Draft Is cool, but free agency is first.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who do you like as sleepers in FA? Guys you think are more talented than they have been in the league so far due to misuse or bad quality around them?

I like James Washington for our other outside WR (I'm not going to say WR2 because the league has changed).

I think he has much more in the tank than he was allowed to show with the dead arm of Big Ben at QB in an offense that was check down city.

He's not super quick but he's big bodied and knows how to get open down field. Career YPC of 14+ yards. 17+ in his best year.

I think he could be had on a cheap short term deal that would be a bargain.
I liked him coming out of college but it seemed every other receiver jumped him on Pittsburgh’s roster which left somewhat concerned.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the temptation to Run It Back is going to be extremely strong. We may see one or two marquee free agent signings, but I'd be surprised to see too many. According to OvertheCap we only have $7.8MM in space going into this offseason (thanks again, Keim).

Gah! Get used to seeing Jordan Phillips and Devon Kennard on the 2022 roster, because there's little chance you can replace them for the money you'd get back cutting either of them.

You're better off trying to find a way to extend Humphries (LT) and Pugh (LG) and keeping the left side of your line together for the next three years. You could open up maybe $20 million in cap space by doing so.

You could also restructure Rodney Hudson's deal, but that would nudge his 2023 cap number to around $14 million and create around $10 million in dead money on his voidable 2024 year. That would free up another $8 million or so in cap space.

Priority free agents to retain:
Chandler Jones
Zach Ertz
Maxx Williams
Christian Kirk
Colt McCoy

Preferred free agents to retain:
Dennis Gardeck
Zeke Turner
James Conner
Max Garcia
Antonio Hamilton
Chase Edmonds
Antoine Wesley

How would you like to reunite WR Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins? Fuller can fly and has the size (6'0") to play on the outside. He's coming off a failure to prove much on a one-year prove it deal with the Dolphins, but could be the scratch-and-dent free agent for $3-5 million that can have a high impact.

How about rolling the dice on another Steelers interior OL in RG Trai Turner? Turner is just 29 and coming off a one-year deal with Pittsburgh where he played over 90% of their snaps.

Man, pickings are slim out there at RT (did you know Bobbie Massie is still playing in the NFL? He played over 70% of the snaps with the Broncos last year!) and CB.
I like the Fuller idea as he is a guy who probably benefits from a reduced snap %. A little like Desean Jackson in that regard. If you told me we moved Rondale to the Kirk role and gave Fuller Moore's snaps I think that is a pretty good 3/4 combo if the price is right.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My big issue is that if you pay Kirk 12 mil, I don't believe there is a world where he is able to outperform his deal. He is a limited player. He is not very consistent. He has as many "ugh" plays as he has "wow" plays and I don't know that I would ever trust him in key spots.

He had a prime opportunity to step up when Hopkins was out and I think most would agree that he didn't. I need more than that from a 12 mil player.

juza76

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
My big issue is that if you pay Kirk 12 mil, I don't believe there is a world where he is able to outperform his deal. He is a limited player. He is not very consistent. He has as many "ugh" plays as he has "wow" plays and I don't know that I would ever trust him in key spots.

He had a prime opportunity to step up when Hopkins was out and I think most would agree that he didn't. I need more than that from a 12 mil player.
I never understood how he was so dynamic in college, getting yards after the catch and having fieid vision and being so different with the Cardinals
Another one preferring not getting hurt((

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Hero
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think this is at all realistic.

Mike Williams was the WR2 receiving leader this season with 1146 yards. (He's UFA this year actually and would really suit this team but likely cost too much)

Tee Higgins was next with 1091.

Then Mike Evans (Godwin had more targets and yards) with 1035.

Then Kirk with 982.

Christian Kirk was the 4th ranked WR2 in the league last year.

I'm not sure those here that think he is some kind of WR3 and not worth $12m have been watching what he's doing.
I don’t go by just stats. I go by the eyeball test and his impact. I’d say our opponents respect him but certainly don’t fear him.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Hero
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is EXACTLY my thought. I’d go as far as saying we just witnessed his ceiling this year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here would be my FA signings:

WR
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Cedrick Wilson
Retain Kirk

OG
Laken Tomlinson
Conner Williams

DL
Akeim Nicks

CB
Kevin King
Levi Wallace

BritCard

ASFN Hero
Reaction score

We paid Larry far more than this from 2012 onwards for less value.

$12m is 5.7% of the cap.

We paid Larry over over $14m per year in 2011 when he was 28 on a 7 year deal. From 28 to retiring at 37 this is what we paid him in cap %

201116.00%
201212.00%
20138.10%
20146.30%
20157.30%
201610.00%
20179.20%
20189.50%
20195.80%
20206.00%

Outside 2011 he only broke 1000 yards 3 times in the subsequent 9 seasons.

His best value was in 2017 when he had 1156 yards for 9.2% of the cap, or 1.25 yards per 0.1% of cap space.

If Kirk had 1000 yards at $12m (5.7%) it would be 1.75 yards per 0.1% of cap.

Kirk would offer far better value than any year of Fitz's last 9 years.

£12m is cheap in today's market for a WR2 capable of 1000 yards. I believe every team in the league would pay that.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1976suns