more in the tank than the Fins let him show. But a lot of RB's could get yards in this scheme and if he's not going get get 500+ yards with his hands he's replaceable for much less than he seems to think he is worth.

15. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

He's 4th in rushing in a year where premier players are hurt. He's not producing well.

He wasn't the lead back because he's not very good. Edmonds should be the lead back right here, and would be if their contracts were the same.