Draft Week Cardinal Rumors

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything in the history of Alabama football and CBs screams stay away from Surtain... even a few experts are saying they would shy away from him....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon Humphrey has turned out well

Yup and he’s pretty much the ONLY one..... After lots of hype at that position over the years from that program.... Some programs just don’t produce well at certain positions...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup and he’s pretty much the ONLY one..... After lots of hype at that position over the years from that program.... Some programs just don’t produce well at certain positions...
He’s the only one because he’s been the only one selected in the first round the past couple of years lol

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s the only one because he’s been the only one selected in the first round the past couple of years lol

well there ya go their so bad at producing high level CBs they just don’t do it... :) lol several experts all over NFL network from Bucky brooks to Daniel Jeremiah etc.... All say they hesitant grabbing a CB from Alabama. If your ok with it that’s cool 100%. But that position over the history with Alabama causes some pause in some people’s minds.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well there ya go their so bad at producing high level CBs they just don’t do it... :) lol several experts all over NFL network from Bucky brooks to Daniel Jeremiah etc.... All say they hesitant grabbing a CB from Alabama. If your ok with it that’s cool 100%. But that position over the history with Alabama causes some pause in some people’s minds.
What are you talking about lol you’re acting as if Bama has put out a lot of CBs in the 1st round over the past 5 years who have turned out to be busts when in reality the only one they have put out in the past 5 years is a top 3 CB in the league

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about lol you’re acting as if Bama has put out a lot of CBs in the 1st round over the past 5 years who have turned out to be busts when in reality the only one they have put out in the past 5 years is a top 3 CB in the league

It’s pretty clear what I’m talking about. When they have had profile CBs they tend to bust even if it has been several years.... The fact that they don’t get high profile CBs in that program is a sign as well... Just repeating what the “experts” on tv have said the last couple days of watching draft coverage. And saying it’s something to think about. I’m certainly no expert and don’t claim to be... lol

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Furthermore it’s irrelevant he won’t be an option for us

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i find the Waddle betting line movement interesting....

I think it's obvious the Cards don't have much confidence the CB is going to be there and don't want to give up too much to go up to get one since none of them are sure things. So then WR becomes more obvious, or Collins.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s pretty clear what I’m talking about. When they have had profile CBs they tend to bust even if it has been several years.... The fact that they don’t get high profile CBs in that program is a sign as well... Just repeating what the “experts” on tv have said the last couple days of watching draft coverage. And saying it’s something to think about. I’m certainly no expert and don’t claim to be... lol

I totally agree about the Alabama overhype. I just posted on another thread about my hesitancy in taking Alabama players due to the overabundance of talent around them. I think some of the skill positions do OK (i.e. WR & RB) but a lot of other positions bust often. When is the last time a QB from Alabama has been 1st round worthy (Tua still an unknown)? They only look good because of the amount of talent they are surrounded with every year. That's why I hope SF drafts Mac Jones. The odds of him being a bust are high.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I totally agree about the Alabama overhype. I just posted on another thread about my hesitancy in taking Alabama players due to the overabundance of talent around them. I think some of the skill positions do OK (i.e. WR & RB) but a lot of other positions bust often. When is the last time a QB from Alabama has been 1st round worthy (Tua still an unknown)? They only look good because of the amount of talent they are surrounded with every year. That's why I hope SF drafts Mac Jones. The odds of him being a bust are high.
Damn I really still can’t believe people think like this in 2021 lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
a website dedicated to NFL football 24x7: and they pick a 4-3 DE for a team that runs a 3-4
I kinda disagree on this. Paye is more raw, but his build and athletic numbers are better than Markus Golden and Suggs and Trey Flowers among others who have been able to transition to a rush 3/4 OLB. I prefer longer EDGE players like Chandler Jones, but OLBs of Paye's stature with worse atheltic testing numbers have shown to be successful in the NFL.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I kinda disagree on this. Paye is more raw, but his build and athletic numbers are better than Markus Golden and Suggs and Trey Flowers among others who have been able to transition to a rush 3/4 OLB. I prefer longer EDGE players like Chandler Jones, but OLBs of Paye's stature with worse atheltic testing numbers have shown to be successful in the NFL.

my take is that he is built like a 4-3 DE-- 6-4, 275. I think his NFL comp is Brandon Graham of the Eagles. A really good player, but not a OLB.

Also -- he doesnt really drop into coverage at all. not that Card OLBs do it a lot, but they are asked to do it.

i think if the Cards took him, its more likely that they make him a 3-4 DE like Zach Allen

all that said, its not like i make a living at this....

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
cynical take on the Zaven Collins rumors:

Tony Pauline hears the Cards like him.

ROTB amplifies this

Florio repeats this.

Gambo then repeats this.

other media members grab this and run with it --- so that as each media source repeats it, it becomes a self-reinforcing rumor where its now "multiple sources".

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
not Cardinal specific, but relevant:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim's ears just pricked up

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim's ears just pricked up

yeah, I don’t care about the sitting or playing because of Covid thing, I’m just not touching this kid’s back with a ten hundred foot pole.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yeah, I don’t care about the sitting or playing because of Covid thing, I’m just not touching this kid’s back with a ten hundred foot pole.
This obviously changes things for me as well. I, like most "not in the know" were under the assumption that doctors were clearing him. If they think he'll need additional surgeries then his back must be made of glass.