Draft recap

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1-DJ Humphries - OT - Florida
+Has left tackle feet/athleticism, and a work ethic to maximize them.
-Unpolished technique which is Massie's issue as well. Not a need right now.

2-Markus Golden - OLB - Missouri
+Leader which we need. Physical which has worked in our system.
-Not a great athlete, and I'm not sure I see him running down Wilson or Kaep...ever.

3-David Johnson - RB - Northern Iowa
+Big athlete, who has the other areas needed by RBs down.
-Doesn't run with much power. Finesse player in college.

4-Rodney Gunter - DE - Delaware St.
+I won't pretend to know anything about this guy. Apparently Buckner (d line coach) raved about him the most of any prospect he worked out.
-Campbell, Peters, Redding, Stinson, Rucker, Mauro...I'm just not sure how likely it is that this guy beats one of them out for a roster spot.

5a-Shaquille Riddick - OLB - West Virginia
+Edge, speed guy who had a breakout season this year.
-Is different from any other edge player on our roster, will coach be tolerant?

5b-JJ Nelson - Returner - UAB
+Speed, fills the return need, and can't be softer than Ted Ginn.
-Will be on the weight program, who knows if he keeps his speed.

7-Gerald Christain - TE - Louisville
+Good athlete, more of a H Back
-Doesn't fit Arians mold of TEs. Question of how he will be used.

#########

My feelings of drafts, and probably similar to most, is that I like the ones that match the needs I see, and the prospects I like. This one didn't do that. ILB is a glaring hole which Keim has admitted. That is on him when it goes belly up during the season. CB has zero depth. I don't hate Peterson, Powers and Bethel as our top 3, but after that it is a train wreck in terms of talent. Again, when injuries happen, we are screwed unless someone emerges. To me, past the lack of addressing needs is an overall feel that we drafted limited or very developmental players every round. Now, most draft picks require coaching up, but Humphries struggles with technique, Golden lacks speed, Johnson interior power, Gunter experience vs top competition, Riddick lacks a history of production, JJ size, and Christain lacks a role. Of that list, Riddick and Humphries seem like the best justified players.

I put this on Keim if it succeeds or fails this year. ILB and CB are scary thin positions after Keim stated they needed to add speed at LB and a tall/fast CB to develop. They flirted with adding a power RB in Peterson, and took a large, finesse one instead. I don't know how we plan to control the game on offense with about the same running game as we had last year, and TEs will continue to eat us alive after we lost Cro and didn't add an athletic LB to help. Also, I'm not sure who the Cards are expecting to chase down the QBs in our division.

We will see.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Gunter will have to have a pretty bad showing to not get a spot IMO. I mean they did trade up to get him.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
There were some mixed signals about what we wanted out of RB this offseason. Power was mentioned, but what was also mentioned is someone with a comparable skillset to Ellington. I think the latter was a bigger need. Last year when Ellington went down, it seemed like our offensive creativity was hurt. Our playbook definitely shrunk. A "power back" who you only plan on using in goalline and 3rd and 1 isn't something you draft in the 1st 2nd or 3rd round and honestly, Iupati probably makes every back better in that situation than what we had on the OL last year.

OT I think was a bigger need than most realize. I doubt we were going to re-sign Massie after this year either way and frankly I don't think we were happy with him to begin with, especially if the reports that Palmer got injured on a play where Massie messed up are true.

ILB is scary, but maybe we can mitigate that with non-traditional packages as we're loaded on DL and OLB depth now and we still have Bucannon to do some ILB work like he did last year if need be.

CB depth is the worst for me, but maybe we can still solve that with a late veteran cut.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
A Keim theme that has emerged is that he likes projections-- un polished players with all the physical attributes you would want, but lack experience, coaching, etc.

Last year: Nicklas in round 2 -- a guy with one year of TE experience and 20 years old. John Brown - a small school guy. Logan Thomas in round 4.

This year: DJ Humphries with another year of positive development in college-- would have been a top 10 guy. The picks in rounds 4 and 5 are all about projection--

We will see how it turns out.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Keim theme that has emerged is that he likes projections-- un polished players with all the physical attributes you would want, but lack experience, coaching, etc.

Last year: Nicklas in round 2 -- a guy with one year of TE experience and 20 years old. John Brown - a small school guy. Logan Thomas in round 4.

This year: DJ Humphries with another year of positive development in college-- would have been a top 10 guy. The picks in rounds 4 and 5 are all about projection--

We will see how it turns out.

Very good points.

I read some posters saying that SK is swinging for singles but as you point out these are diamonds in the rough and that's swinging for the fences IMO.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Excellent summary Chop.

Not adding an fast intimidating nasty ILB is stunning. I would've pulled the trigger on Anthony Kendricks or Perryman when we lost out on Dupree & possibly Ray or in Rd 2

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
For what it's worth:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...aft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-nfc-west-teams

Arizona Cardinals
Draft pick: OL D.J. Humphries (No. 24 overall), DE Markus Golden (No. 58 overall), RB David Johnson (No. 86 overall), OL Rodney Gunter (No. 116 overall), DE/LB Shaquille Riddick (No. 158 overall), WR J.J. Nelson (No. 159 overall), TE Gerald Christian (No. 256 overall)
Day 1 grade: A+
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A-
Overall grade: A
The skinny: NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah is one of many who believe Humphries is the best offensive tackle in the draft. At pick No. 24, he's an absolute steal for the Cardinals, especially considering they didn't have to trade up to get him. Humphries will fill an area of need and help the recovering Carson Palmer breathe a bit easier by keeping pass rushers at bay. Golden has great upside and might wind up having a better career than his former teammates at Missouri, such Broncos' first-round pick Shane Ray. Johnson is a perfect fit for Bruce Arians and can fill the big-back role; he's also a top-notch threat as a pass catcher. Nelson teams with John Brown to form the fastest tandem in the league.

