Draft Grade

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would scream at my screen every time they ran it last year. I can't remember a single time it gained more than a few yards, and quite a few times, it lost yards.

Those bubble screens to DHop convinced me more than anything else that Fitz was done last year. He must've whiffed on the block altogether a dozen times.
Same

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't he the one that drafted most of the players on the 2008 team? All of them were from one draft? I thought he had a couple of good drafts in a row. I may be remembering it wrong but I always thought the thing with Denny was he was better at player eval than coaching.
2004. Drafted Fitz, Dansby and Antonio Smith. Maybe one other. But those three guys were absolutely leaders and playmakers on the 2008 team. I think The next year they drafted Rolle, who also contributed. But after that, those drafts were pretty barren.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antrel Rolle and JJ Arrington were solid players during our Super Bowl run. Same for Deuce and Pope. That's eight major contributors in the draft from Denny's tenure.

pope and Arrington really made very little, to any impact.

was Arrington even on the roster for the Super Bowl? I know Pope actually caught a touchdown... a TOUGH catch too, which was shocking and about the only thing he did his entire career with us.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Antrel Rolle and JJ Arrington were solid players during our Super Bowl run. Same for Deuce and Pope. That's eight major contributors in the draft from Denny's tenure.
Arrington was a very replaceable third down back. Pope has less than 80 yards receiving on the year, also easily replaceable. I wouldn’t count them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
2004. Drafted Fitz, Dansby and Antonio Smith. Maybe one other. But those three guys were absolutely leaders and playmakers on the 2008 team. I think The next year they drafted Rolle, who also contributed. But after that, those drafts were pretty barren.
Fitz, dansby, docket, and smith. It was incredible draft.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

was Arrington even on the roster for the Super Bowl? I know Pope actually caught a touchdown... a TOUGH catch too, which was shocking and about the only thing he did his entire career with us.

I thought that was Ben Patrick.....who later worked as a security guard at Marcos De Niza HS LOL.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

03 wasn't a bad draft class years later. Pace (who became a solid player), Boldin, and Gerald Hayes. Pace turned his career around in 07 (like Haason Reddick!) and moved on in 08. But to find three solid starters, one being a HOF caliber player is a good draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That draft was really insane. Had we been able to get a QB and become a perennial playoff team it would’ve been one of those much-hyped drafts. Even two of the “misses” (the centers) brought some value.

• fitz
  • Dansby
  • Dockett
  • Stepanovich - started all 16 as rookie and most games in 2005 and 2006
  • Antonio smith
  • Leckey - eventually made 20 starts
  • Navarre - only true “thud”

Dan H

Reaction score

Arrington took the handoff for the flea-flicker in the NFC championship game.

Red on White

Veteran
Reaction score
The contrast between players at the draft event vs those at home is interesting

Sunglasses on indoors
Strut
Confident swagger
Monotone delivery
Almost bored by the proceedings

vs

Waves of relief
Emotional
Tears
Hugs
Joy
Can't believe it

Maybe those at home are less confident of being drafted but at the event they seem to put on a facade for the interviewers. Does that fake, confident persona they are trying to project finish once they step inside the building for training? Or do they carry on the facade whenever they're in NFL company?

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was Ben Patrick.....who later worked as a security guard at Marcos De Niza HS LOL.

you may be right. Whoever it was, it was a stunning catch considering moment and level of difficulty and previous nothingness as a player.

PACardsFan

Reaction score
I don't know, you asked if he was on the roster. Are you moving the goalposts? :shrug: He had a carry and 2 catches for 35 yards in the Super Bowl, too.
Yes, Arrington had a couple of critical plays during our 2nd half rally. Unfortunately, I'll always remember him by his 4th & 1 against Washington when that sudden gust of wind took him down short of the 1st down & we lost the game:bang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pokinmik