Donald J. Trump: 45th POTUS

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Brian in Mesa, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

The market manipulation continues. Trump announces a "great" deal with Japan that according to current details is actually an agreement to some principles to a deal they'd like to sign in a month or two if nothing happens. And then this morning Trump says China called him asking to restart tariff negotiations after their top negotiator called for "calm" and essentially a cease fire of escalating tit for tat tensions so the 2 sides could catch their breath. So far there's no confirmation and most of the reports are that other allies at the G7 were actually pressuring Trump to end the trade war before it destroys the global economy.

There's some indication they did talk but nobody knows who called who and again there's no indication yet that Trump is telling the truth saying China said they want to make a deal. Given this is at least the 3rd time he's done that and the first 2 times it was quite clear China wasn't actually asking for a deal, I'm skeptical but I hope he is actually telling the truth this time.

I don't think he realizes how close he is to pushing us off the edge economically.

2. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

I find it amazing that the supposed "smart guys" in the stock market give a shred of credence to what the orange shitepoke says.....

3. Russ Smith

I don't think they believe him but they trade on what he says because they expect he's going to move the market anyways so why not get in on it.

If you were just an average guy with Etrade, and you had some magic twitter that gave you a 10 minute notice on what Trump was about to post on Twitter, you could have made millions just trading all the manipulations he does. I'm convinced someone is making money doing that, if not him, friends and or family.

LVG likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Suge White

This. Market growth is largely motivated by anxiety, not logic or trends. If the guys on Wall Street operated objectively, the Dow would be at 65,000 by now.

UncleChris likes this.
  5. Russ Smith

David Kotok, the Chief Investment Officer for Cumberland Investors, wrote an opinion piece on Market Watch calling the current tariffs a hidden tax and used an analogy to let people see the impact. He said if Trump goes forward to the 30% threshold on China that he's threatening, the impact on the average consumer would be comparable to putting a 2 dollar per gallon tax on gasoline.

He points out that the money Trump keeps touting as pouring in from China, is actually pouring in from US taxpayers.

"Trump has taken the tariffs level to a 30% threshold on some items. Apply 30% on all China trade and the total approaches $200 billion. This large amount functions as a direct consumer sales tax — imposed on Americans and collected by the U.S. Treasury as a revenue. A metaphor for a hit to consumers of this size would be a $2-per-gallon permanent hike in gasoline taxes. That is an appropriate way to view what a 30% tariff on all China trade would look like."

It continues to amaze me that even people who realize he's lying and that China is not putting billions of dollars into the US treasury from tariffs, something even Kudlow admits, that people still support him because "he's fighting." And as the article say do NOT let Navarro off the hook here, he's the "expert" that convinced Trump to use broad tariffs and not targeted ones. China is targeting specific things for retaliation, things they know will harm Trump, farmers etc. THe US instead of targeting tariffs going after technology or IP, went after things like washing machines and steel, if this is about China's legitimately unfair trade practices, target them in those areas, not areas that have little to do with that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-consumer-2019-08-26?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

UncleChris likes this.
  6. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

7. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

8. Russ Smith

Trump is now not only denying he asked about it he's blasting the reports he said it.

Someone joked about Sharknado I think that is literally the plot of at least 2 SyFy movies where they discuss doing that to stop super storms.

9. Kel Varnsen

Didn’t he get something from a movie about prayer rugs at the border, too?

10. Russ Smith

Sicario 2. He was talking about prayer rugs, duct tape, and really fast black cars that are so fast the authorities have a hard time catching them. All 3 were directly taken out of Sicario 2 apparently(I've never seen the movie).

11. Kel Varnsen

It’s great that the President can’t distinguish reality from movies.

12. Russ Smith

I did a little googling apparently in 2014 the then Lt Governor of Texas invented a story about prayer rugs at the border, it was debunked, and he later conceded he never saw them himself or saw pictures he just heard about them. it went viral on right wing sites and apparently it's where the makers of Sicario 2 got the plot idea.

Sarah Sanders not that long ago said we'd caught over 4000 suspected terrorists trying to cross the Southern border, the actual number, under Trump, is 41, and of those, 35 were American citizens or permanent US residents. There's actually no confirmed evidence of a single Muslim Terrorist being caught trying to cross the border during Trump's reign of error.

13. Kel Varnsen

Canada’s gonna get nuked.

14. Russ Smith

He'll just buy himself another bride

15. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Return of the Mac-ron.