Bottom line: The Cardinals added a lot of high upside players who can contribute in defined roles for a team that is really close to a Super Bowl run.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good breakdown chop. Bit disappointed, but there are likely solid pro's here in this group. Humpries, Golden (has to be quicker than Woodley and Shaughnessey) and Johnson.

Gunter and Riddick will be intriguing to watch since we missed out on a high ceiling guy like DuPree. Each has a chance to contribute but there is no pressure on either yr. 1.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, Bradley Sowell, the backup LT an RT, is a proven NFL player. He has proven that we will need to help him with a RB or TE chip on every play.

Here are better way she to build offensive line depth than investing first-round picks. If the strongest argument you can make is that he's an immediate sub at our strongest OL position...? That's not a good pick.

I'd be more comfortable with Sowell stepping into the starting lineup than I would be with Earl Watford.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Here are better way she to build offensive line depth than investing first-round picks. If the strongest argument you can make is that he's an immediate sub at our strongest OL position...? That's not a good pick.

I'd be more comfortable with Sowell stepping into the starting lineup than I would be with Earl Watford.
The argument is that he can lock down the RT spot and locks down the LT spot in case of injury.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The argument is that he can lock down the RT spot and locks down the LT spot in case of injury.

I guess I missed where I was overly critical of the Humphries pick. I look at draft's from the view of the entire off season. Here are the holes we have entering free agency. How did we fill those? Then taking those remaining roster holes, and fill them in the draft. The better you do in free agency, the less you have to draft for need. We had holes heading into the draft, and we left the draft with many of those same holes.

Humphries in round one by itself is a good pick. Value position, potential for growth, helps the QB. But when you couple it with the other picks, it looks like a poor decision. You need to add speed at LB, but then take a slow LB in round 2. Now, he may be a good player, and they doubled down with Riddick who is a faster guy, so I am not overly critical here other than they had to use two picks to do it. Gunter may be a steal, but it is tough to justify a raw player like this when you are leaving glaring holes at other key spots.

I like a lot of the players, but I just don't liek the drop as a whole.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I guess I missed where I was overly critical of the Humphries pick. I look at draft's from the view of the entire off season. Here are the holes we have entering free agency. How did we fill those? Then taking those remaining roster holes, and fill them in the draft. The better you do in free agency, the less you have to draft for need. We had holes heading into the draft, and we left the draft with many of those same holes.

Humphries in round one by itself is a good pick. Value position, potential for growth, helps the QB. But when you couple it with the other picks, it looks like a poor decision. You need to add speed at LB, but then take a slow LB in round 2. Now, he may be a good player, and they doubled down with Riddick who is a faster guy, so I am not overly critical here other than they had to use two picks to do it. Gunter may be a steal, but it is tough to justify a raw player like this when you are leaving glaring holes at other key spots.

I like a lot of the players, but I just don't liek the drop as a whole.

Thats fair enough.
I have always looked at the draft as a crap shoot. Going from college to the pros is a big step for just about every player. You never know who isnt going to make it.
Because of that I want BPA. Take the talent that fits your system with an eye towards need but need shouldnt be the defining factor....maybe just a tie breaker if you have 2 players rated closely.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thats fair enough.
I have always looked at the draft as a crap shoot. Going from college to the pros is a big step for just about every player. You never know who isnt going to make it.
Because of that I want BPA. Take the talent that fits your system with an eye towards need but need shouldnt be the defining factor....maybe just a tie breaker if you have 2 players rated closely.

I agree that you want to use the draft to bring in as much talent as possible. However, free agency should dictate that a bit. IMO, this draft gets an initial draft grade of a D because it didn't fill many holes, and could have very little impact in 2015. That being said, it may have a better grade later on because some of the players taken has pretty high potential.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I agree that you want to use the draft to bring in as much talent as possible. However, free agency should dictate that a bit. IMO, this draft gets an initial draft grade of a D because it didn't fill many holes, and could have very little impact in 2015. That being said, it may have a better grade later on because some of the players taken has pretty high potential.

I'd agree so I'd grade it a C (average)right now with the potential to go up from there.

Humphries - OL - B+
Goldon - SOLB - C
Johnson - RB - B (upside)+
Gunter - DL - B (upside)+
Riddick - WOLB - C- (upside)

I think they are trying to get set at OLB for a change without maybe having to burn a high draft pick on one. It's worth a shot. They have that luxury for one year. CB will have to be addressed early obviously next yr. but at least the OL appears to be a strength for the first time in like forever!

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts.

1) I liked the fact that ARZ picked up 2 pass rushing prospects in Golden & Riddick which I felt they needed.

2) Humphries, if he doesn't beat out Massie this year, will replace him in 2016 because his deal expires after this season. You'd like an immediate impact from your 1st rounder but Humphries looks like a long term investment.

3) I hoped ARZ would tab a CB & ILB as depth is sorely lacking but May 12th cuts look like the last chance for ARZ to pick them up. I would rather have taken Ifo Ekpre-Olomu with second 5th rounder and hope for Nelson to drop to Round 7 which he might have. IEO probably would not play this year, but with Bethel & Powers in the last year of their deals, IEO would have a year to learn the defense and rehab and be ready to make an impact in 2016.

4) Gunter looks to be able to play multiple positions, but can he be an effective player at NT as that is where we need someone to either push Ta'amu or back him up.

5) Like Johnson pick, not a power runner but can get you yards on the ground or out of the backfield as a receiver.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose