Draft Grade

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, May 3, 2021.

1. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Pattern emerges - with few exceptions just about every prospect has at least one elite measurable - a 4.39 or better forty, a 42.5 VJ or a sick press or 3-cone.

If a player fails to make the squad, it won't be due to subpar athletic talent.

daves, Krangthebrain and Chopper0080 like this.
  2. SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd Pawnee, Skidi Clan

I can't justify anything above a C when being objective.

R1 - just seems like there may have been better players available going by who so many of the pundits were excited about, plus apparent we had much bigger positional needs. Pundits aren't what's important though, history will decide the reality.

R2 - seems like we are putting a huge expectation of our offense being greatly improved with the addition of a very small often injured WR. This seems just like another Keim visionalization of a draft outcome which would rarely come to fruition. Huge injury Red Flag!

Later round picks - the usual suspects, filling needs way beyond their capabilities, lots of blue sky totally dependent on our 'excellent' coaching.

Just can't see anything other than a strained grade of C. A very Cardinal-mediocre draft.

Solar7 and Stout like this.
  3. cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd Registered

All the Keim haters can say what they want but the draft is already a success because D-Hop and Hudson are All Pros. I have very little doubt Collins will be
    Pro Bowl caliber. The possibility of this draft being one of the teams’ all-time bests hinges on whether Moore can stay healthy and return to his 2018 form.

4. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Uh, hello Kool Aid man? D-Hop and Hudson weren't draft picks, they were traded for using draft picks. They don't make a DRAFT successful. Keim can't say "look at my awesome draft pick Hudson!" He can say "look at my awesome trade for Hudson!" instead, but, again, not the draft.

Solar7 likes this.
  5. QuebecCard

QuebecCard Registered

A for effort.

But

B is the grade.

6. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

Pretty much how I feel, B or even C since that's average and that's how I feel at the moment, nothing jumped at me and made me go "wow I can't believe we got him" but then again there really wasn't any players in this draft I would've said that about lol

Chris_Sanders likes this.
  7. gimpy

gimpy Registered

Then, nobody gets an A?

8. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I think just like pick value impacts draft grades, so should picks used for trades. A draft grade is essentially an evaluation of how a team used it's picks. If they used them to acquire a veteran player, that counts IMO.

For me when evaluating draft classes, it is about where a player was taken, do they fit the scheme, and does it make sense from a team building perspective. That is why this class is a B.

Collins - Fits the scheme, was drafted in the approx range and fits the build of super-athletic LBs who are physical and can run and cover. That is a B for me.

RMoore - Fits the scheme, was drafted in the approx range and fits the scheme. B

Same goes for the rest of the players we drafted. None seemed like huge reaches or steals which is what you want. All fit our roster and scheme so no real wasted picks outside of potentially Menet. How the players progress is up to additional factors that most people can't really know.

9. CSDFan

CSDFan Registered

I really like this.. I would like to see the new draft grades 3 years in the future just like this and see which group was the most accurate and all of the teams reranked.

daves and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  10. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I don't agree with your grades and whatnot, but that's a matter of opinion. I want to feel super stoked about them, I do. And, as usual as a darksider, I very much hope I'm wrong.

Either way, Keim did good work bringing those two players in. What gets me is people trying to overinflate what we did in the draft by boasting Keim's draft is better because of non-drafted players. Yeah, no. Folks can't make him out to be a better drafter like that.

Solar7 and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  11. CSDFan

CSDFan Registered

I don't know how to grade.. In some ways I don't like to give an A unless we have the right people to fall to us and that is out of our control.. no matter who we picked then I could see no better than a B... Then not my favorite picks all the time... so maybe a b-? But again no way to get an A with this draft unless there were trades we could have offered that would have allowed us to move up or down to get a better value.

I think it was an excellent idea to give our pick up to get a probowl center though.. this draft just seemed really bad except at the very top of the draft..I think that should be added in so maybe it gives us a solid B?

The people who say trades don't factor in for draft picks I don't know how that would be the case.. That means if we traded our entire draft for five pro bowl players we would get an F for the draft?

daves likes this.
  12. gimpy

gimpy Registered

You should grade the "draft" strictly on the players /picks you have in the draft. If you have only one pick, and it is a really good outstanding pick, then give yourself an A. If it is a bad pick, give yourself a d or f.
    My opinion.

13. gimpy

gimpy Registered

Sounds like, to me, he drafted, for the most part, BPA.
    Most on here say that is how you draft, BPA, not for need?

Seems that is what he may have done?

daves likes this.
  14. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I think it was an average draft overall and is an above average one when Keim flipped a 3rd rounder in a questionable draft year for Rodney Hudson. Whether someone calls that a B or a C is kinda a battle in futility.

So, how does one get a draft grade of an A? I would argue that volume has a lot to do with teams getting an A. Tough to see a draft where a team just sits and picks 7 guys getting more than a B especially if you want to remove the scouting element from the grade. I think that is where you are better off just evaluating the draft class annually, year over year. Did the player meet expectations after year one? Year 2. Year 3. Did they warrant an extension? Did they stick in the league? the question is how do you factor in the team's part in their development or lack thereof.

For example w/ last year's class.

Isaiah Simmons probably grades as a C at this point. He demonstrated the athletic skills we thought he had when he was drafted but definitely did not meet expectations. I don't know if it was all his fault, but he still did not make the impact that most expected from him.

Josh Jones was also probably a B. He played some snaps but was not able to beat out Sweezy or Beachum for a starting spot. He did stay healthy which is important. He was a 3rd round pick so I feel he met expectations.

Fotu probably a B.

Lawrence a C. Injury.

Weaver a C. You would have liked to see some sort of contribution.

Eno a C. Same as Weaver. No impact but still on the roster.

Stout likes this.
  15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Well he can, but it has to be “look at my awesome draft pick, a 32 year old pro bowl center for $10M!” Which is much different than drafting a project center for draft compensation.

Stout likes this.