Draft rumors.....around the league edition!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
His minutes went down this year in favor of other players and he is a horrible 3 point shooter. No thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarrett Culver was drafted #6 in the same draft Cam Johnson was selected #11.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarrett Culver was drafted #6 in the same draft Cam Johnson was selected #11.
Not sure you can call him a bust at his age but I remember the buzz was that he could be a top 3 talent by some scouts. I know a couple Sota fans. One loved the pick and the other flipped out because of all the SG they had on the roster already. He was convinced it was a reach at #6.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure you can call him a bust at his age but I remember the buzz was that he could be a top 3 talent by some scouts. I know a couple Sota fans. One loved the pick and the other flipped out because of all the SG they had on the roster already. He was convinced it was a reach at #6.

He was the one projected lottery pick I wanted the Suns to avoid at all costs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Culver's shooting percentages hurt his value in relationship to the salary he is owed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: Spurs looking to move into top 10 of 2021 NBA Draft

Sixers Shopping No. 28 Pick: Possible Trade Targets

This is what I am hoping to hear out of the Suns. Then again, if we don't hear anything maybe that is a good thing. Could be under wraps.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Torrey Craig, maybe the smart move is to sell our pick for cash so we can get another TC midseason?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with that, but how do they fit the salary?

Maybe attach a first round pick to Jevon Carter or Dario Saric for a player? It's hard to see a team trading for Saric though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe attach a first round pick to Jevon Carter or Dario Saric for a player? It's hard to see a team trading for Saric though.
Right...he might not be back next season. I guess they could trade for him and cut him for salary cap relief right?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right...he might not be back next season. I guess they could trade for him and cut him for salary cap relief right?

Both Carter and Saric will likely be back unless the Suns can do a trade.

Saric is eligible for a disabled player exception which is worth about half his yearly salary if that is who you are referring too.

Carter has two more years on his contract for $3,650,000 and $3,925,000.

Saric has two more years as well for $8,510,000 and $9,240,000.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Carter and Saric will likely be back unless the Suns can do a trade.

Saric is eligible for a disabled player exception which is worth about half his yearly salary if that is who you are referring too.

Carter has two more years on his contract for $3,650,000 and $3,925,000.

Saric has two more years as well for $8,510,000 and $9,240,000.
Yes referring to Saric. Another team might take him on with the idea of cutting him to save salary is what I meant. That might make him still appealing for a team trying to shed salary even though he is hurt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes referring to Saric. Another team might take him on with the idea of cutting him to save salary is what I meant. That might make him still appealing for a team trying to shed salary even though he is hurt.

Another team would still have to pay Saric his salary unless insurance picked it up so I don't think it's likely unless they have a bad contract to send back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another team would still have to pay Saric his salary unless insurance picked it up so I don't think it's likely unless they have a bad contract to send back.
I believe it's only a portion that the team is on the hook for. Not sure how that counts against the cap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's only a portion that the team is on the hook for. Not sure how that counts against the cap.

Dario Saric will get paid his full salary by someone whether it's by insurance, the Suns or another team via a trade.

If the Suns want a Disabled Player Exception for half of his yearly salary they can apply to the league office. Saric still gets paid his full salary.

I'm not sure how it counts against the cap.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dario Saric will get paid his full salary by someone whether it's by insurance, the Suns or another team via a trade.

If the Suns want a Disabled Player Exception for half of his yearly salary they can apply to the league office. Saric still gets paid his full salary.

I'm not sure how it counts against the cap.
Yeah, getting is salary is not the issue those are guaranteed in the NBA due to injury and I knew about the exception is the Suns keep him. It's after a trade I was unsure about. My guess is the new team would have to claim the exception and get the 50% cut of that salary against their cap. Likely you are only going to be able to trade with someone who really wants him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, getting is salary is not the issue those are guaranteed in the NBA due to injury and I knew about the exception is the Suns keep him. It's after a trade I was unsure about. My guess is the new team would have to claim the exception and get the 50% cut of that salary against their cap. Likely you are only going to be able to trade with someone who really wants him.

A new team can't get the injury exception. It has to have been with the team that the injury occured. Like when KD went to the Nets a few years ago, they couldn't get a disabled player exception because they knew he wasn't likely to play that first year when they signed him and the injury occurred when he was with another team.

Only the Suns can get the DPE for Dario because the injury happened here and they reasonably expected him to be available this coming season since they had him under contract for the season already. If we get the DPE then he's untradable for the season. If we trade him before filing for that then another team can't apply for it since it happened here and they knew they were getting damaged goods.

The DPE is 50% of his salary and we can use that like a trade exception or the MLE in that we can trade for someone whose salary fits within that or sign someone.

The only time a players salary can be dealt how you're thinking is when its a career ending injury and that's rare. I'm not 100% that's what happens then but it changes things some. Dario's not done forever so its a moot point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose