Draft Rule Change: None and Done?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And they're getting rid of the 1 and done system, returning to the high school prospects jumping to the league. I think it will be more prevalent than before and it'll only damage the quality of play. The 1 and done wasn't a perfect system by any means but it was a start. I wish they had at least tried a 2 year requirement so we could see the effect on the quality of play. Instead it's going the other way, abolishing the restrictions and they won't get that back negotiating any time soon. They should have help off and used that as a bargaining chip in the next CBA negotiation.

i agree. i'd rather go to a higher draft age limit or requiring 2 years of college (rather than 0 years).

increasing the guesswork increases the risk of
1. the worst teams not getting better
2. watering down the draft's goal of achieving more parity.
3. players not succeeding because they're not adequately prepared physically or mentally
4. team's wasting money on flops and passing the costs onto fans

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i agree. i'd rather go to a higher draft age limit or requiring 2 years of college (rather than 0 years).

increasing the guesswork increases the risk of
1. the worst teams not getting better
2. watering down the draft's goal of achieving more parity.
3. players not succeeding because they're not adequately prepared physically or mentally
4. team's wasting money on flops and passing the costs onto fans

The NBA needs to further cultivate the developmental league. IMO they should expand the draft by another round or 2, create a true minor league system to develop talent and erase the stigma highly drafted guys get from playing in. Using the NCAA as a minor league isn't helping anyone and it's making a farce of college basketball.

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The NBA needs to further cultivate the developmental league. IMO they should expand the draft by another round or 2, create a true minor league system to develop talent and erase the stigma highly drafted guys get from playing in. Using the NCAA as a minor league isn't helping anyone and it's making a farce of college basketball.

i see your point. it's complicated.
it's worth contemplating whether college education and
for-profit sports competition should be separated all-together.
but i think the priority for the NBA is to fix what it can now.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I've always thought they should adopt a system similar to baseball.
If you go to college you have to wait 3 years.
Utilize the developmental league for players that are drafted out of high school.
If you're ready to play fine.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they going to allow players to enter the draft without penalty, like MLB does?

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've always thought they should adopt a system similar to baseball.
If you go to college you have to wait 3 years.
Utilize the developmental league for players that are drafted out of high school.
If you're ready to play fine.

I like this as well. The NCAA tournament will still be entertaining, and maybe more so if players stick around for a few years and develop fan identification and rivalries.

Are they going to allow players to enter the draft without penalty, like MLB does?

I think you should be able to enter the draft, and if you don’t get selected, go to college. And do it again the next year if you like. All without penalty.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to enter the draft, and if you don’t get selected, go to college. And do it again the next year if you like. All without penalty.

It would work fine for the NBA but it would be quite the problem for college coaches trying fill their scholarship slots without knowing how many they have.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, baseball does it, why can't the NBA?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dunno
The MLB also has about 30 rounds of picks so there are definitely differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, baseball does it, why can't the NBA?

There are several reasons but the fact is, college baseball is a huge money loser and college basketball is very profitable. Adopting the baseball rules would likely take a bite out of the basketball revenues so they are not likely to mimic the baseball approach. The vast majority of players on a college baseball team aren't even on full scholarship, contrast that with the basketball programs where most players get a full ride. One college basketball star can change everything so leaving the program in limbo can be very disruptive whereas it has little impact on the much larger baseball rosters.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are several reasons but the fact is, college baseball is a huge money loser and college basketball is very profitable. Adopting the baseball rules would likely take a bite out of the basketball revenues so they are not likely to mimic the baseball approach. The vast majority of players on a college baseball team aren't even on full scholarship, contrast that with the basketball programs where most players get a full ride. One college basketball star can change everything so leaving the program in limbo can be very disruptive whereas it has little impact on the much larger baseball rosters.
One and done is an Nba rule not an NCAA one. So why would the NBA care if the NCAA is making money on basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One and done is an Nba rule not an NCAA one. So why would the NBA care if the NCAA is making money on basketball.

It's a two way street. What happens if the NBA says they can go pro at any time? The NCAA will have full control over whether they can go back to school so it won't be solely an NBA decision. Also, the NBA benefits from having the NCAA absorb a lot of the costs of training and turning them into marketable entities so there will need to be cooperation.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I sincerely hope they add contingencies for those who elect for the draft. Otherwise, it takes a chunk of talent out of college basketball. Rumor has it that Adam Silver couldn’t care less about it, so if he had full co trip, he’d just abolish the OAD rule without any contingencies

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just create a 20 years old rule. Let players declare and be drafted whenever they want but they must play in college or Gleague prior to 20 years old.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it looks like the one and done rule will be removed for the 2022 draft, not the 2021 draft, and if that's the case then McD did a good job handling the Miami pick. Makes it look a lot less valuable than before when it was sold as being the first year to allow high school players to enter the draft again.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes! though the "none and done" will be like a "box of chocolates" the value of it will move to 2022

That makes the trade much easier to swallow. It reminds me of them caving to Bledsoe finally and giving him his near max contract and a week later the TV money cap hike became news. It wasn't going into effect for a little while but had Bledsoe's camp known for sure, I believe they would have held out for the full max since that was on the horizon.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like it will happen in 2022 now. Good for that Miami pick (for us).