Don't Look Up (Netflix)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually just watched. I won't spoil but there's a ton of references to current events, very satirical but entertaining and funny. Too long.

The irony the person that told me to watch it is about as opposite of my political views and apparently missed the satire in it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tried to watch it and got bored

Yeah some of the reviewers absolutely hate it. I watched half, did a walk and then the other half.

Should have been shorter but I did like it, Lucy didn't

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a couple chuckles, but thought it was a bit of a misfire.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mildly entertaining movie, subtle critique of science deniers who imperil all of us.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meryl Streep having her face chewed on at the end and Jonah Hills performance was worth it alone...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Finishing it now. I’ve been mildly entertained. For sure too long. Lots of unnecessary filler. I don’t know how anyone could miss the satire or the people that represent them (don’t look up).

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Watched it last night and didn't like it all. Way too long with too much filler. They could have cut at good 45 minutes and not lost anything. It felt like it didn't know what type of movie it wanted to be either. There were like 3 different types of satire competing for attention and they didn't mesh well. They needed to either go over the top like it felt like Jonah Hill was going for or pull it back to a more high brow or cutting satire like it felt some of the other characters were going for. I'm wondering if there were too many cooks in the kitchen when it came to the writer's room.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched it last night and didn't like it all. Way too long with too much filler. They could have cut at good 45 minutes and not lost anything. It felt like it didn't know what type of movie it wanted to be either. There were like 3 different types of satire competing for attention and they didn't mesh well. They needed to either go over the top like it felt like Jonah Hill was going for or pull it back to a more high brow or cutting satire like it felt some of the other characters were going for. I'm wondering if there were too many cooks in the kitchen when it came to the writer's room.

The part I didn't like was the continually coming back to the joke about charging them for free snacks. I don't know if that was supposed to be satire too, yes we know we're beating a dead horse, but that bugged me.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The part I didn't like was the continually coming back to the joke about charging them for free snacks. I don't know if that was supposed to be satire too, yes we know we're beating a dead horse, but that bugged me.
They did drag that one out too. Actually they ruined it unless it's spoofing something I'm not aware of. I thought it was a good initial joke. Haze the newbies and give a hair of depth to the general. Then it :deadhorse:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The satire writes itself and it still didn’t work for some reason. Odd considering McKay has done generational comedies.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
That Cate Blanchett is a smoke show.

Cate F'n Blanchett is the F'n queen of the world. Love her.

I guess this movie was supposed to be satire, but it really feels like this would be reality if heaven forbid an event like this were to actually happen during a republican anti-science administration in this day and age. I have no faith that the world could handle it, we would be doomed.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The satire writes itself and it still didn’t work for some reason. Odd considering McKay has done generational comedies.
He’s much better with his broad comedies than his political satire/social commentary, IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cate F'n Blanchett is the F'n queen of the world. Love her.

I guess this movie was supposed to be satire, but it really feels like this would be reality if heaven forbid an event like this were to actually happen during a republican anti-science administration in this day and age. I have no faith that the world could handle it, we would be doomed.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm surprised most of you didn't like it. I thought it was pretty clever. Loved the cast, especially Leo.