Donald J. Trump: 45th POTUS

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Brian in Mesa, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Apparently Trump is proposing Los Angeles round up the approximately 60,000 homeless people and house them in empty government warehouses. The administration people who leaked the story are denying there are firm plans to "round people up" just they are looking at taking some old FAA buildings and converting them to shelters for the homeless because Trump wants to get people off the streets of LA.

It's all in the details of course but doing something to help the problem is actually not a bad idea. I'm just so skeptical of the guy I assume he has friends who would make a profit off this plan and that's the real motivation but maybe someone convinced him doing something like this would help him win an election.

2. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

Why does this sound like the migrant detention centers phase II?

Giving the administration the benefit of the doubt for just a second, a housing first policy for the homeless would be very effective - if and only if other services are readily accessible, such as counselors (mental, substance abuse, and job), the areas were safe and secure, the facilities were decent, and there was some sort of transport mechanism to get residents to their jobs once found.

Russ Smith likes this.
  3. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Trump never does anything to help the 99%, in fact he goes out of his way to sabotage. And the chance of him doing something positive for California is less than zero. Tigers don't change their stripes, this is surely a scheme.

nashman likes this.
  4. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Lucy wouldn't pull the football away again, would she?

nashman and Russ Smith like this.
  5. Russ Smith

The folks in LA are very concerned they thought the administration was coming to LOOK at the problem and offer help, and instead they're hearing rumors of this big FAA building roundup plan. One article said they are not planning to force people to move into the shelters, but then it added part of the rumored plan included razing makeshift homeless shelters.

As LVG said the opportunity to do something really good is there, I just have little faith in Trump doing that. The place I get on 101 every night to go home from work in San Jose has a ton of issues with homeless shelters they keep tearing them down so there is now a bunch of stuff on the sidewalk there that was collected but hasn't been picked up yet. Apparently they are giving people time to go through and get their belongings first.

6. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Uhhhhhh...... no. Why in the world would I want to do that?????

:D ;)

nashman and LVG like this.
  7. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

1) It's nothing but a ploy to try and get some sort of CA support to say, "I solved the homeless problem and Dems can't!"
    2) You can rest assured there will be tons of civil rights abuses, for if they are willing to cage immigrant children and families in deplorable conditions, just think how they will treat homeless.
    3) It's likely going to enrich contractor friends.
    4) It was DRUMPF admin who cut billions from programs designed to help with the homeless.

LVG likes this.
  8. Russ Smith

Ordinarily I'd assume it was to get votes but I think he's smart enough to realize how unlikely it would be for him to win California. HRC got nearly 62% of the vote in the last election in CA and while she was very well liked in CA(she beat Obama in the 08 primary in CA, I expect whoever the Dems put up is still going to carry the state fairly easily, California does NOT like Trump. I'd be disappointed if it's not closer to 65% of the voters this time around in CA.

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

sounds like what happened in HBO's Years And Years...

10. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Trump says vaping is a problem. Suddenly there are a ton of advertisements about people dying from it. Statistics show something else. Am so sick and tired of ******** things that people call problems when they ignore true issues.

LVG, Russ Smith and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  11. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

These stories were out before he said anything - they are what prompted him to say something.

Shoot, this discussion was brought up here in AZ well before he said anything

In my industry, there has been really alarming talk for the better part of a year

12. Russ Smith

I actually got called by a company in the Bay area about a Facilities Manager job and when I asked what they did they are a vaping company! I politely declined. I can't imagine having to work at a company and be in charge of among other things health and safety knowing full well what their product does to people.

13. Western Font

Western Font Registered

Fed cuts rate; market falls. Who does POTUS blame now? Edit: I see he’s still blaming the Fed for not cutting enough.

14. Russ Smith

I'm betting the markets fell because they see it as a bad sign that either Powell is doing Trumps' bidding, or Powell thinks the economy is in trouble. Trump is on record he wants negative interest rates so nothing he can do is going to satisfy Trump.

15. Russ Smith

And the orange dictator did it again as promised he has blocked California's right to stronger emissions standards on cars claiming it is both causing cars to be more expensive, but LESS safe.

Newsom is arguing Trump is merely doing the bidding of oil companies who have tried for years to get this rolled back. Reagan of all people got a waiver in 1967 to allow California to set their own standards as long as they were more stringent than the US ones. Other states have stuck to similar guidelines and as a result emissions have been significantly lower in the US for awhile now.

Trump claims because car prices will go down, people will upgrade to newer cars that pollute less. I've yet to see an explanation of why he claims safety will improve.