Draft Maneuvering

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Look for a furious amount of moves in this draft. The number of teams desperate for a QB is significant. So assessing that market is a good place to start. Much may depend on the workouts. Most observers see the top tier to number 3, but a few add a fourth. The top 2 consensus choices are Young & Stroud, principally in that order. A few believe Levis may actually be the top choice. The important thing is what do the teams in possession of early picks believe?

The Bears have made it clear they desire to move. Frankly it’s a no brainer. Since my information is they see Carter & Anderson well ahead of the field, they could trade down to the four slot and still have one of them fall in their lap, plus a nice assortment . Both the team moving up and the Texans surely will take a QB. I going to discount the notion Texas is so dense they might move up to get their choice. Most gurus give a slight edge to Young, but the edge is not significant, especially since Stroud displayed good mobility in his last effort.

So it starts with how far down are the Bears willing to go. To my thinking only the Raiders at 7 and the Panthers at 9 would even be considered. Beyond those choices there are certainly stacks of good players but the Bears’ fans will demand an impact player to be included in their haul. They will go Front 7 so beyond Carter & Anderson, there’s Bresee, Murphy and Wilson. After that there’s a big drop in impact. Both of these teams would need to surrender picks from 2023 & 2024, despite Carolina having 2 number twos in 2023. Both teams need to win fans. Vegas is new to the city and some thought they would already be a contender. I think they have more incentive to win now than Carolina. The question for each is can a QB be the difference in being a playoff contender? Yet neither team would seem deep enough to give up the needed picks and still contend, without many breaks. So, the willingness to move up might not be as great as portrayed. The other issue is the cap and here Carolina is in big trouble, so I’m eliminating them as trading partner for the Bears.

I’ve noticed people mentioning the trade value charts. Throw them away when your talking top tier QBs. They’re a whole different game. If I were the Bears I’d ask for the Raiders 1st & 2nd in 2023, 1st in 2024 and 1st in 2025. I know that’s an overpay, but I firmly believe the Bears much prefer to go with the Indy slot and a sure thing impact player.

As for Indy, depending on what the Colts believe is the order of the QBs, that will determine how much they would invest to get their choice. Certainly they can likely get one of the top 3 QBs by staying put, if they see no major separation. This situation, however, leaves the Bears with limited leverage other than threatening a Raiders trade. I’m thinking they settle for less, like a first & second this year plus a first next year.

I do not see teams looking to take Richardson considering trading for a top 4 pick. He could well not go in the top 10 but his workouts will be critical.

I also think the Cards might be able to leverage a second or third round pick from Indy if Indy stays put and the Cards threaten to trade the pick.

There is also the outside possibility some team could try to trade up to Seattle or Detroit and then move up to the Bears. The problem is that team would give up too much draft capital to contend with just a QB acquisition.

In the end the Bears are historically a conservative team. The Indy route seems their likeliest choice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Look for a furious amount of moves in this draft. The number of teams desperate for a QB is significant. So assessing that market is a good place to start. Much may depend on the workouts. Most observers see the top tier to number 3, but a few add a fourth. The top 2 consensus choices are Young & Stroud, principally in that order. A few believe Levis may actually be the top choice. The important thing is what do the teams in possession of early picks believe?

The Bears have made it clear they desire to move. Frankly it’s a no brainer. Since my information is they see Carter & Anderson well ahead of the field, they could trade down to the four slot and still have one of them fall in their lap, plus a nice assortment . Both the team moving up and the Texans surely will take a QB. I going to discount the notion Texas is so dense they might move up to get their choice. Most gurus give a slight edge to Young, but the edge is not significant, especially since Stroud displayed good mobility in his last effort.

So it starts with how far down are the Bears willing to go. To my thinking only the Raiders at 7 and the Panthers at 9 would even be considered. Beyond those choices there are certainly stacks of good players but the Bears’ fans will demand an impact player to be included in their haul. They will go Front 7 so beyond Carter & Anderson, there’s Bresee, Murphy and Wilson. After that there’s a big drop in impact. Both of these teams would need to surrender picks from 2023 & 2024, despite Carolina having 2 number twos in 2023. Both teams need to win fans. Vegas is new to the city and some thought they would already be a contender. I think they have more incentive to win now than Carolina. The question for each is can a QB be the difference in being a playoff contender? Yet neither team would seem deep enough to give up the needed picks and still contend, without many breaks. So, the willingness to move up might not be as great as portrayed. The other issue is the cap and here Carolina is in big trouble, so I’m eliminating them as trading partner for the Bears.

I’ve noticed people mentioning the trade value charts. Throw them away when your talking top tier QBs. They’re a whole different game. If I were the Bears I’d ask for the Raiders 1st & 2nd in 2023, 1st in 2024 and 1st in 2025. I know that’s an overpay, but I firmly believe the Bears much prefer to go with the Indy slot and a sure thing impact player.

As for Indy, depending on what the Colts believe is the order of the QBs, that will determine how much they would invest to get their choice. Certainly they can likely get one of the top 3 QBs by staying put, if they see no major separation. This situation, however, leaves the Bears with limited leverage other than threatening a Raiders trade. I’m thinking they settle for less, like a first & second this year plus a first next year.

I do not see teams looking to take Richardson considering trading for a top 4 pick. He could well not go in the top 10 but his workouts will be critical.

I also think the Cards might be able to leverage a second or third round pick from Indy if Indy stays put and the Cards threaten to trade the pick.

There is also the outside possibility some team could try to trade up to Seattle or Detroit and then move up to the Bears. The problem is that team would give up too much draft capital to contend with just a QB acquisition.

In the end the Bears are historically a conservative team. The Indy route seems their likeliest choice.
Agree that the Bears are going to work hard to make sure Indy is the place they trade down to.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Unless we're absolutely 100% sold on Carter or Anderson, I'd love to see what kind of haul we can get. (Especially now that Bluto is gone!)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am hearing rumors of the raiders trading Carr to Carolina.
His contract aint crazy so they could do it.
Depending what type of deal they make it could give the raiders both assets and motivation to trade up

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Depending what type of deal they make it could give the raiders both assets and motivation to trade up
Carolina gong to try the Indy route.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Unless we're absolutely 100% sold on Carter or Anderson, I'd love to see what kind of haul we can get. (Especially now that Bluto is gone!)
We can all see how much true stars mean in the NFL. Anderson looks like a perennial Pro Bowler to me. Carter has some freakishly dominant plays.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We can all see how much true stars mean in the NFL. Anderson looks like a perennial Pro Bowler to me. Carter has some freakishly dominant plays.
For sure, if you're certain they're generational players. Plenty of superstars could potentially be had by trading down into the 7-10 range. That, with a couple future firsts, or a first and a second could be awfully hard to turn down.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing but the cap’s a problem.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am betting on Carr ending up in a Jets uniform. With their D, he won´t have to put up as many points as he did in the AFCW and such would limit his tendency to force a few throws each game. My new oxygenated mind (haha) thinks that that is a great fit for him.

How about Lamar Jackson in a Panthers or Saints uni next season?

And then there is always Garoppolo who I have always been fond of. Seems like the kind of play the Colts would try, except for the fact they are probably tired of recycling older QBs, which Jimmy (31) is slowly becoming sitting on various benches. Being high enough in the draft, they surely will try and grab themselves some Luck, spending draft choices instead of money this time around.

So where does that leave Jimmy? I give up!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am betting on Carr ending up in a Jets uniform. With their D, he won´t have to put up as many points as he did in the AFCW and such would limit his tendency to force a few throws each game. My new oxygenated mind (haha) thinks that that is a great fit for him.

And then there is always Garoppolo who I have always been fond of. Seems like the kind of play the Colts would try, except for the fact they are probably tired of recycling older QBs, which Jimmy (31) is slowly becoming sitting on various benches. Being high enough in the draft, they surely will try and grab themselves some Luck, spending draft choices instead of money this time around.

There are whispers that Jimmy G...or the goat himself, could be in silver and black next season.
Wouldnt mind jimmy... but if Davis lets McD bring in Brady...someone needs to kick his ass

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Panthers cap would not make Jackson a fit.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I like Levis as well. Looks like another Josh Allen.

That would be awesome to get a high pick for moving down one spot and still getting our guy.

Thanks Harry I look forward to all your write ups

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would we trade down if it meant losing out on Carter or Anderson? Trading down just 3 spots could easily get us an addition 2nd and 4th.
We could still get our pick of a lineman on either side of the ball, the same with out other pick and a rb. OR, we could trade to move back into the first.
Of course the further we move down the more we’d get in return.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like Levis as well. Looks like another Josh Allen.

That would be awesome to get a high pick for moving down one spot and still getting our guy.

Thanks Harry I look forward to all your write ups
The more Levi’s hype the better. I mean this is the kind of stuff that got Zach Wilson drafted #2.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more Levi’s hype the better. I mean this is the kind of stuff that got Zach Wilson drafted #2.

I can see teams falling for him.

You can't coach that arm. He's very similar to John Allen in that respect, and he's not as rough as Allen was coming out. He's a top 5 pick IMO. But like Allen will take a bit to develop.

He doesn't have Allen's enormous size though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can see teams falling for him.

You can't coach that arm. He's very similar to John Allen in that respect, and he's not as rough as Allen was coming out. He's a top 5 pick IMO. But like Allen will take a bit to develop.

He doesn't have Allen's enormous size though.
I like him more than I like Stroud or Young. Young is just TOO SMALL. I don't care about height as much as I care about weight. Young is really skinny and short for an NFL QB. Stroud is an Ohio State QB which means he will not likely be very well prepared to succeed in the NFL and he doesn't really have any really impressive traits.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Allen is going to get a lot of GMs fired since people are going to compare every tall white QB prospect with a big arm from now on.

Levis could be closer to Zach Wilson than he is Josh Allen.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh Allen is going to get a lot of GMs fired since people are going to compare every tall white QB prospect with a big arm from now on.

TBF Josh Allen may be the reason a team takes Anthony Richardson in the 1st round as well.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Josh Allen only got drafted that high because of Carson Wentz's early success. There were huge comparisons with their small schools.

Pretty much just like how Byron Leftwich and Roethlisberger were hot picks from the MAC back in the day.

QBs over 6'3 actually have a statistically lower chance of success. I don't think height will be a huge factor in the draft this year, but QBs over 6'1 and under 6'4 seem to be in the sweet spot for success.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think if Lamar doesn't get the FT & leaves the Ravens he might go to the Dolphins. It was rumored before that's where he wants to play. He's from Florida & close to Miami. I just think Tua is one more concussion away from hanging it up & the Dolphins know it.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Or he could be closer to what everyone thought Zach Wilson would be? He has a very strong & accurate arm & he's tough as nails. His one main problem is locking onto a WR & not going through his reads which can be fixed, he's very smart. Had Liam Coen stayed as the OC at Kentucky that part of Levis would already be fixed. Coen is back at Kentucky now but Levis is gone. A good QB coach in the NFL will get him where he needs to be. He never took the chances passing the ball like Zach Wilson did at BYU.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose