Draft Question

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm going on the assumption that we resign Humpries, and at #8 we go defense, and the three players I like (and would be happy with) are:

Simmons, Brown and Kinlaw (Sp?).

My question is, how do you rank them, and if you had the choice of all three, who would you select?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rank them

Simmons
Kinlaw
Brown

Although I think Simmons is a safety and would be a luxury pick.

I don't know what it is about Brown. He looks great in college but I have a niggling feeling he's not going to be great in the NFL. Couldn't explain why.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Simmons is the clear #1 IMO. Not only would he represent the biggest positional upgrade we can make in the draft, he also possesses multiple elite level skills. He could go as high as #3 in this draft and will not get past #'s 8, 9 or 10.

Kinlaw would be next for me. I see a better version of Montez Sweat in this guy (but hope he has a more intense killer instinct) and think we could trade back to 12 to 15 and get him.

Brown to me is a bust waiting to happen. He may be serviceable by contract #2 in the NFL.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kinlaw
Simmons
Brown

I do think folks are overthinking Brown more than they should, though.
Like Quinnen last year, the world needs to stop looking for the next Aaron Donald IMO. He ain't coming through the door anytime soon. AD was built in a lab and perfectly made for this game.

People like QW, and DB are available every year in FA.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like Quinnen last year, the world needs to stop looking for the next Aaron Donald IMO. He ain't coming through the door anytime soon. AD was built in a lab and perfectly made for this game.

People like QW, and DB are available every year in FA.
I don’t think anyone compared Derrick Brown to Aaron Donald.

Derrick Brown reminds me of a better Akiem Hicks with a Fletcher Cox ceiling. So disruptive in both the run & pass game.

Wouldn’t shock me if he has a better pro career than Simmons in the slightest.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nothing other than we drafted 2 safeties last year and it's not a top 5 need.
Understood.

He only played safety 1 out of every 4 snaps last year.

He projects as our starting WILB and Slot Cover guy on TE's. While occasionally rushing the passer when we blitz or if the TE stays in to block.

Isaiah Simmons by alignment for Clemson in 2019: *

Safety: 218 snaps * 27%
Slot CB: 286 snaps * 36%
OLB: 160 snaps * 20%
ILB/MLB: 120 snaps * 15%
Perimeter CB: 17 snaps 2%
He rushed the passer 71 times and had *7* sacks.

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I would get rid of Humpries, david Johnson and Patrick Peterson for picks. We need a linebacker that can cover tight ends, We need Olinex2, We need Dlinex2, We need a a CB and a free safety that's a ball hawk.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you be happy with
1. Simmons
2. OT- Josh Jones
3. DE- Bradlee Anae
4. OT- Lucas Niang
4B.- OLB Zach Baun)

This is going off a draft site.com. It’s not their picks but basing it on who is available when we select.
For instance they have us taking Jordan Love in the 4th. I don’t think so.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Would you be happy with
1. Simmons
2. OT- Josh Jones
3. DE- Bradlee Anae
4. OT- Lucas Niang
4B.- OLB Zach Baun)

This is going off a draft site.com. It’s not their picks but basing it on who is available when we select.
For instance they have us taking Jordan Love in the 4th. I don’t think so.

Simmons and Anae could be had where you have them slotted. The others, mtl no.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Kinlaw is a good pass rusher but he doesn't come without flaws either.

Mental Processing: Has some tunnel vision to his game which leads to some disappointing results to great process reps. Regularly resets the line of scrimmage as a run defender but will fail to diagnose backfield action concurrent with his penetration and accordingly lets possible TFLs run right by him. Smarter at the line of scrimmage when he's two-gapping, does well to break late into gaps while maintaining control of his opponent. Can feel down blocks coming quickly with spotty frequency -- at times gets too oriented on penetration and will turn his shoulders into gaps. Sees and feels screens mighty quick and will disrupt them. Does not feel double teams coming and loses leverage and balance accordingly -- must ID them quicker.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
All prospects have flaws...my problem with Kinlaw is he wasn't as productive in college as he should have been.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons and Anae could be had where you have them slotted. The others, mtl no.
It’s just conjecture base on that website. Even then “my” selection was based on who’s available. Everyone I selected was actually below our time to pick, I.E. Simmons was going 10.
They actually had us taking Lamb.

I just love the thought of two 6’7” OT’s as bookends for the next 5-10 years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Brown (a dog, productive, the anti-Nkemdiche)

Simmons (genetic lottery guy, does everything, straight men want to see him naked)

Kinlaw (unfair explosiveness for his size, could be the biggest game wrecker if he puts it all together)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kinlaw (unfair explosiveness for his size, could be the biggest game wrecker if he puts it all together)

thats the kiss of death for me

you dont take those players at 8th overall

i dont get the Brown indifference

high end player last year, stayed in school and got better. Ideal measurables. Non stop motor, so a very high floor kinda player. Produced in the toughest conference.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Simmons is the clear #1 IMO. Not only would he represent the biggest positional upgrade we can make in the draft, he also possesses multiple elite level skills. He could go as high as #3 in this draft and will not get past #'s 8, 9 or 10.

Kinlaw would be next for me. I see a better version of Montez Sweat in this guy (but hope he has a more intense killer instinct) and think we could trade back to 12 to 15 and get him.

Brown to me is a bust waiting to happen. He may be serviceable by contract #2 in the NFL.

Kinlaw is nothing like Sweat.

Kinlaw is a monstrous 3-4 DE. Sweat is a thin 3-4 backer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose