Don't rush to judge Cardinals coach Steve Wilks

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While this writer makes good points, truth is, it's more than a play here and there. It's an inept offense all year long. It's keeping Dawson. It's hiring McCoy. And it's losing the locker room. Last week proves Wilks has lost the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am a fan of not being reactionary. Of seeing the big picture. Looking at how it could have gone. This is silly.

We have regressed as a team at most positions. Other than our pass rush, there are not, well any, bright spots to look at for this year. (Kirk and Rosen might be good moving forward, the o-line injuries make it hard to judge).

But, the o-line issues of the past couple years have already been with us, and this team has regressed, with a bad feeling coming from the players, and a lot of potential for disaster. Good on the players for not quitting (more). But, no, I don't want Wilks back, and I'm quickly souring on Keim.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've judged him. Hes not a head coach in the NFL. He coaches scared

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Easily to talk about not judging when you don't own the team and have no skin in the game. Apparently losing seasons and fans not renewing season tickets are not economic enough for the author.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This article could have been written about any other bad team and ended with the same results, should have, could have, only if. It's easy to pick out one play and say IF. I'm pretty sure you can pick out a half dozen other plays during the games and say the same thing. If only Bradford had thrown the ball to Fitz, if only Dawson had made the FG, if only Bynes had held onto the INT, if only Jones had not held, if only Gresham had not gotten called for unnecessary roughness. See that is the problem, bad teams make these mistakes more often than the good teams. Some of it is lack of talent, some is discipline, some of it is coaching. All of it adds up with the results being a loss instead of a win. I could just as easily say why was Jones in there to block on the run play (Oakland game) when he's the worse blocker of all the TEs on the roster? The bottom line is this team is just not good enough to win these types of games.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to ask what is the intent of writer? For balance, why is it not noted it is a 0-16 team with a couple of bad bounces or a healthy Garappolo

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wilks has never lost a game on days the Cardinals don't play. So he has that going for him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
“If you’re just doing things spur of the moment, if you’re reacting quickly, if you’re reacting emotionally, you can reach a much different decision in many cases than if you just took the time, if the emotion wasn’t there, if you thought about things a little bit more calculatedly or rationally,”

I have sat back and looked at this team from every angle, looking for some reason to give Wilks and company a break.

This team is HISTORICALLY BAD. They are writing records by the week by how poor they are as a team.

This is the Cardinals, and let's face it, they have been a laughing stock more time than not in the NFL, and this is the worst team in their history.

This writer, with all due respect, is acting like Steve Keim during a NFL draft, and thinks he is just smarter than everyone else.

The would'a, could'a, should'a is nothing but nonsense. Not to mention, it is already going to take years to try and rebuild the fan base for this organization, and another year of this would doom this organization.

The vast majority of games this year have been unwatchable.

EDIT: You also have to bring into account that this season was over before Halloween, everyone has had lots of time to emotionally detach from this team and season and look at it logically.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards are 1-3 in games decided by a TD or less. Generally, teams are .500 in those games. So there is a little bad luck involved.

But no one is 100% in those situations. Would the outlook on the Cards be that different if they were 4-12 (won 75% of one-score games) but got hammered in the rest of them and blew out only the 49ers?

I doubt it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol don't judge him because of a few losses and throw out the massive blowouts. No thanks. Our offense is historically bad. Our great defense has been reduced to rubble. Everything but special teams has went to total poo.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not thinking emotionally, I'm thinking strategically. We don't have an offensive mind that can compete in today's NFL, and the defense doesn't match our talent. This puts us at a disadvantage, where even if we could somehow become decent, we just won't be able to compete against the big boys. If the best we can hope for under that situation is we play our best and they play their worst and we eke out a win, that's our team being strategically inferior. Not a good place to be. Not necessarily bad if you just want to compete to make the playoffs. Bad if championships are your goal.

If we get a stud OC somehow, they'd eventually be poached to be a head coach either at the NFL or college level. Then we are back in the same situation again, either needing some talented lower level assistant to pick up the slack or needing to identify, lure, and hire another OC. Then hoping our offense can get on page with him and we don't lose a season trying to integrate it all.

While it's just a guess, there is probably not going to be too many DC's poached as a head coach for the forseeable future. Maybe if one can finally figure out a defensive scheme to stop what is going on. Wilks isn't that man. So what good is a defensive coach that, even if we overlooked all the bad decisions, doesn't gain us anything strategically? Certainly not on offense, and no signs of it on defense.

It seems the ideal setup now is having a good offensive mind as hc/oc and hiring a quality veteran DC who probably could of been a head coach in yesterday's NFL (and maybe was at some point).

Either way, while wins are the most important thing, if we had won those three games, our offense still would of been inept and taken us nowhere and our defense still wouldn't match our players. Hell if we won one or two of those games we might still have disaster Mike McCoy as OC.

I think where the author errors is in the thinking that we are only mindless fans who are only looking at wins. But there is something deeper here.

Emotionally is wanting to fire because we have lost many games. Almost everyone here (virtually all season long) have been pointing out HOW we are losing. Sure emotions have come with it, but at the core underneath those emotions are all the tactical and strategic errors this staff has shown to make and is designed around.

Our posters here have been pointing out how inept our offense and defense is. How critical turning points have been miscoached. How the coaches seem to speak as if they know it's the same problems over and over again, but for the most part are powerless to stop them from continuing. Not just our head coach, but the collection of coordinator and assistant coaches. There's probably a decent one or three on the staff, but they are being completely overshadowed by the overall ineptness of the staff as a whole. Nevertheless they aren't the ones who will make or break this staff.

To their credit they have made some changes, and have fired McCoy, but these coaches are now partially coaching in ways that are foreign to them. Where the wellspring of innovations is not flowing. Perhaps down the road BL will turn into a decent OC, but that time is not now. I would like to keep him on to learn under an innovative mind and hope he can progress in subsequent years.

Even if we were 5-6, this team would still reek of suckage under the surface. While I'm sure more would be willing to give Wilks another year, he would be on shaky ground.

As others have stated we are historically bad. Our offense is so bad, but the league is having one of its highest scoring outputs ever. We are breaking records bad. Not just setting them, but taking good ones away from former Cardinals. Last week our defense allowed Rivers to take a % completions in a game record away from Kurt Warner while he was with us. We're on the path to a 2-14 season, maybe we can scratch out a win against Detroit or Atlanta and end up 3-13.

Finally it just would be fair to point out that even with the disaster unfolding with Wilks, Keim/MB have plenty of blame to shoulder as well. Maybe Keim can turn it around or maybe it's time to show him the door. But nowhere that I can see is keeping Wilks some part of a legit plan for the future.

Right now Wilks is the reverse Midas effect. Everything he's seemed to touch has turned to...

You must be registered for see images attach

...and no one wants to take another bite of that.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I think its generally absurd to fire a coach after one season. You don’t even give the guy a chance to get his legs under him. Wilks however, looks like he doesn’t have any ability to succeed as a head coach in the NFL. Three of the loses were absolute garbage. Unwatchable blow outs where the team was getting blown up on nearly every single play. The first two happened in September but last weeks was well in into the second half of the season. The worst factor however, is our putrid performance all season long coming out of the half. That’s squarely poor coaching and seems to show that HCSW has no idea what he’s doing and hasn’t made any progress in figuring it out. Bottom line, this was an awful hire. We need to try to correct it and move on ASAP.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Notice that just about every post starts with "I do not believe in firing a coach after one year........."

Then it goes on to state how horrible this season has been and how this situation is beyond normal circumstances. Again, historically bad is an outlier of bad.

This is not a normal situation happening right now with the Cardinals. Thus the actions are not going to be typical either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to ask what is the intent of writer? For balance, why is it not noted it is a 0-16 team with a couple of bad bounces or a healthy Garappolo

bingo. They were down by double digits to a horrendous Niners team at home in 4th quarter and got some breaks to beat them inside of 1 minute. And they were just dominated again by the Niners in their away game and got a bunch of lucky bounces/breaks to barely win that game. The breaks average out over a season and you are what your record says you are and our record says we are atrocious. So does our points differential. So do our offensive and defensive rankings.

That article is a bunch of complete and utter horse-crap.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson