Donald Trump is going all in on banning abortion

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LoyaltyisaCurse, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

We’ve passed the inflection point where all governmental entities are politically based a long time ago.

LoyaltyisaCurse likes this.
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

It's a disaster and it will only get worse.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Probably already in this thread but remember, Trump is on the record REPEATEDLY before he was POTUS as being strongly pro choice. This is just one of those Quid Pro Quo deals where people helped get him elected and in exchange he's trying to get abortion overturned for them.

DemsMyBoys and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  4. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

CJ Roberts has been telegraphing his position that he won't overturn prior decisions unless the rule is unworkable all term long.

He's been very clear about it. He's laid it out consistently, time and time again. If you don't satisfy the four prong test, he's going to uphold stare decisis.

UncleChris and Mainstreet like this.
  5. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

There are still religious groups that are against contraception as it prevents life. Some classify most contraceptives as abortifacients, even though they medically are not.

There is also the line of thought that contraceptives and sex ed encourage sex without the goal of reproduction, which increases sexual activity, increased pregnancies when contraceptives fail and ultimately abortion demand

Also, the 20 weeks is arbitrary and hurtful.

It's chosen because it gives way to arguments and restrictions - try to set new precedent or challenge existing.

It's framed in a way that draws in people who don't know and haven't experienced these things.

It grabs emotion.

The reality is that 20+ week abortions are incidental to the total number and the overwhelming majority related to pregnancies that have complications are development issues not compatible with life

One of my in-laws and his wife are genetically aligned that there is a 25% chance in any pregnancy that she internal organs will not develop

Of course you don't know your genetic peculiarities such as this until a problem presents and it's being diagnosed

It's also not known until 19-22 weeks when that development would be visible...... Or not

These are overwhelmingly people who really want to have kids, were excited about their pregnancies and then had their world crash on them ...... Not exactly "abort or get off the pot" - it is a decision being made for them because reproduction is messy and complicated

ozzfloyd likes this.
  6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Bodha hasn't posted in almost three years, but good post. :)

7. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

With Kel not posting I haven't been looking so much for zombie threads

8. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

:lol: So true!

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I owe you an apology. A year ago, I told you that you were naive and had your head in the sand about Roberts being the man who would likely keep this country from completely going to hell. You were right. The man seems to understand the moment and how crucial his votes are to keep society from going complete and utter bonkers.

10. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

No worries; and certainly no apology necessary, especially given some of the opinions coming from the Thomas/Alito (can we call them "Thomlito" now?) group.

Politicization of the Courts would greatly diminish their power and give that power to the Executive branch. Roberts understands this.

But then we also had that CFPB decision today. The only thing I liked about that opinon was this passage:

Because the Government agrees with petitioner on the
    merits of the constitutional question, we appointed Paul
    Clement to defend the judgment below as amicus curiae.
    He has ably discharged his responsibilities. ​

In other words - even though you lost Paul, we'll give you a shout out for taking this case for free.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 1:50 PM
  11. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

I remain with my assertion from last year. The country is in big trouble if Roberts is the swing vote. And, he won’t be the swing vote if Trump wins. It’ll be a 7-2 court full of ideologues so far right he’ll be considered a “liberal” justice.

Jersey Girl likes this.
  12. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

The human reproductive system is so prone to dysfunction it is a great as an argument AGAINST intelligent design. Even to get pregnant for humans difficult. About 1/4 of fertilizations miscarry. We are so bad at getting pregnant that we are one of a very few mammal species who need to have sex constantly to ensure survival of the species. Although, I personally don't see that as a bad thing. ;)

Jersey Girl likes this.
  13. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Hubba-hubba!!!!! :D

14. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Can you tell me the difference between this case and Whole Women’s Health? Specifically why Roberts seems to be on the opposite side of his earlier ruling?

15. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

100% pro abortion after watching this. :lol: