Draft Grades

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Clear disconnect from most of the posters on this board.

A+ from PFF
A- from ESPN
A from NFL.com
A from Draft Kings
A- from USA Today

Those are just the first 5 i see when I Google NFL draft grades.

Can any of the scouts on the board explain all the negativity surrounding our picks from within?

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
PFT - Florio
PFF - Cris Collinsworth

I scanned everybody's PFF grade, and most teams graded highly. Post-draft grades are about as meaningful as mock drafts - until these guys suit up and play, we really don't know who did well and who didn't. I'm just looking forward to a new direction under a new coach & GM.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is about next year's picks. And I get it. They should be.

But if what we got this year was it? We would be getting trashed. Three guys with major injury history. Three other guys who have concerns about size and strength. A QB who was an ok pick. They could all turn out great, but not one you can take to the bank will be on the team three years from now.

Reactions: PJ1

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Probably impossible to judge a draft until the 3rd or 4th year following. I find the only sensible way to judge it immediately is simply to compare it to other options you may have had or might have created for yourself at the time, and to the other players those options could have produced.

I can't help but judge this one on how open we were to other options/opportunities that may have presented themselves as the draft progressed. There is always the temptation to get locked in on a player you like, preventing you from having as open of a mind you may have otherwise, thus missing out on those opportunities that show themselves in the brief moment of real time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Clear disconnect from most of the posters on this board.

A+ from PFF
A- from ESPN
A from NFL.com
A from Draft Kings
A- from USA Today

Those are just the first 5 i see when I Google NFL draft grades.

Can any of the scouts on the board explain all the negativity surrounding our picks from within?
A lot of them rate the capital gained from trade backs highly in their draft grades.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Round 1 wasn't bad, although I would have liked to stay at 12, take best available (Gonzalez), and have the extra 2nd rounder.

Round 2, the pick wasn't terrible, but not getting a C was.

Round 3...let's not talk about it lol

Day 3, I'm not going to say much about because I don't really know much about those guys.

Overall, we had some huge, gaping holes in this roster. After this draft, we have many of those same holes.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Round 1 wasn't bad, although I would have liked to stay at 12, take best available (Gonzalez), and have the extra 2nd rounder.

Round 2, the pick wasn't terrible, but not getting a C was.

Round 3...let's not talk about it lol

Day 3, I'm not going to say much about because I don't really know much about those guys.

Overall, we had some huge, gaping holes in this roster. After this draft, we have many of those same holes.
bottom line assessment, Stout you see the forest amongst the trees…

when camp starts, I’ll put on my rose colored glasses but not now

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I find this draft totally bizarre. We didn't draft for need and we didn't draft for value. We lost five starters from last year and we have not found replacements for any of them in free agency or the draft. With all of our picks we had better players available at a position of need, but we passed. Our third-round picks were just wasted on injured players. We have no centers on our roster. Yes, we got picks for next year and that is great, but that does not mean we cannot draft impact players this year. We lost a third round pick due to tampering. We could have had a good player with that pick. This is MO fault. So far, I am not impressed with his drafting or free agency signings. Are we a better team than we were last year, I don't think so.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The parts I can understand as a fan and not a professional scout seemed great (trade value). We have drafted like garbage for years. We did something different. We know next year is going to suck anyway. I am prepared to roll with it.

if we pull 2 starters out or rounds 4-7 this draft is light years ahead of any draft in a long time. So, let’s see what we got. Way too soon to bother grading. Besides, most sights give 90% A’s and B’s which isn’t how it should work.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were the later picks influenced by the remaining scouts?

Some of these picks reminded me of the old regime

Will Ossie have his guys in place next year and have a different type draft board built?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Overview: Rookie GM Monti Ossenfort knocked the top of his first draft out of the park, beginning with a trade out of the No. 3 spot that netted Arizona 2023’s 33rd overall pick plus first- and third-rounders in 2024. The Cardinals moved back up to secure the same guy they would’ve drafted had they stayed at 3, this year’s premier tackle prospect in Johnson. Ossenfort then dealt No. 33 in a move with Tennessee that brought Arizona pick No. 41, a 2023 third-round pick swap, and a third-rounder in 2024. I loved the value in both deals for the Cardinals, and their pick at 41 was even better; Ojulari is a polished outside rusher who can bend the edge and addresses a huge need. Williams is coming off a torn ACL but should be cleared before Week 1. Injuries torpedoed Wilson’s college production, but he shined at the Senior Bowl and profiles as a physical possession receiver at 6-foot-2, 213. Gaines projects best as an interior swing lineman. I think this was a smart, forward-thinking draft for a transitioning team in a semi-rebuild.

Grade: B+

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have always felt good with my teams draft picks as the spin from local media and the team is overly positive on every player. Then over the next few seasons reality hits and you see that the draft picks were not very good. This was especially true in the Keim era. Bottom line on this year's draft is some players look good and some are unknown to me. I do like that we have stockpiled picks for 2024 as this surely is a rebuild year.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We got unbelievable equity for next year and picked a good group of athletes. Even if you disagree with our 4th and 5th round plays, this was the best draft we’ve had since 2003 imo.
Respect your point - but we could have traded alot crap to move up to Will Anderson also - so rare to have a chance at best overall frat player - Texans got 2 ! Bird in the bag is worth 2 in the bush - then move up for Paris ? He will start , but would he start over every player on every team on the NFL ? I think Texans got it right - cards may have been better if they didn't trade at all

When he takes Humphies job - then we can talk about his value compared to will Anderson -

Last edited:

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I find this draft totally bizarre. We didn't draft for need and we didn't draft for value. We lost five starters from last year and we have not found replacements for any of them in free agency or the draft. With all of our picks we had better players available at a position of need, but we passed. Our third-round picks were just wasted on injured players. We have no centers on our roster. Yes, we got picks for next year and that is great, but that does not mean we cannot draft impact players this year. We lost a third round pick due to tampering. We could have had a good player with that pick. This is MO fault. So far, I am not impressed with his drafting or free agency signings. Are we a better team than we were last year, I don't think so.
Value based on what though? Many were clamoring for Wypler in the 3rd. He went in the 7th. I don’t know if many have an actual grasp on the relative “value” of players from like the 3rd round on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave